The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NY Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks, HNIC 7pm Feb 23,2019

Zigmund.Palffy

8 hours ago, xereau said:

Edler was playing quite well all year.  And his current injury shouldn't slow him up much when he returns. Its like getting a top D man at the trade deadline. Plus, the ladies dig the scars.  He probably has 2 years left at this level. If he is willing to give the team a huge hometown discount, lock him up for 2.

Agreed, but I am guessing this is the sticking point in the negotiations. Benning probably wants to give 2 years and Edler probably wants 3 or 4, with an NTC and NM to cover the expansion draft. The problem, aside from Edler getting older, is that in three years EP will have a new deal, and the Canucks will need cap room. Benning would probably rather pay full market or a bit more for the next two years than get a small home discount on a three year deal. .

8 hours ago, Bo fan said:

I'm thinking .............nope not a good idea (thinking) - I thinking they either need to play Goldy or find a new home for him - I know he does not fit on the bottom 6 but crap - put him on Bo's wing or back with Petey and Brock . And Mac in before Schaller - he needs a new home too. Rehoming can be a good thing.

Caught the Benning interview -  think he said all the right things - all the things I wanted to hear from him anyways

NYI - don't see them much so don't know much about them

Hoping for a good game

Anyone heard any updates from the Injured list. Haven't heard a thing on Sven in a long time

The last thing I heard on Baertschi was in a Green interview where he said something like "it will be a while". It would not surprise me if Baer is gone for the season. Even if he is "symptom free", he is at much higher risk of further problems if he comes back soon. As we have seen with Crosby, Willie Mitchell, and others (and lots of other data), the chances of avoiding recurring problems are much higher if the player takes a long break. With the playoffs pretty much out of the picture at this stage, the best thing the Canucks can do is let Baertschi rest. He is a genuine top 6 winger and is good on the PP -- two things the Canucks will really need next year if they are going to make a serious run at the playoffs.

As for other injuries, not much good news: a month for Jake, indefinite for Sutter (i.e. it will be a while), "a few weeks" for Tanev, and Edler has a concussion, which we know is uncertain. And there is no reason to rush him back and increase the risk of re-injury. And things just seem to keep stretching out for Demko although he is probably the closest to returning.

Bottom line: the young guys and the projects (at least ones who are healthy) have "an opportunity to excel".

I agree about playing Goldy. Maybe he plays well against the Islanders and they offer the Canucks a second round pick for him (wishful thinking on  my part).

I just took a breeze through the Canucks games that were played between November and up until last game. I did this because I realized that the PP, Petterssons scoring rate and all in all, the teams record has wavered ever since Leivo has been put in the first line/PP ( I know spooner was in the top line vs the yotes) and Goldobin being sat more frequently.

From what I discovered, there IS a correlation with Goldobin being on the first line, being on the first unit PP, the Canucks have a pretty good winning record. I looked through each game, stat sheets and most of the memorable games we've had this season or when the team scores 3-4 + goals, Goldobin has been in the lineup. You guys can look at it for yourselves, but its fact that this team is better with Goldobin in the lineup getting big minutes. I know his work ethic and has been defensively questioned, the fact we are getting wins with him i would think is the be all and all. Thats not a knock on Leivo, its still a great trade, but right now, we aren't winning games and scoring as it is, the PP has gone stale, they need to give Goldy a serious run . As much we want to say Goldy just rode Petterssons coattails, keep in mind EP40 isn't scoring a lot these days with Leivo getting a lot of favorable minutes

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

I just took a breeze through the Canucks games that were played between November and up until last game. I did this because I realized that the PP, Petterssons scoring rate and all in all, the teams record has wavered ever since Leivo has been put in the first line/PP ( I know spooner was in the top line vs the yotes) and Goldobin being sat more frequently.

