The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually I watched these guys a lot.  My views or their play differs from yours though.  I don't want either, and firmly believe JB and Bracket will not want either one as well.  Neither is a player a team wins with.  

Zegras is a player you win with. He has proven multiple times this season that he can carry a line by himself with hughes being injured.

17 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well like our team previously,  you don't get far in the playoffs with a smaller soft team...

Boston is the in the finals wih one of the smallest lineups in the nhl. Size does not always equate to toughness or the &^@#ing sharks would be a dynasty by now.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know....we call it IQ, and sure there is a IQ where you teach a drill and one players just doesn't get it...………..but

Time and distance is the actual IQ...……...how fast you process what your eye saw and how fast you react to it...……...

Example.

If you slow down Pettersson and then ask Virtanen, he will accomplish it 10 out of 10 times, but once you speed it up, he can't...that is on the offense

On the defensive side...……...IQ is how fast you recognize something...…….which again is all related to time and space, and how fast your brain can process it

slow it down and a player will see it, speed it up and they can't

That is why they say Gretzky could slow a game down on a rush....his reaction time to a defenseman's positioning and movement or a forward back checking was 

lightening fast, compared to anyone else...…..It is the same for Lidstrom……..he just processed it faster at all levels

IQ is also instinctive 

Rick Middleton a Center back in the day for the Bruins was as slow as molasses, but instinctively fast, in his plays and movements......John Beliveau as well 

The Jake has a low hockey IQ is such a cdc myth, and a lame one at that.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jake has hands of stone and has his head down too much when handling the puck.  He needs to be viscous on and off pucks.  No fancy stuff

If we draft yet another LHD more so with the #10 pick does that mean there is a decent chance we may look to move OJ? Ideally after he shows he can play so we can get some okay value for him?

Not sure why GM JB would even consider taking a LHD with the #10 pick. Our coach plays his D on their natural side unless we are forced to double shift due to injuries. So with that said you have your top pair guy in Hughes, then our OJ, so why have 3 drafted D all taken in the top 10 and all be LHD? Leaves us with a nice left side but absolutely nothing on the right side aside from Woo, who is no lock to be a regular D but I do like his game.

I would avoid taking any D with the #10 pick. We need some quality higher end wingers to help out our top 2 C. I know wingers are never as valuable as D but I think we can go D heavy with our other draft picks but we need a highly skilled, smart F who can skate well with the #10 pick. 

With all that said if GM JB has something up his sleeve ala a big time trade I dont see the need for us to us a 3rd top 10 selection for a LHD. Could JB try to move OJ for an equivalent RHD prospect from another team? RHD is usually more sought after and harder to find.

Canucks draft another LHD Swede in Broberg to take over for Edler. We had Ohlund, then Edler potentially Broberg?

• Upvote 1

2019 NHL Mock Draft by Jokke Nevalainen

by Jokke Nevalainen on May 24, 2019

2019-05-24-2019-NHL-Mock-Draft.png?resiz

Mock drafts are always fun, so I figured I’d do one. I decided to limit this to the first round for now, and obviously the order of the final two picks is yet to be decided but I assumed the Bruins will win the Stanley Cup for the purpose of this exercise. Without further ado, let’s get to it.

1. New Jersey Devils – Jack Hughes, LC

Best player in the draft by a slim margin. A franchise center with huge offensive upside.

1. New York Rangers – Kaapo Kakko, RW

Hughes and Kakko are 1A/1B, so this is an easy choice. NHL ready winger with franchise player potential.

1. Chicago Blackhawks – Alex Turcotte, LC

Number one center upside. Competes hard and plays a great all-around game. Eventual Toews replacement.

1. Colorado Avalanche (from the Senators) – Dylan Cozens, RC

The Avalanche need scoring depth beyond their top line, and they can build a great second line around Cozens. He has top-line upside but not in Colorado.

