The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Hughes currently ranks 6th in the NHL in TOI/game (26:00 per game), which is a huge jump over his previous years. His old average over his first two years was 22:18. So far, I haven't seen any huge negative effects, but I do wonder how long he can keep playing 25/26 minutes per game without ill effects. If he can maintain his level of play, it will be an impressive season for him.

Even if his defense isn't amazing, being able to handle an increase of almost 4 minutes per game without further degradation of his game would be good.

650ea808285ba50f102c5e05eb08baeb.png

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And Makar blows past QH's feat with his 100th point in just 108 games last night

This can not be true, multiple posters here have informed me that Makar sucks.

Now the league is making up stats and stuff to make Hughes look bad. :(

curse you NHL.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Quinn Hughes uses the highest percentage of cap space of anyone on the team at 9.6%. Did we give him a little too much money ?

Hughes is a friggin’ steal for his cap cost.  Guys like “look at me mommy” Makar, “Green Jacket” Jones, and “Doogie Howser” Hamilton are recently done deals where there is gross overpay.  

#beatruefan

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a friggin’ steal for his cap cost.  Guys like “look at me mommy” Makar, “Green Jacket” Jones, and “Doogie Howser” Hamilton are recently done deals where there is gross overpay.  

#beatruefan

Yep we’ve seen how this team performs without him.

Hes the only player that consistently drives offense.

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

#beatruefan

Yeah i gather that now after reading a few pages of the thread. There just hasn't been that much discussion about the contract

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Quinn Hughes uses the highest percentage of cap space of anyone on the team at 9.6%. Did we give him a little too much money ?

This team collapses without Hughes, as we've seen. He plays an insane amount of minutes and although his defense isn't incredible, this year looks better than last year for him so far. I don't think he'll ever win a Norris, but there's a solid chance he can get top 10 in voting a few times if his defense holds up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Quinn Hughes slides into 89th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist on the winner tonight.

88.  Cam Neely RW 201 51 53 104
89.  Quinn Hughes D 138 13 91 104
90.  Donald Brashear LW 388 50 53 103
91.  Hilliard Graves LW 196 42 61 103

Yah, the first couple games were a bit rough, but Hughes has really gotten into a groove this season.  He seems so much more responsible at even strength and just seems super comfortable back there.  Honestly, the entire top two pairs have been beyond stellar to start the season.  Quinn Hughes, OEL, Tyler Myers, and Tucker Poolman are all plus defensemen at +5, +1, +1, and +3 respectively which is incredible considering how much trouble the forward group has had so far this season.

And people thought our defense was the bad part of our team entering the season lolol. :bigblush:

I do still think we lack depth on the backend unlike at forward, but I did have the prediction that this defense could be a top 10 D group if they all played to their potential and so far they currently are a top 10 D group according to almost every stat out there.  Our D and goaltending have really kept us in games, we're not getting blown out which is a good sign.  Let's just really hope that the Rangers game is a turnaround for our offense.  I am intrigued by the Garland-Petey-Miller line though they looked good last game.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m happy to eat a bit of crow this season. 
Ive never been a big fan of the game Quinn plays, but he is really stepping it up and evolving this year.  

His defence has actually been pretty good this year, and still putting up his points.   

Good stuff!

With the way he skates and high hockey IQ it was only a matter of him wanting to improve his D game. As we can all see he is skating players away from high danger scoring areas and using his stick to break up plays. He stills has problems with larger players along the boards but so do a lot of the smaller and average size D men in the league. 

Edited by vancan2233

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

With the way he skates and high hockey IQ it was only a matter of him wanted to improve his D game. As we can all see he is skating players away from high danger scoring areas and using his stick to break up plays. He stills has problems with larger players along the boards but so do a lot of the smaller and average size D men in the league. 

His skating and IQ seem to make up for being built like a preteen.  
His stick work has been fantastic, as well as obviously being fast than everyone else on the ice.  

And I think you are right.   To me, it just seems like he is finally actually trying to play defence now, and is smart/skilled enough to do it. 
Let’s hope he gets better and keeps it up

With his three-assist night, Hughes is now on pace for 60 assists on the season, which would break the old record that Dennis Kearns holds for most assists in a season by a Canuck defenseman with 55 assists.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:37 PM, vancan2233 said:

With the way he skates and high hockey IQ it was only a matter of him wanting to improve his D game. As we can all see he is skating players away from high danger scoring areas and using his stick to break up plays. He stills has problems with larger players along the boards but so do a lot of the smaller and average size D men in the league. 

Agreed. Sometimes I wonder about people who feel the need to criticize a 22 year old in the same manor as a player who has been in the league for years. It was clear that he had (and still has) some learning to do. However, he's found his niche on the team and has a solid foundation of skills (that more players can't even say that have) to build on.

He's evidently a very studious player. Given that, he's going to continue to learn and develop. There may be hiccups here and there, but that's no reason to cause concern at this point as it's part of the learning process.