From what I discovered, there IS a correlation with Goldobin being on the first line, being on the first unit PP, the Canucks have a pretty good winning record. I looked through each game, stat sheets and most of the memorable games we've had this season or when the team scores 3-4 + goals, Goldobin has been in the lineup. You guys can look at it for yourselves, but its fact that this team is better with Goldobin in the lineup getting big minutes. I know his work ethic and has been defensively questioned, the fact we are getting wins with him i would think is the be all and all. Thats not a knock on Leivo, it's still a great trade, but right now, we aren't winning games and scoring as it is, the PP has gone stale, they need to give Goldy a serious run . As much we want to say Goldy just rode Petterssons coattails, keep in mind EP40 isn't scoring a lot these days with Leivo getting a lot of favorable minutes

I've thought the same thing. Like EP, Goldy thinks the game at a high level, he and Petey seem to mesh well. Brock is great at getting open. Yes, Goldy passing to EP seems like an easy way to get assists, but if that's the case why isn't Leivo putting up the same kind of numbers? I have also noticed more compete in Goldy's game in his last couple of chances. They should just put him on that and leave him until the season's over. Tell him this is his chance, sink or swim. Put Spooner and Leivo with Bo, give him a couple of guys who can score and get him the puck.

25 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I've thought the same thing. Like EP, Goldy thinks the game at a high level, he and Petey seem to mesh well. Brock is great at getting open. Yes, Goldy passing to EP seems like an easy way to get assists, but if that's the case why isn't Leivo putting up the same kind of numbers? I have also noticed more compete in Goldy's game in his last couple of chances. They should just put him on that and leave him until the season's over. Tell him this is his chance, sink or swim. Put Spooner and Leivo with Bo, give him a couple of guys who can score and get him the puck.

Goldy can do things that Leivo can't, i know Leivo is more of a Travis Green type of player, I get that, but we've come to a point now where I don't really care how we get the wins, as long as we get them. EP hasn't looked as dynamic as he did like in the beginning half of the season, but there needs to be creativity added to the top end of the line up

7 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Just putting this out here but since pouliot started playing with Biega and not Gudbranson he's played significantly better. I mean he's not amazing but he's ok. 

Gudbranson is the worst player on this team next to Schaller. You do bring up a good point, Pouliot hasn't been that noticeable (thats a good thing) since he's been with Biega. Thats $4 million worth of garbage in our bottom pairing. Honestly, bench Gudrbanson, and put Breeze and Sautner together, we'd be way better defensively. That Sautner kid can play, he looked good last game and the few games he had with us last season.

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Agreed, but I am guessing this is the sticking point in the negotiations. Benning probably wants to give 2 years and Edler probably wants 3 or 4, with an NTC and NM to cover the expansion draft. The problem, aside from Edler getting older, is that in three years EP will have a new deal, and the Canucks will need cap room. Benning would probably rather pay full market or a bit more for the next two years than get a small home discount on a three year deal. .

The last thing I heard on Baertschi was in a Green interview where he said something like "it will be a while". It would not surprise me if Baer is gone for the season. Even if he is "symptom free", he is at much higher risk of further problems if he comes back soon. As we have seen with Crosby, Willie Mitchell, and others (and lots of other data), the chances of avoiding recurring problems are much higher if the player takes a long break. With the playoffs pretty much out of the picture at this stage, the best thing the Canucks can do is let Baertschi rest. He is a genuine top 6 winger and is good on the PP -- two things the Canucks will really need next year if they are going to make a serious run at the playoffs.

As for other injuries, not much good news: a month for Jake, indefinite for Sutter (i.e. it will be a while), "a few weeks" for Tanev, and Edler has a concussion, which we know is uncertain. And there is no reason to rush him back and increase the risk of re-injury. And things just seem to keep stretching out for Demko although he is probably the closest to returning.

Bottom line: the young guys and the projects (at least ones who are healthy) have "an opportunity to excel".

I agree about playing Goldy. Maybe he plays well against the Islanders and they offer the Canucks a second round pick for him (wishful thinking on  my part).

I’m guessing the sticking point is as you said about term and a NMC and NTC. JB won’t want to lose a young Dman or other player to protect Edler in expansion. That would be a poor decision at this stage of his career. Edler is not going to “get it all” if he wants to re-sign here his agent is going to have to accept that. I could care less about term but if JB re-signs him and he is protected via his contract from expansion, I will lose respect for old Jimbo!

Archived