1. Los Angeles Kings – Bowen Byram, LD

Best defenseman in the draft by a wide margin. The Kings could use some help on their blue line. Great offensive tools but needs to improve some things in the defensive side of things.

1. Detroit Red Wings – Vasili Podkolzin, RW

Top-line winger who can be used in all situations. Competes hard and never gives up. Will be a great playoff warrior.

1. Buffalo Sabres – Trevor Zegras, LC

A very talented offensive forward who may end up being a winger. Would be a great fit alongside Eichel.

1. Edmonton Oilers – Cole Caufield, RW

He’s tiny and not a great skater but boy can he score goals. Could be a nice fit alongside McDavid.

1. Anaheim Ducks – Kirby Dach, RC

Big playmaking center with massive upside but some red flags as well. The Ducks are hoping they can find the eventual replacement for Getzlaf.

1. Vancouver Canucks – Matthew Boldy, LW

Top-six winger who can play in all situations. Would be a great fit alongside Pettersson.

1. Philadelphia Flyers – Peyton Krebs, LC

Great two-way center with top-six upside. Isn’t flashy but gets the job done at both ends of the ice.

1. Minnesota Wild – Alex Newhook, LC

Speedy and very talented top-six center. The Wild aren’t scared by the fact he played in the BCHL. I believe Newhook is the final player on tier two which started at pick three.

1. Florida Panthers – Victor Söderström, RD

Best right-handed shot defenseman in the draft, and the Panthers could definitely use one in their top-four. A very reliable two-way player who isn’t far off from playing in the NHL.

1. Arizona Coyotes – Philip Broberg, LD

A big defenseman with great speed, the Coyotes are hoping he learns everything possible from OEL and becomes a similar player as he is. There are some concerns, though.

1. Montreal Canadiens – Ville Heinola, LD

A very smart offensive defenseman who can run Montreal’s power play in the future but probably needs a couple of years before he can play in the NHL.

1. Colorado Avalanche – Cam York, LD

The Avs took a forward with their first pick, so they take the best defenseman available at this spot. York is an offensive guy who can put up points.

1. Vegas Golden Knights – Moritz Seider, RD

A big two-way defenseman with top-four upside and pro experience from Germany. Seider’s offensive game is a bit underrated but it shouldn’t be.

1. Dallas Stars – Arthur Kaliyev, LW

A one-dimensional goal-scorer – the Stars are hoping they can develop him into an NHL player. A lot of boom or bust potential.

1. Ottawa Senators (from the Blue Jackets) – Ryan Suzuki, LC

A playmaking center with top-six upside is exactly what the rebuilding Sens need.

1. New York Rangers (from the Jets) – Thomas Harley, LD

Adding a risky offensive defenseman seems like a good choice after making the safe selection at No. 2.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins – Bobby Brink, RW

The Penguins hope Brink can eventually play with Sid or Geno – and it could work well for them.

1. Los Angeles Kings (from the Maple Leafs) – Raphaël Lavoie, RW

Has played center but projects to be a winger. Great size and goal-scoring abilities.

1. New York Islanders – Matthew Robertson, LD

The Isles add some depth to the left side of their blue line. A big two-way defenseman is always a good choice.

1. Nashville Predators – Phillip Tomasino, RC

A talented top-six center who could eventually replace Turris.

1. Washington Capitals – Pavel Dorofeyev, LW

A very talented offensive winger with high upside but some red flags as well. The Capitals aren’t afraid to draft Russians, and for a good reason.

1. Calgary Flames – Spencer Knight, G

The Flames get their goaltender of the future – and they desperately needed one.

1. Tampa Bay Lightning – Nicholas Robertson, LW

Small but very talented offensive winger – seems like a good fit in Tampa.

1. Carolina Hurricanes – Patrik Puistola, LW

A goal-scoring winger with top-six upside – and the Canes love Finns. Puistola can also make plays and be reliable defensively as well.

