The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't see Joe Bonamassa either.....Neal Schon....Lindsay Buckingham....Tony McAlpine....Yngwie....Billy Gibbons....Nile Rodgers....Waddy Wachtel....Liona Boyd...

,,,,and apparently Joni Mitchell is a better guitarist than David Gilmour....:wacko:

I don't recall seeing Nancy Wilson on the list either, nor Django Reinhart?

Maybe someone will start a thread/poll on this as summer goes on.?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've seen some pretty stupid elections in the past but the people of the Philippines electing Ferdinand Marcos' son has got to take the cake.

I am so glad I renounced my Filipino citizenship :mellow:

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've seen some pretty stupid elections in the past but the people of the Philippines electing Ferdinand Marcos' son has got to take the cake.

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I am so glad I renounced my Filipino citizenship :mellow:

John Oliver did a story on this last night. They've basically whitewashed the crimes of Ferdinand and Imelda.

Seems like only Filipinos who lived through those years know the truth.....and the younger generation doesn't seem interested in listening to them....:picard:

Last week tonight with John Oliver had a segment on this Sunday. 

I can't believe they elected him, with the family still owing billions from the billions that the Marcos stole.  

Being President, he may be able to make a lot of rhat go away, as well as continue to push the narrative that nothing bad happened when his parents ruled. 

Sad.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

John Oliver did a story on this last night. They've basically whitewashed the crimes of Ferdinand and Imelda.

Seems like only Filipinos who lived through those years know the truth.....and the younger generation doesn't seem interested in listening to them....:picard:

I work with some of those older filipinos. they are unanimous in sayihg that we have it exactly upside-down and that the elder Marcos was the best president they ever had. The conviction with which they said it made me think I'd better do some research. 

29 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Last week tonight with John Oliver had a segment on this Sunday. 

I can't believe they elected him, with the family still owing billions from the billions that the Marcos stole.  

Being President, he may be able to make a lot of rhat go away, as well as continue to push the narrative that nothing bad happened when his parents ruled. 

Sad.

These are the same voters that voted in Duterte. Nothing surprises me there. 

6 hours ago, frank einstein said:

I work with some of those older filipinos. they are unanimous in sayihg that we have it exactly upside-down and that the elder Marcos was the best president they ever had. The conviction with which they said it made me think I'd better do some research. 

My parents are pro-Marcoses and voted for Bongbong Marcos. 

While I still feel plenty of his supporters are from the younger generation, there are still those that remember Martial Law as a time of relative peace especially for those who were never impacted directly or indirectly at the atrocities of Martial Law in the past. I think it also helped that my Families business were most profitable during Martial Law. 

Good ol' religion strikes again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/3-year-old-girl-dead-after-family-allegedly-performed-an-exorcism-on-her/ar-AAXeLRJ?li=AAggNb9

The death of a three-year-old girl in San Jose last fall is receiving renewed interest after church leaders in the community said that they performed an exorcism on the child.

The body of Arely Naomi Proctor was found in the basement of a San Jose church last September and her death was ruled a homicide caused by asphyxiation by the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.

Her mother, Claudia Hernandez, has been charged with assault on a child resulting in death.

Officials at the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, where Proctor died, told the San Jose Mercury News that they performed a ceremony on the toddler to "liberate her of her evil spirits," and that her death was "the will of God," and not related to the exorcism.

Court documents obtained by KRON found that the family "believed the child was possessed by a demon and were at the church praying for her,” according to deputy district attorney Rebekah Wise.

Authorities say that Hernandez withheld food from her daughter and squeezed her neck.

"She strangled her multiple times to the point where the victim went unconscious, she stuck her hands down her throat, and continued this course of conduct for almost a full day," Wise wrote in the filings.

According to court records, Hernandez began to suspect her daughter was possessed because she would "wake up and scream or cry periodically."

She told police that she and her brother brought Proctor to the church at 6:30 a.m. on Sept. 24. The girl's mother, uncle, and grandfather allegedly held her down for several hours to perform the ceremony.

Proctor's grandfather Rene Huezo is a pastor of Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas, but he has not been charged in the death; neither has Proctor's uncle.

Proctor's family is accused of attempting to make her vomit, causing "multiple injuries around her eyes, face, neck, and chest," Wise wrote.

After about 12 hours, Proctor died around 6:30 p.m. Her family waited until 8:12 p.m. before they called 911.

No one attempted to give Proctor medical assistance before or after she died, according to court records.

Hernandez is currently in jail awaiting trial and no bail has been set for her release.

KRON reported that a YouTube video posted in January appears to show Hernandez speaking about her daughter's death. The title of the video is Proctor's full name: Arely Naomi Proctor Hernandez.

In it, the woman on camera says, "People can talk but at the end of the day, I know what happened, God knows what happened and the people that were there when she passed away know what happened."

The Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, which operates out of a house in San Jose, was also recently searched by police in connection with a kidnapped baby, Brandon Cuellar.

No evidence of the child was found in the church and police later recovered the baby from an apartment several hours later. Police arrested three suspects and at least one of the individuals detained attended the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church.

Church officials for Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas have not commented on the incident since speaking with the San Jose Mercury News and no lawyer for Hernandez has been identified.

One church preacher, who wasn't involved with the ceremony, told the paper that he disagreed with the term "exorcism" but said that demonic possession is real. "If you read the word of the Lord, you know that Jesus cast away demons," Oscar Ayala stated.

“We know we haven’t done anything dark, and we know that we have a clean conscience, that we haven’t done any harm, that we haven’t provoked the death of the girl," he added.

Proctor's grandfather said he is pained by the death of his granddaughter, but maintains that what happened to her was God's will.

“It’s not when I want to do it, it’s when God, in his will, wants to heal the person. The preacher is like an instrument of God; what we do is what God says.”

The San Jose Police Department said the investigation into Proctor's death is ongoing and did not comment further.

Okay, bible punchers.....think hard about the last few hours of this poor child's life and tell me again about "God's plan"....<_<

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Okay, bible punchers.....think hard about the last few hours of this poor child's life and tell me again about "God's plan"....

Why do people think an all powerful god, who supposedly made the ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE, needs the help of hairless apes?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why do people think an all powerful god, who supposedly made the ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE, needs the help of hairless apes?

What's really maddening about this, is that the child probably has Autism, or some other mental illness that caused her to "act out", or whatever it was that made them think she was possessed.

The aversion to science that seems to go hand in hand with religion is criminal. In this case, literally.....

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What's really maddening about this, is that the child probably has Autism, or some other mental illness that caused her to "act out", or whatever it was that made them think she was possessed.

The aversion to science that seems to go hand in hand with religion is criminal. In this case, literally.....

Aversion to science or even logical thinking.

If you believe in an all powerful, all knowing god- and you believe your baby is possessed then so what?

Isn't your possessed baby just part of gods plan?

And if god wants those demons removed, wouldn't he/she/it do it themselves? 

Also who the heck are these people to question god's will. He allowed that baby to be possessed, why try to change god's mind. Must remember god is all knowing all powerful, so will just do what god wants to do. why beg?

No need to ask or pray about it as god's will, will be done.

Some people should not be allowed to have kids- every single person that was at that "exorcism" should be prosecuted to the furthest extent allowed by law.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Aversion to science or even logical thinking.

If you believe in an all powerful, all knowing god- and you believe your baby is possessed then so what?

Isn't your possessed baby just part of gods plan?

And if god wants those demons removed, wouldn't he/she/it do it themselves? 

Also who the heck are these people to question god's will. He allowed that baby to be possessed, why try to change god's mind. Must remember god is all knowing all powerful, so will just do what god wants to do. why beg?

No need to ask or pray about it as god's will, will be done.

Some people should not be allowed to have kids- every single person that was at that "exorcism" should be prosecuted to the furthest extent allowed by law.

This is the part that has me confused. From what the article says, only the mother was charged, but what about everyone else that stood by and allowed this to happen? Shouldn't they be accessories?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is the part that has me confused. From what the article says, only the mother was charged, but what about everyone else that stood by and allowed this to happen? Shouldn't they be accessories?

Criminal negligence, failure to provide the necessities of life?, or something along those lines.

That church should lose it's tax free status as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Criminal negligence, failure to provide the necessities of life?, or something along those lines.

That church should lose it's tax free status as well.

If I can use the term unironically...."Amen"....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What does this guy know about beauty?

He really seems like quite the loser. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/jordan-peterson-twitter-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-yumi-nu-rcna29382

You might not agree with his opinion but does that make him a loser? It's Sports Illustrated for petes sake. Known as selling your image for $'s.

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You might not agree with his opinion but does that make him a loser? It's Sports Illustrated for petes sake. Known as selling your image for $'s.

And it's also my opinion that he is a loser. Especially in this case.

I also think some curvy females are hot AF. 

I was so happy when Sir Mix-a-lot came out with his iconic song in '92. Which made tons of money as it highlighted a very popular idea of beauty that mainstream at the time was almost condemning. 

Girls having big butts in the 80's was frowned on, now guess what body part most females at my gym work on? 

Edit: to add, he uses the silliest words to make his statement..."Sorry. Not beautiful. And no amount of authoritarian tolerance is going to change that.".

'authoritarian tolerance' ? wtf, is this guy just another fear/hate slinger?

But maybe I just assumed something too, maybe it's not that the model is curvy that he has a problem with? I dunno? maybe she doesn't look like she uses 'simple Anglo-Saxon words' ? ;)

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1