The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

To me it is best to trade Tanev at some point this year, moving him with some term should net a decent return. He will be missed, but as the injuries add up by the time the team truly does become competitive his current deal could be over & could be over 30 before we are competitive.

Still think TB could be in "win now mode" going into next year and could table us a nice offer, they are deep with good prospects. 

On 2018-06-14 at 3:25 PM, aGENT said:

He's not undervalued.

-We're rebuilding. He has trade value (because he's valued ironically) for futures, that we need.

-He's injured a lot, limiting his usefulness and increasingly diminishing the above ^^^ point.

-IMO, he has no desire to re-sign here and will be looking to head East when he reaches UFA.

^Exactly. And if JB is serious about rebuilding and playing youth, let’s see if we wind up with more than 6 picks this year. Love Tanev and our D sucks with or without him, but he’s worth trading for picks and prospects.

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

2 years left on the contract but likely only get 1 year worth of games out of him lol. He’s reaching salo level in terms of frequency of injury 

I can see the Leafs making a HUGE push for Tanev.  To get him out of Vancouver will cost a lot.  I see it costing 2018 first and 2019 first and a C prospect like that Liljegren guy.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see the Leafs making a HUGE push for Tanev.  To get him out of Vancouver will cost a lot.  I see it costing 2018 first and 2019 first and a C prospect like that Liljegren guy.

It’ll cost a lot for sure but doubt we get 2 1st for Tanev lol

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

It’ll cost a lot for sure but doubt we get 2 1st for Tanev lol

Agree. The most he brings in a trade, imo, is a 1st and 2 2nds or equivalent. Even though TO has a very late first this draft I would still take that trade. Get a mid level UFA D to try to partially replace Tanev's minutes.

10 hours ago, AC Readership said:

As much as a lot fans don't want to trade Tanev, you have to move him though. Don't want more injuries to hurt his value and/or him to get hurt around next year's trade deadline so the Canucks can't trade him.

He needs to go, by the time we are cup ready Tanev will be retired or gone - he is not part of the future so why keep him.    Canucks should have traded him years ago.  Poor assess management. 

9 hours ago, Johnnymuthapuckincanuck said:

Ummmmm John Shannon saying most they are getting offered on Tanev is a second round pick. Probably by Toronto

Shannon is desperate to be taken seriously and has failed miserably on almost all of his "reports". He's a joke. 

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Shannon is wrong on this one.

maybe he's going off the lowball TO from lat TDL? I have a hard time believing any GM other than Lame-o-rello would waste a phone call with an offer like that. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

link? 

I didn't post it originally but Google pops up an AM650 host recapping that Shannon said that on their show.

The reality is that if that is the market value for Tanev... then he is staying here.  There is no reason to believe that we would get (or take) less than a mid 1st rounder and a prospect for him... or he is the centrepiece in a deal that brings us back a top 6 forward (preferably a 2nd line centre).

Tanev isn't a #1 D, but he is a solid complementary #2 on many teams and certainly a 2nd pairing guy on basically every team in the league.  Those aren't easy to come by.

I've always believed Tanev's trade value doesn't match with his actual impact on a game. 

The problem is, he's always hurt and doesn't put up a lot of points even when healthy. 

If we want to cash-in on Tanev it has to be at the TDL during a good, injury-free season.  It ain't happening this draft.

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I've always believed Tanev's trade value doesn't match with his actual impact on a game. 

The problem is, he's always hurt and doesn't put up a lot of points even when healthy. 

If we want to cash-in on Tanev it has to be at the TDL during a good, injury-free season.  It ain't happening this draft.

I agree, moving Edler at draft might be easier but always seems like he wont waive ntc and who knows canucks might want to give him an extension this summer

Archived