The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

8 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Does this trade set a value that might be comparable to Alex Edler? I know Edler would be a rental, not sure what Muzzin's situation is. 

Edler is a rental. Teams seem to be going away from rentals nowadays.

But, it is also one less upper echelon LHD off the market. So supply has gone down.

That was a fair price to pay for Muzzin. Having a safe player to play next to Gardiner would be smart now.

While Tanev's value has definitely dropped, I still think theyd be good to acquire him for the second pairing.

I legitimately believe the real reason they haven't traded Edler and Tanev in recent years is because of the failures in pro scouting. They haven't found a single capable defenseman for even the bottom pairing from their pro scouting in their five seasons. They really would need to hit on their futures to justify trading them. 

• Upvote 3

I have caught several Kings games this year.  Every time, I noticed Muffin in a bad light, not a good one.  Remarking how slow he looked.  How forwards were blowing past him regularly.  He was a really solid D man a few years ago.  But, he has lost a step from a few years ago.  His decline has been steep, and I know exactly why the Kings have parted ways.  The Leafs' defensive woes have not been fixed with this trade, not even close!

• Cheers 1

Likely spells the end of Gardiner's time in Toronto, after this season. They better hope for a really deep run this post season. Cause they'll be in the exact same position next year when Gardiner leaves. But next year they'll have no cap to acquire another top 4 D. This may be as good as Toronto will ever look before those expensive contracts kick in.

• Upvote 2

Justin Holl, aka Frank Corrado 2.0, might actually get to play some hockey this season !! TML have now screwed two borderline NHL players Shanahan and Babcock can be beyond pathetic ! Holl has played two games this year. It's not as if the 6 d-men, who got to play, were so talented that there was not an occasional game for him !

This is a good wake up call for those pining for a Tanev or Edler trade. Desperate move by Rob Blake. But a bad return but just lost his third best player at the most important position to get younger and faster long term. The return is average at best. Tanev might be comparable as he has another year of term but eagle being a UFA gets us a deep second at best. Not worth it at all in my opinion. 

Great trade for the leafs. More jealous than I was yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ah, a lovely Good Morning to my favourite fan.   I'm a professional scout now?   Uh, OK.    I do what I do in hockey and I get paid for it but a scout?   Cool - will add that to my profile.   :lol:

A late first rounder could be a Pasta, a BB and so forth.   Your crystal ball is equally poor a guessing people's hockey professions.   

If you would not trade two months of Edler's service, if he waived, for a draft pick that could be in a similar slot to a Boeser, Beauvillier, Konecny.Pastrnak, Hartman etc. etc. plus two prospects then irrespective of how poorly you understand what people do, your armchair GM abilities would be considered pretty challenged in most people's minds.

Edler's agent warned that if they asked him to waive there is absolutely no guarantee that they will be able to re-sign him.  He explained that waiving doesn't take into consideration that the player took a pay-cut to get a no-trade clause.

7 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Yes exactly but they knew it and Dumbass has been playing the game of we’re fine we’re fine to try and keep some leverage for trades after the season / at the draft. 

All the eastern media had said it; that he has to go for it this year because next year they are going to be in cap hell, and that was before Muzzin who’s due 4 mil for one more year. 

Goes to a point that Burke made a few weeks back. The second contract for young players used to be a bridge, and so you had a longer window as young stars stayed affordable for longer giving you a bigger window. Now the second contract is for young players (if they are stars) is the equivalent of UFA money and term, so your window (if you have a few) is very short. For all the tankers be thankful. Our team is being built as a team that can work under a cap world and be challenging for a long time. I’d hate to be a leaf fan for many reasons but mostly, their window is going to last 1-2 years 

Geez if I was a leafs fan reading this I’d post it on a team board somewhere. It pisses me off how good that team looks. 

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I thought they would get a RHD from Carolina. Not a left handed D. And a primary puck carrier, distributor.

But Muzzin is a v good all round D. They could have done worse...

Who comes out of the line up, I guess Oshiginov?  And for the moment Gardiner is injured.

Carolina is looking for top-6 scoring help for one of their Ds and Kapanen is a no-go.  

Mirtle in the Athletic (paywall) writes:  "(Suddenly) Babcock has four quick puck movers to rotate in instead of three.

This Leafs blueline certainly now more resembles Dubas hockey: skate quick, carry the puck, move it up the ice fast and maintain possession. They finally boast a top pair where both D can play big minutes, against good players, and do all four."

It sounds like the plan is to go

Rielly Muzzin

Gardiner Zaitsev

Dermott Hainsey

Edited by mll

10 hours ago, xereau said:

Browsed a few other boards, and sources.

Apparently (and this is not far from the hyperbole I just had to endure) they just got Lidstrom and Brad Park all rolled up into one super human that isn't slow, or 30, or a veteran of some of the heaviest, longest playoff series in history over the last decade.

fandom.jpg

aside from the false narrative here, leafs fans are more shocked that they're actually getting a defenseman, and a guy who makes their team less pathetic on the back end. i sure as hell wont miss muzzin if that makes the kings that much worse

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

4 hours ago, xereau said:

I have caught several Kings games this year.  Every time, I noticed Muffin in a bad light, not a good one.  Remarking how slow he looked.  How forwards were blowing past him regularly.  He was a really solid D man a few years ago.  But, he has lost a step from a few years ago.  His decline has been steep, and I know exactly why the Kings have parted ways.  The Leafs' defensive woes have not been fixed with this trade, not even close!

He's +10 on a bottom feeder team.  Not sure how his decline can be so steep, when he's been a 40 pts player the past 5 years (on pace for 35 this year), except for that awful 2016-17 year.  Otherwise seems like he's been pretty steady for a team that haven't had much success recently.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

He's +10 on a bottom feeder team.  Not sure how his decline can be so steep, when he's been a 40 pts player the past 5 years (on pace for 35 this year), except for that awful 2016-17 year.  Otherwise seems like he's been pretty steady for a team that haven't had much success recently.

i hate the leafs as much as the next person but its easy to create different narratives because, it's just easy, and its the leafs, and when you mix in the kings, who canucks fans seem to really hate, kill two birds with one stone. muzzin's their most consistently okay guy on that team who's name isnt drew doughty

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

This Leafs blueline certainly now more resembles Dubas hockey: skate quick, carry the puck, move it up the ice fast and maintain possession. They finally boast a top pair where both D can play big minutes, against good players

Not sure what is Dubas hockey yet? Did not see enough of his junior teams.

I do believe Muzzin is a legit top pair D. The 2knd fiddle, but its still worth something! Not sure he is a top pair D on his off side is all?

Philadelphia did this for years. Could not get a good RHD? So paid a bomb for lefty after lefty. Andy MacDonald anyone? I'll hold my tongue. I like Muzzin. But there are not many D as good on their off wing as their natural side. I'll only accept its a good idea when he proves he is the guy that can do it!

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Carolina is looking for top-6 scoring help for one of their Ds and Kapanen is a no-go.

Would I have paid Kapanen for Justin Faulk? Not sure. I would have paid this package. If it was available for Faulk. Not knowing, hard for me to judge.