The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Panarin Interested in Vancouver

SuitnTie

Just now, rekker said:

I used to be on the sign EK train but have gotten off. I see Hughes filling that role moving forward. All I know is I want a high end signing or nothing. Panarin fits the bill. 

Totally agree.  High end signing or stay out of the UFA market.  We already have too many middle of the pack support guys.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To me that is the dream.  Sign Panarin, get Tryamkin back and trade for Risto:

Panarin Petterson Boeser

Tryamkin Ristolainen

Hughes Tanev/Myers

Edler Stetcher

Joulevi Schenn

My unrealistic dream has an extra bit of fantasy.

Lee-Petterson-Boeser

Panarin-Horvat-Pearson

Baertschil-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tryamkin

Hutton-Stecher

Lee is ideal for the Petterson line as he has good size and is one of the best net front guys in the league.

Panarin is a winger with skill than Horvat has never really had.

Third line that can put in some goals to make it harder for opposition to just focus on stopping top 6.

Defence is still a work in progress.

• Upvote 2

me if you want Panarin to come you must trade about 4 players maybe 5 and get back a solid D plus another top 6 guy

then sign Panarin and another D

so draft day make your moves then sign Panarin and a D and we should be ij the playoffs for years!

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd be happy with Panarin, but do worry about the Cap hit going forward.  Big Cap hits to a few elite guys can ruin a team's depth, and make it all most impossible to compete in the playoffs. 

If Panarin wants more than 10 million then I'm out. However the thing is we can draft elite players, but they will still command that type of money, so what's the difference by signing the guy for free to that type of money as if you had "drafted" him and he blossomed into an elite player. But instead now, you would have him plus your plethora of current cheap young talent to make a push. When we get to the cap crunch at some point, then we figure things out, but in the meantime, we would continue to draft well (we can still find decent players anywhere in the draft) to have the depth to fill any voids lost if we have to lose a good player or two due the cap restraints.

Panarin at say 10 million a season also would put a benchmark for someone like Pettersson. He's proven he can carry an offense in Columbus where before in Chicago one might've said he fed off of Kane. He doesn't relent in the playoffs either as he's basically still a PPG guy, so it's not like he disappears when the going gets tough either. If we are struggling cap-wise, the problem won't likely be Panarin who would appear to be worth every penny as long as he can continue his play that he's brought these past 4 years in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

me if you want Panarin to come you must trade about 4 players maybe 5 and get back a solid D plus another top 6 guy

then sign Panarin and another D

so draft day make your moves then sign Panarin and a D and we should be ij the playoffs for years!

Risky game to set your team up for an unknown. What if we make the draft day moves and Panarin chooses elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Panarin wants more than 10 million then I'm out. However the thing is we can draft elite players, but they will still command that type of money, so what's the difference by signing the guy for free to that type of money as if you had "drafted" him and he blossomed into an elite player. But instead now, you would have him plus your plethora of current cheap young talent to make a push. When we get to the cap crunch at some point, then we figure things out, but in the meantime, we would continue to draft well (we can still find decent players anywhere in the draft) to have the depth to fill any voids lost if we have to lose a good player or two due the cap restraints.

Panarin at say 10 million a season also would put a benchmark for someone like Pettersson. He's proven he can carry an offense in Columbus where before in Chicago one might've said he fed off of Kane. He doesn't relent in the playoffs either as he's basically still a PPG guy, so it's not like he disappears when the going gets tough either. If we are struggling cap-wise, the problem won't likely be Panarin who would appear to be worth every penny as long as he can continue his play that he's brought these past 4 years in the NHL.

Is Panarin is the same level of "driver of play" as Marner?  If so, then 10 or even 11 million for seven years is better than the four firsts it would cost to get (a younger only) Marner.  

Bo deserves to have a play driving winger.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Panarin is the same level of "driver of play" as Marner?  If so, then 10 or even 11 million for seven years is better than the four firsts it would cost to get (a younger only) Marner.  

Bo deserves to have a play driving winger.  

Last year Panarin beat his next teammate by 25 points (who happens to be a dman) so clearly he drove that offense from the forwards. This year he's ahead of the next guy by 18, but supposedly a better support cast. Marner upped his offense this season, but Tavares also joined the team who's not shabby himself. So I would certainly choose Panarin over Marner given the circumstances, but it comes down to if Panarin would choose us.

I should add that I would consider giving up 4 1sts for Marner as well because we'd be getting him at a much younger age and will get more prime years out of him. Plus he's shown a defensive side of his game as well which is more rare amongst top offensive players.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

I have been pretty impressed with Panarin's CUP play but fans have to take that in contest with what the rest of his team provides in support of his play. The Canucks are entering a period of development where they have pieces that don't fit and yet are talented enough to garner interest in the trade market. How Benning does in moving those players to improve the overall team will be a huge challenge. 

