The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I thought he looked fine and showed a lot of poise / stability. It may be the case where too much was expected out of him during his time with the other teams where he was relied on too heavily as a Top 4 pairing. He may be better suited with less minutes in a bottom 2 role (with PK time).

22 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I thought he looked fine and showed a lot of poise / stability. It may be the case where too much was expected out of him during his time with the other teams where he was relied on too heavily as a Top 4 pairing. He may be better suited with less minutes in a bottom 2 role (with PK time).

He's an NHL vet with over 700 games to his resume; he knows all the on-ice situations, how to react to those, and the safe simple plays to get him out of trouble. If the only knock on Schenn was his ability to keep up with the faster pace of today's NHL, then by all accounts if he puts in the work to improve his skating and passing I do see him extending his career by a few years. If he does just that, I do see him in that sheltered third pairing role with PK time as you said.

It's only been a 1 game sample size, but by all accounts Schenn wasn't as slow as advertised which looks good for him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Bring in Hughes and sign one of Karlsson/Myers.

Have to look at what's remaining on the right side:

Tanev

Stecher

Biega

Schenn

Chatfield

Woo

Pretty sure that's going to be addressed (out of necessity), and considering Benning tried to get Myers at his first draft here, would not be one bit surprised to see him go that direction.  Not that Myers is that physical, but it would also address some of the size we lost in the Gudbranson trade.

• Cheers 1

I think positioning will be key for him. If he can find a partner that doesn’t get caught out of position, most of the time he doesn’t have to be fast, but just let the game come to him. 

Really liked his first game here. Solid stay at home D, we need it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TU90 said:

Thought he was good. You can see that he struggles when turning, but other than that he was good. 

I didn't notice those struggles. I'm guessing you missed the spin-o-rama he did in the 3rd period to get away from those forecheckers? 

I'm not missing Gudbranson at all. He was already irrelevant, kind of like Lucic these days.

Anyways it's just 1 game, but I'm feeling optimistic about Schenn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the problem with Schenn has always been struggling with the expectations teams have of him because his draft position. 

If he can focus on keeping it simple and bringing a physical edge to his game, he could be a good cheap replacement for Guddy on the bottom pair.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If Schenn plays well down the stretch, then I could see the Canucks looking to bring him back as a bottom-pairing/depth D.  Too early to say if that would be good but the team always needs depth D, especially RHD, and Schenn is as experienced as they come.  I'm very interested to see how Schenn fairs against better competition than the Ducks but his first game showed promise.  Based just on Schenn's ability to move the puck (whether it's passing or shooting), he already seems like an improvement over Guddy (no disrespect to Guddy - he had his moments but he generally seemed to struggle with the puck).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If Schenn plays well down the stretch, then I could see the Canucks looking to bring him back as a bottom-pairing/depth D.  Too early to say if that would be good but the team always needs depth D, especially RHD, and Schenn is as experienced as they come.  I'm very interested to see how Schenn fairs against better competition than the Ducks but his first game showed promise.  Based just on Schenn's ability to move the puck (whether it's passing or shooting), he already seems like an improvement over Guddy (no disrespect to Guddy - he had his moments but he generally seemed to struggle with the puck).

I could see the Canucks signing Schenn to a one way deal, but sending him down to Utica when we are healthy.  

I was pleasantly surprized at Lukes game.For not seeing NHL caliber players for a while he really did a great job.With the amount of injuries this team continually has on defense I would think they might want to keep Mr. Schenn around.

I have played the game and "positioning" sometimes has a unbelievably good effect in your defensive zone.As a forward you deke around everyone except that last defense man guarding his net.

Keep up the good work LUKE!

• Like 1