The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Reid Boucher, reassign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I really don't get why Green deployed Gaunce the way he did. What did he see that he absolutely didn't like?

He also didn't put Archibald for more than 2 mins THE WHOLE GAME in the MTL game I believe.

Slow.  Sloppy with the puck.  Sure, put up points, but that is not all the coaches are watching.

I’m not upset with the Gaunce demotion. Would’ve liked to see him played more, but if he’s just gonna sit, I’d rather he played in Utica and got some icetime.

Archie should get demoted as well, for the same reasons. Plus the waiver exemption timeline.

If we need a body, just rotate some of the Utica kids through for a few games here and there. Let them sit it the press box for some short term stints and collect a few extra NHL dollars before Christmas.

Maybe call-up Jašek next? know I’ll probably get accused of playing favourites here, but it’s more that the kid can play 3 forward positions, PP/5v5/PK, pretty much every role/style, from shutdown to fire wagon, works hard, and he can fit in with a variety of linemates. He also has lots of experience from the Czech leagues getting shuffled around teams and lineups, so he’s familiar with the “spare” role and likely would just make the most of his time hanging around the NHL guys and sponging up whatever he could in practice.

26 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was half serious.  I've never been on the Gaunce train, but after all the complaints of him having no offense, he shows some and then rides the pine.

I'm thrilled for Gaunce that he nabbed a few points and still think he's a half decent, depth 4th line W/13th F at the NHL level but that doesn't mean some lucky bounces evening out for him equates to a whole new player. 

He's being played (or not) based on his ability relative to the other player options, not a couple games he had some lucky regression to the mean.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m not upset with the Gaunce demotion. Would’ve liked to see him played more, but if he’s just gonna sit, I’d rather he played in Utica and got some icetime.

Archie should get demoted as well, for the same reasons. Plus the waiver exemption timeline.

If we need a body, just rotate some of the Utica kids through for a few games here and there. Let them sit it the press box for some short term stints and collect a few extra NHL dollars before Christmas.

Maybe call-up Jašek next? know I’ll probably get accused of playing favourites here, but it’s more that the kid can play 3 forward positions, PP/5v5/PK, pretty much every role/style, from shutdown to fire wagon, works hard, and he can fit in with a variety of linemates. He also has lots of experience from the Czech leagues getting shuffled around teams and lineups, so he’s familiar with the “spare” role and likely would just make the most of his time hanging around the NHL guys and sponging up whatever he could in practice.

MacEwen probably deserves a look as well.

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Archibald is closer than Gaunce to being again waiver eligible.  It's the earliest between 10 NHL games and 30 days on the roster - recall periods are cumulative.  Both were recalled end of October but Archibald had already been up earlier in October for just under a week.  Archibald has also played in 9 NHL games so one more and he will have to go through waivers. 

*Archibald is also more likely to clear waivers should he go over that window.

Just now, xereau said:

MacEwen probably deserves a look as well.

Agreed. But I’d like to see Big Mac get his call-up when there’s actually a lineup spot available for him. Otherwise just leave him in Utica, where he’s one of their leading scorers. Maybe after Boucher finishes his stint, assuming there are still injuries (safe bet with this team) and we actually need a guy to play.

14 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Don't think she'll ever return because:

1) she was scared of the fan base here 

2) Hannah is doing a much better job... that sweet smile and passion!!

Seriously? The first point?

If she's afraid of the fan base here, she went to school for her program for the WRONG reasons because the Canucks would have been an amazing career opportunity for anyone.

Makes sense. People can stat watch all they want but Gaunce just hasn't translated to the NHL and why lose an asset to waivers when you don't need to.

Canucks are struggling offensively right now so having Boucher and his wicked shot wont hurt us.  Hoping he lines up on the first unit power play and swings between the Boeser shooting spot and hashmarks. Petty, Hutton, Goldy, Horvat, Boucher pp1

Goldy-Petty-Virtanen

Boucher-Horvat-Gagner

Motte-Gaudette-Eriksson

Roussel-Granlund-Schaller

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm thrilled for Gaunce that he nabbed a few points and still think he's a half decent, depth 4th line W/13th F at the NHL level but that doesn't mean some lucky bounces evening out for him equates to a whole new player. 

He's being played (or not) based on his ability relative to the other player options, not a couple games he had some lucky regression to the mean.

I've always hoped Gauce would grow into an NHL player, since we spent a first round pick on him, and I thought this time he showed some promise in his limited opportunities especially with face offs. I thought Travis would give him a good look and maybe get a chance to send Gaudette down to work in his game or move Granny back to the wing where he's more effective but I guess that wasn't in the cards. 

This move worries me a little in that Brock looks further away than I was hoping. They'll probably give Boucher a shot on PP1 on Brock's side and move Gagner to where Baer was playing. 

Archived