As the team is constructed now they could make playoffs but will not fair well. The are not BIG enough. Sign as many Panarin's as you want but the size aspect has to be dealt with. Also add some truculence. Canuck fans loved Schenn's game simply because his physicality stuck out like a sore thumb. It did/does not exist otherwise. Going into the playoffs I mentioned CBJ coming into town 2 seasons ago and absolutely running the Canucks off the ice. Boone Jenner was a standout that night and surprise he is part of a key line that just smoked TBay. While I hope MacKewen cracks the lineup next year there are not a lot of players with talent and pushback in the prospect pool. Maybe Gadjovich but he is no guarantee. Maybe Jake has an epithany  this summer. IMHO a serious CUP contender needs half a dozen such players.  

On 4/18/2019 at 8:20 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

To me that is the dream.  Sign Panarin, get Tryamkin back and trade for Risto:

Panarin Petterson Boeser

Tryamkin Ristolainen

Hughes Tanev/Myers

Edler Stetcher

Joulevi Schenn

Every time Risto is brought up on HFBoards Buffalo fans are demanding a Boeser type player in return which I wouldn't even touch an ask like that.  Risto is a tire fire in his own end also, yea he might help the offense and put up around .5 ppg from the back end but when your constantly getting torched in your own end I wouldn't even touch it.  -130 or so in 6 seasons is bad and yea I know Buffalo isn't great for a long time but hell thats just bad....  

I don't buy that we are not being built for the playoffs, though clearly our team need more talent.

We are filling in skilled guys and Panarin would be an excellent edition.

Bo was a monster in the playoffs in Junior and his game is built for the playoffs.  Jake and to a lesser extent Pearson's games are also built for the playoffs, speed and size in straight lines, going to the net.  This is the reason Jake was taken so high.  A power forward with speed for days is an invaluable asset in the playoffs and is a really hard commodity to find (much harder than a small skilled winger).

Roussel and Beagle were also brought in for this reason.  Players who are built for the playoffs.  

I would also say have a look at what Pettey did in the last playoffs he was in, MVP and champion.

The D is supposedly being rebuilt this year.  No they are not a group that is built to do well in the playoffs as they stand but they aren't built to do well in the regular season as they stand.  They just kind of suck as they stand.

I understand it is a popular refrain that we aren't built for the playoffs and some of that is because we don't have a goon.  Now this is a specious argument because fighting mostly goes away in the playoffs, especially fighting by goons.  Power forwards on the other hand are more valuable than ever.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Russ said:

Every time Risto is brought up on HFBoards Buffalo fans are demanding a Boeser type player in return which I wouldn't even touch an ask like that.  Risto is a tire fire in his own end also, yea he might help the offense and put up around .5 ppg from the back end but when your constantly getting torched in your own end I wouldn't even touch it.  -130 or so in 6 seasons is bad and yea I know Buffalo isn't great for a long time but hell thats just bad....  

I’ve never understood the obsession with him on here, I’d rather sign Jake Gardiner.. #pickyourpoison

1 minute ago, EliasBoeser said:

I’ve never understood the obsession with him on here, I’d rather sign Jake Gardiner.. #pickyourpoison

I assume its the RD vs LD.  He's basically Gardiner which I hope we don't go after either.  If they really want someone they may as well throw higher pay with short term at a Tyler Myers type player and not give up assets. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I assume its the RD vs LD.  He's basically Gardiner which I hope we don't go after either.  If they really want someone they may as well throw higher pay with short term at a Tyler Myers type player and not give up assets. 

RD vs LD is part of it but it’s also size, edge, age, and cap hit.  There is an element of D to refine still but we need to have a d balance.  Can’t have all Tanevs.  To your point earlier if the ask is Boeser, then it’s a no.  Only in a buy low-ish scenario.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

1 hour ago, EliasBoeser said:

A LOT of Ristolainen's 'poor stats' are situational IMO. He's miscast playing the high minute, all situation Edler role in BUF without Edler's defensive ability or veteran experience (on arguably just as much, if not more of a tire fire of a team). In more of a 2nd pair/offensive D role with less minutes, less Dzone starts etc, I think he'd flourish.

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

RD vs LD is part of it but it’s also size, edge, age, and cap hit.  There is an element of D to refine still but we need to have a d balance.  Can’t have all Tanevs.  To your point earlier if the ask is Boeser, then it’s a no.  Only in a buy low-ish scenario.

This. 

And yeah, no way they're getting Boeser. I'd kick tires on a buy low deal but if that doesn't work out, I look elsewhere. I actually like Ceci out of OTT as a cheap 2nd pair D trade target. He's not as 'exciting' as some of the other guys people like to kick around as trade targets but he's the right age, has decent size, good skating and would make a nice younger, bigger, healthier replacement for Tanev and given his expiring contract and likely salary ask and that OTT is rebuilding, shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire. And whatever we move, we could likely recover most (if not more) from moving Tanev (ideally to TBL).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

No idea what Panarin's personal situation and views are, but from what I've seen he's playing well, looking very engaged and looks like the fans love him. So whereas it earlier in the season it looked like a given that he would move on, the current cup run (I think they will advance to at least the conference finals) might change things.

• Like 1