The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Dumbest question of the day. Is his name Quinton or Quinn ? If it is Quinton, why is the short version not Quin ? Yes.......it's summertime.

it's quintin (with an 'i'), but he chooses to go by quinn. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I meant that he can choose to not sign and go back the NCAA or sign and go to the AHL. That's still choosing between the two. 

Gotcha......sounded like you thought he could try and make the Canucks and then decide.  Thanks for clearing that up

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

My friend Richard is a Dick.  :rolleyes:

Philosophy class here!

Gaylord is a first name,

Gay is short for Gaylord;

Richard is a surname,

Dick is short for Richard; 

Therefore, it's entirely plausible to have a name like Gay Dick!!!

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hughes is ranked as the 5th best fantasy rookie by NHL.com after Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Pettersson. He's ranked 210th out of the top 250 fantasy players for next year. 

On a side note, I really don't understand how Zadina rates higher than Pettersson. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

On a side note, I really don't understand how Zadina rates higher than Pettersson. 

Yeah that boggles my mind. Even svechnikov. Maybe he’ll become a better player than pettersson but as of right now I’m quite certain EP is the better player. His extra year of development is to thank for that

58 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Green prefers lefties to play LD and righties to play RD if possible. And, if QH does play in the NHL next year, it makes sense to start him on his natural side: LD. He would presumably play PP and protected (3rd pairing) 5-on-5 minutes. It would put him with Stecher if Guddy can handle 2nd pairing 5-on-5 duties (with Edler and Tanev as the first pairing. The other option would be let Stecher play shutdown with Edler as they were not bad on that role last year, and play Tanev with Hughes in a 2nd pairing role.

But, I like this quote from Boeser.

image.png.8d71a02be0b526ce4d7b548e67a54fec.png

I have the same view about the value of Hughes going back to Michigan, but it means a lot more coming from Boeser. I think Utica would also be good, but I think the NHL would be pushing it. Even if Hughes is "ok" in the NHL, why burn a year off his ELC and RFA status just for an ok year, when he is likely to be a star down the road.

And, as for his development, there are a lot of negatives that arise from starting too early. In the same interview, Ballard emphasized how hard the long 82 game grind is for young players. It is easy to build in bad habits, shortcuts, etc;, or just lose confidence. Would much rather see Hughes dominate in the NCAA or have a good year in the AHL on a winning team in Utica.

Yeah but the way players are deployed any way it's not even among righties and lefties. Our left D averaged more minutes if ice time per game than the righties. Our supposed top 4 Righties were averaging the same if not less than the lefties. Preferring players on their strong side is all fine and dandy but you do yourself a huge disservice by not at least entertaining the idea of having 2 lefties together or two righties together. Pouliot and MDZ killed penalties on the same pair quite regularly.

As for College, I am 100% fine with him going anywhere the team/he thinks is best. My point was purely on the assumption he is NHL ready now.

26 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah that boggles my mind. Even svechnikov. Maybe he’ll become a better player than pettersson but as of right now I’m quite certain EP is the better player. His extra year of development is to thank for that

Svetch too, although that one is at least a little more understandable considering how high Svetch went.

Maybe I have my homer goggles on, but I'm still of the mindset that Pettersson is likely the second best prospect in the league after Dahlin.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Green prefers lefties to play LD and righties to play RD if possible. And, if QH does play in the NHL next year, it makes sense to start him on his natural side: LD. He would presumably play PP and protected (3rd pairing) 5-on-5 minutes. It would put him with Stecher if Guddy can handle 2nd pairing 5-on-5 duties (with Edler and Tanev as the first pairing. The other option would be let Stecher play shutdown with Edler as they were not bad on that role last year, and play Tanev with Hughes in a 2nd pairing role.

But, I like this quote from Boeser.

image.png.8d71a02be0b526ce4d7b548e67a54fec.png

I have the same view about the value of Hughes going back to Michigan, but it means a lot more coming from Boeser. I think Utica would also be good, but I think the NHL would be pushing it. Even if Hughes is "ok" in the NHL, why burn a year off his ELC and RFA status just for an ok year, when he is likely to be a star down the road.

And, as for his development, there are a lot of negatives that arise from starting too early. In the same interview, Ballard emphasized how hard the long 82 game grind is for young players. It is easy to build in bad habits, shortcuts, etc;, or just lose confidence. Would much rather see Hughes dominate in the NCAA or have a good year in the AHL on a winning team in Utica.

I imagine the plan (if it goes down this route) is to get him to play in college for another year and then sign him at the end of the year and get to play the few games at the end of the season which therefore burns a year of his ELC anyway. This seems to be the norm in bringing in college players. There is a small chance he pulls a Werenski and signs an AHL contract after the college season which would save them that first year of ELC.

So the question is more to do with whether he will develop better in college or Utica/Vancouver. I can see the concern in bringing him into the NHL too early, but he offers something we do not have and the way his father has brought him up, he doesn't seem to be the type that will take shortcuts and develop bad habits.

I think there are 2 major concerns with his physique... we've seen great offensive d-men below 6' but can he bulk up and make smart plays against aggressive forwards?

Well, we all know he's an elite skater with high hockey IQ...  so, he just gotta eat 5 meals a day, some junk food preferably, and then hit the gym hard the next morning!! Done!

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hughes is ranked as the 5th best fantasy rookie by NHL.com after Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Pettersson. He's ranked 210th out of the top 250 fantasy players for next year. 

Thatcher Demko got some love in the honourable mentions as well!  Great to see our prospects getting hyped from people outside of Vancouver!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Svetch too, although that one is at least a little more understandable considering how high Svetch went.

Maybe I have my homer goggles on, but I'm still of the mindset that Pettersson is likely the second best prospect in the league after Dahlin.   

Homer goggles would be to say pettersson is ahead of Dahlin. 

Being realistic about pettersson is to understand he will more likely than not be one of the best Swedish forwards of all time. Maybe it all comes crashing down, but good chance his name will be remembered along guys like sundin, foresberg, the Sedins, zetterberg, etc. Even if he does not live up to the heights he is currently on pace for, he will still develop into a very good top 6 forward in the NHL. 

NHL sleeps on pettersson because the only hockey he has ever played on North American Ice was the wjc this year. Even though it was some of his worst hockey if the season, he still looked really good so most fans understand he has talent. They just don’t realize how much. 

And and I just want to be clear that I am being as objective as possible with my views on pettersson’s future. I honestly believe that he is the 2nd best prospect in the world right now, and if Dahlin wasn’t  out being the greatest D prospect of all time, pettersson would be number one. 

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1