The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Benning said that Dahlens agent said so. 
A lot of people say that someone said something but Dahlen said ge didn’t wanted a trade. He wanted a change… But since a lot of people here misundrrstand what I say it might be just a misunderstanding from a GM that isn’t exactly an intelligent GM. 

If Dahlen didn't ask for the trade, then what sense would it have made to move him for a younger prospect that wasn't as far along I their development that wasn't going to be leaving Sweden any time in the near future? It's obvious he asked for a trade. If he hadn't, the trade wouldn't have happened.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

You know who else said the same thing. Jesse Puljarvi in EDM. Holland said fk u Puljarvi. 

And they got lucky. Dahlen could have just as easily said fk u back to us and played out the next few years in Sweden until our rights to him expired, at which point we would have lost him for nothing.

Why do y'all even care about this kid? He's not our player. Go to the San Jose boards and swoon over him there with the other Shark fans.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Dahlen didn't ask for the trade, then what sense would it have made to move him for a younger prospect that wasn't as far along I their development that wasn't going to be leaving Sweden any time in the near future? It's obvious he asked for a trade. If he hadn't, the trade wouldn't have happened.

Dahlen wanted a change and Benning didn’t give the agent/Dahlen any other option than a trade.

I would like to interview Benning to see how much he understands….

• Haha 1

buddy currently has a sh% of 19%, its unsustainable. Good for him for having a good start and not, as of yet, ending up as another lost tweener. 

Moving on from him tho was the right decision for him and the club, he wouldn't be in this spot otherwise. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Dahlen wanted a change and Benning didn’t give the agent/Dahlen any other option than a trade.

I would like to interview Benning to see how much he understands….

There's precedence within the organization for Benning allowing prospects to play in overseas if things aren't working out in NA. Palmu and Juolevi. One could make the argument that Dahlen was closer to being NHL ready, which is why Benning wasn't willing to lose control of him, but then why trade him for a younger prospect that's further away from being NHL ready and would also be playing in Sweden? That makes no sense. 

I would like to interview you to see how much you understand.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's precedence within the organization for Benning allowing prospects to play in overseas if things aren't working out in NA. Palmu and Juolevi. One could make the argument that Dahlen was closer to being NHL ready, which is why Benning wasn't willing to lose control of him, but then why trade him for a younger prospect that's further away from being NHL ready and would also be playing in Sweden? That makes no sense. 

Linus is 2 years younger and a C. Seems to be having a decent year by the stats. 

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So you think I have any role in the Canucks? If not it’s pretty stupid to interview me since I don’t have any say in the organisation. Benning on the other hand…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dahlen could have just as easily said fk u back to us and played out the next few years in Sweden until our rights to him expired, at which point we would have lost him for nothing.

Players mind can change a la Jesse Puljarvi. We still owned his rights for a while. I wouldve rather taken a chance on Dahlen. But its useless thinking about it now cuz hes gone. Just salty we weren't patient thats all. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Are we going to resurrect this thread every time Dahlen gets a goal or assist for the rest of his career or 

Let the ex-girlfriend go, this ain't healthy 

You've been here long enough to know this is how CDC operates. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Are we going to resurrect this thread every time Dahlen gets a goal or assist for the rest of his career or 

Let the ex-girlfriend go, this ain't healthy 

Yes, this should be in the alumni section.

The same with Marky/Tanev or the Arizona trade. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's somewhat amusing how folk will cite Dahlen as an example of patience paying off while simultaneously writing off Karlsson completely.

well there's a pretty huge difference in talent level.. i'd say the gap between Dahlen prolly his floor is karlsson's ceiling..and dahlen's floor is prolly a fringe nhler.. more than likely never to play a regular season game for the canucks

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Dahlen wouldn't have made our team this year, but I'm happy that he's doing well with the San Jose Sharracudas. 

Not with superstars like Alex Chaisson to beat out of a spot.:P

But yeah, people have to look at things in context.  Forsling for example.  You think Travis Green would've given him any minutes here?  Doubtful.  Much like Michael Grabner when Alain Vigneault was coach.  One can question how you dealt with said asset, but it's highly debatable if said prospect would've done anything with the Canucks.

39 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well there's a pretty huge difference in talent level.. i'd say the gap between Dahlen prolly his floor is karlsson's ceiling..and dahlen's floor is prolly a fringe nhler.. more than likely never to play a regular season game for the canucks

I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Karlsson's got 10 points in 16 games so far playing in the SHL - not bad to be honest. 

Likely translates to well over a point per game in Allsvenskan, the league that Dahlen was in at the same age.

Again let’s wait and see where Karlsson is at in a couple years.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2