1. Buffalo Sabres (from the Sharks) – Nils Höglander, LW

Small but sturdy. Loves to engage physically. Great puck-skills. A fan favorite wherever he plays.

1. Anaheim Ducks (from the Blues) – John Beecher, LC

The Ducks add another big center – Beecher is a sure-fire NHL player, the only question is how high is his offensive upside.

1. Boston Bruins – Alex Vlasic, LD

A massive defenseman who skates really well and earns the trust of his coaches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well, yes!

Does he have hockey IQ compared to who? LOL

Personally, I think his processing speed is slower than his, foot speed, as compared to some other NHL hockey players

Not all NHL hockey players...…...it totally depends who he is playing against...…..no different than chess, it is all a matter of degrees

That does not mean, he has no IQ, just not Wayne Gretzky's 

Most people do not understand how fast this game is, sitting in front of a TV or even in the stands

And how fast the processing of the game is done

Edited by janisahockeynut

3 hours ago, Isam said:

Boston is the in the finals wih one of the smallest lineups in the nhl. Size does not always equate to toughness or the &^@#ing sharks would be a dynasty by now.

Heh and that’s despite the refs being in the back pocket of the Sharks.

45 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Luongo + 13th + Oilers 3rd

for

Markstrom + 40th +  Sutter(50% retained)

Draft Seider and Boldy

Noooo 

no trading our #1 goalie :)  

Its going to cost a lot to move up or get an extra pick in this year’s draft.  Our best bet is taking a desperate playoff team and sending them Tanev and Sutter, and taking a bad contract back. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I can see two being available for Vancouver and both being of interest - Matthew Boldy and Victor Soderstrom.   Not a clue why some in this thread are not keen on Soderstrom, the kid can flat out play and could be precisely the perfect pairing partner for Quinn Hughes.   Strong skater, solid defensive game and enough offense so that he could even be a second powerplay option.   Boldy is uber talented and is a slightly better skating (not a great skater) version of Brock Boeser at the same age with a lethal shot.

Either one of these would be a solid pick for the Vancouver Canucks and both project to be very good NHL players.

I like Soderstrom a lot; especially with Hughes (he has the talent to keep up with Quinn, but is also defensively sound).  He is an elite skater, great hockey sense and actually does have an offensive upside (unbeknownst to CDC).  While other kids are playing in Jr leagues, or lesser Euro leagues, Soderstrom is playing in the top adult league in Sweden.  Doesn't hurt that he is a RD as well.

Boldy is also a very good choice on the left side and his style of play seems like the ideal linemate for Pete.  I also like Krebs, du to the lack of playmaking talent on the Canucks.  If he ended up on Pete's line, his style of play would force Pete to shoot more.  It doesn't hurt that he plays C and LW.

I would be happy if JB picks any one of these 3 players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If we draft yet another LHD more so with the #10 pick does that mean there is a decent chance we may look to move OJ? Ideally after he shows he can play so we can get some okay value for him?

Not sure why GM JB would even consider taking a LHD with the #10 pick. Our coach plays his D on their natural side unless we are forced to double shift due to injuries. So with that said you have your top pair guy in Hughes, then our OJ, so why have 3 drafted D all taken in the top 10 and all be LHD? Leaves us with a nice left side but absolutely nothing on the right side aside from Woo, who is no lock to be a regular D but I do like his game.

I would avoid taking any D with the #10 pick. We need some quality higher end wingers to help out our top 2 C. I know wingers are never as valuable as D but I think we can go D heavy with our other draft picks but we need a highly skilled, smart F who can skate well with the #10 pick. 

With all that said if GM JB has something up his sleeve ala a big time trade I dont see the need for us to us a 3rd top 10 selection for a LHD. Could JB try to move OJ for an equivalent RHD prospect from another team? RHD is usually more sought after and harder to find.

Canucks draft another LHD Swede in Broberg to take over for Edler. We had Ohlund, then Edler potentially Broberg?

