The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pronman's top 100 prospects for 2018-19

UticaHockey

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I haven't seen the list, but I'd assume that the following names would be in the top 10 in some order:

Dahlen

Heiskanen

Hughes

Svech

Tkatchuk

Kotkaniemi

Pettersson

Mittlestead

Zadina

All of these guys, other than (in my eyes) maybe Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk have star potential.  

My top 10 would be

Dahlen

Svech

Pettersson

Heiskanen

Mittlestead

Hughes

Makar

Zadina

Tolvanen

Boqvist

His top ten are

(Special)

Dahlin 

(Elite)

Svech 

Mittlestead

Thomas

Borgstrom 

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi 

Pettersson 

(High end)

Necas

5 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

Pronman has never been as high on Pettersson as everyone else, so him at 9 is not surprising. 

These lists get more and more redundant and hold zero value. 

I like the read scouting reports and the rankings of the major scouting organizations heading into the draft to get a better idea for the strengths and weaknesses of eligible players. 

37 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

His top ten are

(Special)

Dahlin 

(Elite)

Svech 

Mittlestead

Thomas

Borgstrom 

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi 

Pettersson 

(High end)

Necas

The only player on that list I'd take over EP is Dahlin....If Svech was a centre he'd be in the conversation as well.  

40 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

His top ten are

(Special)

Dahlin 

(Elite)

Svech 

Mittlestead

Thomas

Borgstrom 

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi 

Pettersson 

(High end)

Necas

Middlestadt!  :lol::lol::lol:

This guy is just another reason why the Sabres will struggle.  He and Eichel don’t play defensively.  A center better put up McDavid numbers if they are not going to play defensively.  

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

His top ten are

(Special)

Dahlin 

(Elite)

Svech 

Mittlestead

Thomas

Borgstrom 

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi 

Pettersson 

(High end)

Necas

Wow,  Thomas and Borgstrom?  No heiskanen?  I get that these lists have to have the wow factor,  or nobody talks about them,  but that is pretty bad.

2 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

His top ten are

(Special)

Dahlin 

(Elite)

Svech 

Mittlestead

Thomas

Borgstrom 

Zadina

Hughes

Kotkaniemi 

Pettersson 

(High end)

Necas

Obviously it makes more sense to put Petterson higher up, but if you look at the groupings as a whole, it isn't that far off. Petterson is in the right category (the 'elite') and is not in the same 'special' category as Dahlin, the issue is just that he is too low within the category. It's not a crazy top 10, just a bit jumbled, that's all.

I may disagree with Pronman but he puts way more effort into his write-ups than any of these lists floating around on the internet. As someone who scouts professionally, he also watches these players a lot including traveling to games. 

With that said it's clear he has a bias towards certain types of players which are shifty with great hands and above average to great IQ. It's not surprising that he has Hughes as high as he does as he is the protypical Pronman player. On the other hand he does seem to recognize that Pettersson has a cannon when he rated his shot a 70/80.

Loads of people are ripping him to shreds on different platforms for his ranking of Pettersson, Heiskanen and Thomas. Personally I always take these lists with a grain of salt. It's one man's opinion although as I admitted I do enjoy reading his write-ups.

I never understood the accusations that he has ulterior motives. It's not like his lists are simply click-bait as they are always behind a paywall. The man has his biases that do result in some rather bizarre rankings but I admire the effort as well as his penchant for responding to fans who ask for explanations. Although I can't see him doing too much of that with the vitriol people are directing towards him. 

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

I gotta question anyone who doesn't have Pettersson in their top 3. The guy just beat a couple generations old record in the SHL, surpassing some of Sweden's most elite hockey royalty on the way to winning just about everything he could last year.

Pronman didn't have Pettersson in the top 15 or Boeser in the 1st round of his final draft rankings for those years. I always take his work with a 'grain' of salt.

I'm also surprised anyone would have Lind over Juolevi. I don't think I've seen any Canucks fan rate Lind ahead of OJ. Seems like shiny toy syndrome to me. Juolevi had a good year against pro's while Lind had a great year in junior then struggled in a pro audition at the end of the year. 

Edit: Just saw the article; Kotkaniemi & Thomas over Pettersson is absolutely insane. And I was a huge fan of Kotkaniemi going into the draft. 

Pronman's really losing me. I don't understand what he values or how he evaluates.

2 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Turns out we only like the lists that reaffirm our current beliefs. 

nah

i don't care about these lists at all

idle speculation

by wanna be prognosticators

and for some reason it riles up many readers

i know what our prospects did last season

and simply will wait to see how they transition to the nhl this year

all the rest is basically nonsense

but many want to list and compare and debate the nuances of players

in relation to each other

completely out of context

so much depends on who the young prospect actually plays with on his line

that's the most important factor

for a newbie's success this upcoming season

2 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Turns out we only like the lists that reaffirm our current beliefs. 

or his work his very questionable. Again; he didn't have Brock Boeser in the 1st Round in 2015. He didn't have Elias Pettersson in the top 15 in 2017.

Outside of Canucks prospects:

- Didn't have Provorov top 10 in '15

- Didn't have Sergachev top 15 in '16

- Only person I saw to have Laine ahead of Matthews in '16

- Had Drouin #1 in '13

He's had cases where he's had a guy higher against popular later round opinion and its turned out very well. But these examples of the non-Canuck guys are wild.

7 hours ago, RonMexico said:

That's because many loser fans, local ones too, and media called the Sedins soft and poor leaders because instead of punching back, they just scored goals instead.

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

For some reason, if they're Swedish and play for the Canucks, they get less respect.

Oh, I don't think it's about that.  In the previous year he had Boeser ranked 18th - before he became runner up for rookie of the year.  Do you think he doesn't like Americans either?

Pronman evaluated each prospect in four areas which were skating, puck skills, physical game and hockey sense. For Pettersson he actually added a fifth category which was shot grade. The range for each category was 20 to 80 with 50 being the mean.

Pettersson received the following.

Skating 45

Puck skill 65

Physical game 45

Hockey sense 65

Shot grade 70

I don't believe any single player scored higher than a 70 in any category. The two 45s is what kept Pettersson at the lower end of the elite players and the addition of the 5th category for Pettersson allowed him into the elite grouping.  It's easy to argue the rankings but Pronman did use a statistical method for his rankings.

Archived