The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Reid Boucher, reassign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

What I have seen from Gaunce, other then his lack of any kind of offense, is his lack of aggressive battle for a big man. Similar to Archibald. Those two players, if could play with more intensity and aggression, would be far more effective NHL players. This seems to be what TG is looking for this year and he is giving more ice time to those players who are exhibiting it and sitting those that don't.

Virtanen is one player, that I believe , is a prime example of this and he has greatly improved his NHL game because of it.

From day one Jake talked the talk about doing whatever it took for him to make it. When he was 19 you wondered if he was simply repeating what he thought people wanted to hear. 3 years later we are now realizing he was speaking from the heart. 

Gaunce has never got the amount of exposure that Jake has got. As fans we often forget that these players have been in hockey for +20 years already. They have a mind set towards their game that has gotten them this far. Highly likely that Green is questioning Gaunce's approach and asking that he make changes. For some that might be more than they are capable of adjusting to mentally.  

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

From day one Jake talked the talk about doing whatever it took for him to make it. When he was 19 you wondered if he was simply repeating what he thought people wanted to hear. 3 years later we are now realizing he was speaking from the heart. 

Gaunce has never got the amount of exposure that Jake has got. As fans we often forget that these players have been in hockey for +20 years already. They have a mind set towards their game that has gotten them this far. Highly likely that Green is questioning Gaunce's approach and asking that he make changes. For some that might be more than they are capable of adjusting to mentally.  

I remember when my kids played hockey and you could see at a very early age those who wanted to win at any cost and those who couldn't care either way if the game was won or lost.  This was even more evident in tournaments. 

The biggest difference in the NHL is that you have highly talented players who treat their career as a job, and those who are highly skilled who want to win at all costs. 

I believe TG and the rest of management are trying to weed out these players and somewhere down the road we are going to have a highly skilled team who will want to win at all costs.

Hopefully, this trends us more to winning in the playoffs and not just successful in the regular season as it has been for decades with this team.

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I remember when my kids played hockey and you could see at a very early age those who wanted to win at any cost and those who couldn't care either way if the game was won or lost.  This was even more evident in tournaments. 

The biggest difference in the NHL is that you have highly talented players who treat their career as a job, and those who are highly skilled who want to win at all costs. 

I believe TG and the rest of management are trying to weed out these players and somewhere down the road we are going to have a highly skilled team who will want to win at all costs.

Hopefully, this trends us more to winning in the playoffs and not just successful in the regular season as it has been for decades with this team.

Good points. 

If you are old enough you might remember Cowboy Bill Plett. Drafted by Atlanta if memory serves. I always remembered a interview he gave where he said his patented move kept him in the NHL thru his career. Something to do with how he got his slap shot off. He said he practiced his 'move' all the time but didn't change his game during his career. 

Totally agree that Green and Benning will be weeding out those that do not have the desire. In fact Green said as much in a postgame interview a few games ago. Something to the effect that we are building a contender not just a good team.  

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

What has Schaller shown that Gaunce doesn't already do better? 

Plays in straight lines, gets to pucks, and is harder to play against.  Gaunce just needs to be quicker, and and meaner.  (maybe?) that’s just not in his DNA.  

It was only a first game - and Green clearly was easing Boucher into the lineup (at under 6 minutes) - but in those minutes (5:28)  unfortunately Boucher looked like he struggled with the pace of the game (part of that may be mental, and adjustment to systems, new linemates, etc.  - but his skating is a difficult limiting factor - which is unfortunate because he obviously has goal-scoring tools.

Just now, Alflives said:

Plays in straight lines, gets to pucks, and is harder to play against.  Gaunce just needs to be quicker, and and meaner.  (maybe?) that’s just not in his DNA.  

I don't know if we've been watching the same guy. Playing hard against is what was advertised but he's been anything but. Covering his man on the point has been extremely difficult for him given his foot speed and reads. I don't know if it's because of his offseason surgery but he's a liability currently. 3 points in 23? games and too slow on the penalty kill. 

18 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Well I agree with some of things you say I'll watch closely but I'll have to say after the 1st period Boucher had a pretty bad giveaway and didn't stand out in a good way mind you nobody really did hopefully better things to come for everyone.

I did notice Boucher did look noticeably faster though.

If he can make use of the speed he definitely does have some real good offensive skills and we couldn't need that more right now.

Boucher didn't stand out last night but it's been 1 game. Let's see what he can do now that he has his feet wet. I have faith!

6 hours ago, Duodenum said:

I don't know if we've been watching the same guy. Playing hard against is what was advertised but he's been anything but. Covering his man on the point has been extremely difficult for him given his foot speed and reads. I don't know if it's because of his offseason surgery but he's a liability currently. 3 points in 23? games and too slow on the penalty kill. 

Yeah. Doesn't Gaunce have the same amount of points in like 3 games compared to 23?

Anyway, I'm biased towards Gaunce. 

I think he hasn't been given a fair shake this year. 

Not expecting Boucher to be in Vancouver too long. Boeser and Beagle are not too far from returning. Boucher plus one have to leave town. Assuming no trades, I'm guessing it's between Leipsic and Biega.

Biega could have gone down without being waived, but is now past his 30 day deadline. I'm a little puzzled. Thought they would return Biega before his 30 days ran out and reward Sautner or McEneny with a brief NHL paycheque.

12 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Hmmm he definitely played 4 and change in his last game so not sure why you went to personal attacks when you are incorrect. Good on ya for trying to throw insults at people for no reason though. 

I simply replied in kind....

On 11/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

That's because he only played 4 minutes. Use your head.

17 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

And he played 4 minutes

He's averaged over 8 per game this season and his last game would have brought that average down. Perhaps the reason he only got 4 and change his last game, and was sent back to Utica, is what I said previously. Simply not doing enough to be noticeable out there.

Archived