The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Reid Boucher, reassign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

Seems like a natural spot for Boucher would be to play with Pettersson and Goldy.  Goldobin and Boucher have always had chemistry since junior.  Pettersson makes everyone better and could certainly benefit with a shooter on his other wing.  

Something tells me that Boucher has been brought up to sit in the press box like Gaunce and that none of this matters.  I hope I’m proven wrong though and that he gets a chance to play with skilled line mates and good ice time.

This team hasn’t been built from the backend out, so I’d like to see the team try to out score their deficiencies.  That Colorado game was a lot of fun to watch!

7 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Seems like a natural spot for Boucher would be to play with Pettersson and Goldy.  Goldobin and Boucher have always had chemistry since junior.  Pettersson makes everyone better and could certainly benefit with a shooter on his other wing.  

Something tells me that Boucher has been brought up to sit in the press box like Gaunce and that none of this matters.  I hope I’m proven wrong though and that he gets a chance to play with skilled line mates and good ice time.

This team hasn’t been built from the backend out, so I’d like to see the team try to out score their deficiencies.  That Colorado game was a lot of fun to watch!

they'd be stupid to take Jake off that line

1 hour ago, stawns said:

they'd be stupid to take Jake off that line

I like Jake with Pettersson and Goldy, but Jake kind of creates his own chances.  As long as he is getting ice-time on one of the two top lines, it is good to see.  Boucher and Goldy have real chemistry together and I think, if given some time together, could translate that chemistry to the NHL.  

9 hours ago, xereau said:

Slow.  Sloppy with the puck.  Sure, put up points, but that is not all the coaches are watching.

Eh?! Virtanen can’t receive a  pass cleanly to save his life yet people here thinks he is actually good for some reason. Even worse than Pyatt and Bernier was at it actually, and they were bad. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pointing out Gaunce's offensive levels as indicative of his level of play is like looking at Boeser's blocked shot totals to determine how good he is. What's more, Gaunce's offense has been trending upwards recently so a simple summary of his career points-per-game doesn't tell the story of the trend.

So Gaunce is a shot blocker?  Sorry, I know thats not what you mean. But really, he was a first round pick.  That implies a top  six player if he lives up to his potential.

I can only give him the eye test from a fans point of view. I guess others see more than I do. I see a player that wants to succeed. But he just does not possess the tools, or the quickness to read the play.  Pouliot was also a first rounder who might just not have what it takes to jump to the major leagues as a top 4 D. I don't know what the stats are but obviously many players even taken in the first round do not all have long or even any, NHL career.  Gaunce to me looks uninspired, and behind the play most nights, as a top six, at least.

I will have to see a longer trend than 3 good games from him. Games that I notice him on the ice. I hope he can crack the line up. Some players take longer. I just don't see much yet to give me much hope of that, and if he never was called back up I wouldn't be upset.

2 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Skating seems to be an issue with Boucher; not sure I want a player like that with EP & Goldy.   Might be good to use him on the power play unit to take advantage of his good shot though.  

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So Gaunce is a shot blocker?  Sorry, I know thats not what you mean. But really, he was a first round pick.  That implies a top  six player if he lives up to his potential.

I can only give him the eye test from a fans point of view. I guess others see more than I do. I see a player that wants to succeed. But he just does not possess the tools, or the quickness to read the play.  Pouliot was also a first rounder who might just not have what it takes to jump to the major leagues as a top 4 D. I don't know what the stats are but obviously many players even taken in the first round do not all have long or even any, NHL career.  Gaunce to me looks uninspired, and behind the play most nights, as a top six, at least.

I will have to see a longer trend than 3 good games from him. Games that I notice him on the ice. I hope he can crack the line up. Some players take longer. I just don't see much yet to give me much hope of that, and if he never was called back up I wouldn't be upset.

With regards to the first round pick notion, I have two thoughts.

1. You've noted that many first round players don't have long careers. I've taken the liberty of compiling some stats about 26th overall picks (like Gaunce). Of all 21 currently-retired forwards ever picked 26th overall, the average career length is 296 games. I will concede that even still, Gaunce is below your average 26th overall pick, but not as far below as it may seem.

2. I feel as though it's pointless to live in the past about what he should be based on his pick. I find it more valuable to assess where he's at right now and how he's trending. It's the same problem that some people have with Eriksson where they can't see past his $6M cap hit even though it's in the past and should have no effect on the assessment of how good a player is playing.

With regards to the trend, I'd agree that a 3-game sample is ridiculous to base progression off of, but I'm basing it off of last year and this year. During his first two years (2015-2017), Gaunce had 6 points in 77 games for a points-per-game of 0.08. From the start of last year on (2017-current), Gaunce has had 9 points (5 goals and 4 assists) in 40 games for a points-per-game of 0.225. He's nearly tripled his offensive output in the last two years compared to his first two. Admittedly, he set a very low offensive standard in his first two years, but I feel it's unfair to ignore that kind of progress.

I don't expect Gaunce to be anything more than a bottom six forward at this point and I'd be okay with that. It's not what you hope from a 1st round pick, but that draft is in the past and all I'm looking for now is how he's currently playing and how he's progressing.

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Makes sense.  Point a game isn't exactly what we're looking for.

Boucher is doing great in the AHL, but if 3 points in 3 games won't keep Gaunce his spot, I don't know what will.

So are you implying that Gaunce is ppg player? 

Because if not, and we all know Gaunce is not a ppg player,  your comment looks really retarded. 

11 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I like Jake with Pettersson and Goldy, but Jake kind of creates his own chances.  As long as he is getting ice-time on one of the two top lines, it is good to see.  Boucher and Goldy have real chemistry together and I think, if given some time together, could translate that chemistry to the NHL.  

that line would be a lite version of the Eriksson EP Goldy line.........too easy to neutralize.  Jake's speed creates room for EP and Goldy and his physical play gives them an edge.  

Archived