To be fair (not that I'm a proponent of taking Broberg with our 10th), Hughes can play right side. As does Tryamkin (should he come back).

If they truly think Broberg is the real deal, a future D something like:

Broberg, Hughes

Juolevi, Stecher

Rathbone, Woo/Tryamkin

... would hardly be horrible.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, yes!

Personally, I think his processing speed is slower than his, foot speed, as compared to some other NHL hockey players

Not all NHL hockey players...…...it totally depends who he is playing against...…..no different than chess, it is all a matter of degrees

Most people do not understand how fast this game is, sitting in front of a TV or even in the stands

I have a good understanding of how the game is played and I know when a player has a solid IQ and when he doesn't.  Jake makes a lot of small, smart plays that go unnoticed and he makes a lot of smart plays that go nowhere because he never gets to play with offensive type players.

Of course he makes the same mistakes most young players make, but most players don't have to deal with the microscope of hockey ignorance that he deals with in Van

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, yes!

Jake seems to be more of complementary player: he needs a linemate who is able to see the play develope and to feed him the puck.  He seems to be aware of this shortcoming and looks like to be compensating by overthinking the game; just an observation.  The player he sorta reminds me of is John Leclair; with the right linemate(s) (mainly with Lindros) he was a beast.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

2019 NHL Mock Draft by Jokke Nevalainen

by Jokke Nevalainen on May 24, 2019

2019-05-24-2019-NHL-Mock-Draft.png?resiz

Mock drafts are always fun, so I figured I’d do one. I decided to limit this to the first round for now, and obviously the order of the final two picks is yet to be decided but I assumed the Bruins will win the Stanley Cup for the purpose of this exercise. Without further ado, let’s get to it.

1. New Jersey Devils – Jack Hughes, LC

Best player in the draft by a slim margin. A franchise center with huge offensive upside.

1. New York Rangers – Kaapo Kakko, RW

Hughes and Kakko are 1A/1B, so this is an easy choice. NHL ready winger with franchise player potential.

1. Chicago Blackhawks – Alex Turcotte, LC

Number one center upside. Competes hard and plays a great all-around game. Eventual Toews replacement.

1. Colorado Avalanche (from the Senators) – Dylan Cozens, RC

The Avalanche need scoring depth beyond their top line, and they can build a great second line around Cozens. He has top-line upside but not in Colorado.

1. Los Angeles Kings – Bowen Byram, LD

Best defenseman in the draft by a wide margin. The Kings could use some help on their blue line. Great offensive tools but needs to improve some things in the defensive side of things.

1. Detroit Red Wings – Vasili Podkolzin, RW

Top-line winger who can be used in all situations. Competes hard and never gives up. Will be a great playoff warrior.

1. Buffalo Sabres – Trevor Zegras, LC

A very talented offensive forward who may end up being a winger. Would be a great fit alongside Eichel.

1. Edmonton Oilers – Cole Caufield, RW

He’s tiny and not a great skater but boy can he score goals. Could be a nice fit alongside McDavid.

1. Anaheim Ducks – Kirby Dach, RC

Big playmaking center with massive upside but some red flags as well. The Ducks are hoping they can find the eventual replacement for Getzlaf.

1. Vancouver Canucks – Matthew Boldy, LW

Top-six winger who can play in all situations. Would be a great fit alongside Pettersson.

If we got Boldy at 10 I'd be overjoyed. This makes it seem quite likely. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Isam said:

What? Boston has 10 players over 6'2" according to their roster including a 6'9" d man and a 6'5" d man.

Boston does not have one of the smallest line ups in the NHL. They have a couple shrimps like ratface and krug that brings the whole 'team size' down but they have lots of big guys.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If we draft yet another LHD more so with the #10 pick does that mean there is a decent chance we may look to move OJ?

No is the simple answer. We don't have enough D prospects. If JB decides to take one how, in any way, would that mean he would trade OJ?

Trying to connect things that aren't related imo.