The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

With something like an ungraded sprain, the only way to get the info if he's 100% is from him. He'll pass all the tests and scans won't show anything. 

With a 5 day break upcoming and then the all star break where he'll participate in slow paced shinny, you also don't want to risk him going 2 to 2.5 weeks without game action (if he's healthy the whole time) and then come back and play teams who are in the thick of a playoff chase and playing their best hockey. 

Hope he stays sidelined, and doesn't go to the all star break, unless his knee 100%.

Give the knee the rest it needs, and then some... 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

An NHL GM trades a 1st round asset plus for Guddy. Re signs him not once, but twice...

More than two NHL coach has given Guddy 2knd pair minutes. A NHL coach, who has been to a cup final, has given Guddy top pair minutes. In the first round of play off’s.

But your Bronx Cheer is louder and more important?

OK!

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not alone. I just don’t share it.

Such a simple minded way of thinking about things. 

Yeah! They did it so we can do it and it's justified!

Yeah! Linden Vey was used in the NHL! By an NHL coach! That means he's an NHL caliber player!

Tanner Glass was also great! Used by cup final coach AV!

Scrubs are what they are. Just because coaches have pets doesn't mean that the player is effective in the role. 

Of course Benning would re-sign Gudbranson. He was trying to save his job. If he doesn't re-sign a player he gave up significant assets for and excessively hyped up, it would be poor on him.

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hope he stays sidelined, and doesn't go to the all star break, unless his knee 100%.

Give the knee the rest it needs, and then some... 

I agree, the timing of this injury is actually a silver lining, he could rest for 4 full weeks and only miss 7 games

On 1/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, sonoman said:

Actually most are diagnosed with history and physical exam by orthopaedic surgeon.  MRI will confirm suspicions and determine severity or significant swelling can limit the physical exam.  

What are you even saying?

I swear I don't know why I even bother on here sometimes.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:51 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

McMurray test says hi.

I've seen quite a few torn menisci and not one of them could get into and out of a chair with ease (known as Ege's test). Sure, they weren't elite 19 year old athletes in a lower body driven sport, but EP40 must have a crazy high pain tolerance if he has the swelling and stiffness of a torn meniscus but his gait is unaltered and he's performing unassisted sit to stands (clearing the Ege's test). But also to consider, video on the Internet could be edited a lot. 

The McMurray test is commonly used and is a very reliable, valid test that let's us know if it's a torn meniscus. You do, however, need a therapist who knows what they're doing to have a McMurray test be accurate (I'm hoping nhl level therapists are high quality, but given the Canucks history..) 

Like I said before, I tore my meniscus without even knowing it, continued snowboarding for the rest of the day and it went undiagnosed for six months.

This kind of stuff varies so drastically between different people and different situations. Stop trying to blanket everything.

17 hours ago, BananaMash said:

This is true, but it's also not very debilitating if it doesn't tear all the way through. I've got partial tears on the meniscus in my right knee, and it's doesn't really impact me at all. The biggest issue associated with it (for me) is that I'm more likely to have it rip all the way eventually. 

Hoping for the best though. Knees are fickle joints that suck to injure.

Ayyy someone on here who's not talking out of their ass. Congrats you're a rare breed.

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

forget about the tank, especially since Hughes will come save the defense this year. Hughes is the D man that US relied on heavily to transition from D to Offense. Him with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi on PP is enough to destroy a tank. Dont forget Demko who is an upgrade and the possibility of McEwan coming up after TDL.

You're an optimistic fella 

I don't think that Hughes is ready for the NHL this year but I'm not opposed to giving him a taste and keeping our fingers crossed that he doesn't take a hit from a real NHL power forward and get concussed. 

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

forget about the tank, especially since Hughes will come save the defense this year. Hughes is the D man that US relied on heavily to transition from D to Offense. Him with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi on PP is enough to destroy a tank. Dont forget Demko who is an upgrade and the possibility of McEwan coming up after TDL.

Hughes is going to save the defense in the couple games he plays this year? Not to mention Demko is not a short-term upgrade over Markstrom so not sure how either ruin any tank.  Pettersson returning will be the reason the Canucks don't tank.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, King Heffy said:

Tanev, Edler, Guddy, and Hutton are all better than the trash Toronto tries to pass off as NHL defensemen.

Ummm well we couldn't even score a single goal and we let 5 get in so ermmm..  keeping eddie chris and erik is great and with the addition of hughes next season and trading for 2 more D and hopefully Tryamkin back.. well then we have something, maybe trade for one if hutton continues his development but for now.. our D is.. awful.. and only when we play solid team D is where we win games but that only happens sometimes hence we're a .500 team, does it suck? Yep for now... 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, Toyotasfan said:

29 other teams would take him off our hands in a heartbeat. He is big and tough, no one screens the goalie when he’s on the ice.  I like him on our team. 

This post did not age well.

So sad that your username is toyotasfan because toyota has built amazing vehicles for a long time.

Rewatch the highlights and see how awful Gudbranson was tonight.

In fact, you could do this for nearly any game this whole season. He had a stretch of about 5 games earlier where he looked competent. 

Now he's back to being his old useless self.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Thx for posting. 

Looks like 3 to 6 Weekes.  

How long will it take to recover?

• A mild MCL injury or grade one sprain should take 3 to 6 weeks to make a full recovery.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You're an optimistic fella 

I don't think that Hughes is ready for the NHL this year but I'm not opposed to giving him a taste and keeping our fingers crossed that he doesn't take a hit from a real NHL power forward and get concussed. 

I'd say Hughes is definitely ready, especially by the end of the NCAA season, but "save our defense" is a stretch. Lol. 

As for the bold part, people say this about every kid/skilled player to ever play the game. Yet our most injury riddled players are slower bigger guys. Guddy, Edler to an extent, Tanev, Boeser also to an extent are all bigger guys that are injured more often than smaller guys on the team. Stecher only got concussed cause of a PoS AHL level scrub. I am not worried about the skilled quicker players on this team getting injured, I am more worried about Tanev, Edler, Guddy, Sutter etc all staying healthy regularly.

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Personally I think they should bring up Zack MacEwan and be done with it.... put him on the wing with orders to beat the hell out of anyone who interferes.

That will be 6' 4"  211 lbs of motivated minor leaguer who wants to stay in the big leagues and knows which side his bread is buttered on.

He's got 14 goals and 15 assists in 37 games, so he's no slouch offensively, and the fact is, anyone who plays with Pettersson will put up points.

That... is a f'n good idea!

2 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

This post did not age well.

So sad that your username is toyotasfan because toyota has built amazing vehicles for a long time.

Rewatch the highlights and see how awful Gudbranson was tonight.

In fact, you could do this for nearly any game this whole season. He had a stretch of about 5 games earlier where he looked competent. 

Now he's back to being his old useless self.

Chill dude, everyone goes through a bad game or so... unless your name is crosby, ovechkin etc..

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I wouldn't count on Demko being an upgrade on markstrom right now

Archived