The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]- Hometown biased at its finest

RetroCanuck

Article out of the Province Edmonton by David Staples. Trying to argue that Lucic is not only easily tradeable and not cost much to move, but if anything might get you something. The part below relates directly to the Canucks. 

"There are a few less toxic scenarios, and I expect one of them to play out. The deal could for another under-performing player like a Loui Eriksson in Vancouver, who has an equally expensive contract, but a year shorter in term. In this case, with Vancouver badly needing toughness, they might well be expected to sweeten the deal.

Or it could be the Oilers eating 20 to 50 per cent Lucic’s contract, but taking back a slightly less failed and lower paid player, like Vancouver’s Brandon Sutter, 30, who has two years at $4.5 million per left on his deal and was -12 in 26 games last year."

Personally I view Eriksson as a more useful player. Thats not to say I wouldn't waive him for a younger guy that deserves a spot such as Motte or MacEwen, but I definitely wouldn't give up value for Lucic.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/prediction-edmonton-oilers-will-move-milan-lucic-without-swallowing-major-poison-pill/wcm/6f4c93b1-76ff-4cc1-9d93-0b3d1c45de9d?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0feF3cYN5QUmJzkreAXkwSdqp_QVAoXO_kpZ5kYSMbU_ytcbPSpgX22qw#Echobox=1557453373

Now why would we want anything to do with a  big goof like Lucic,

and why would we want to help Edmonton in any way.They have been extremely lucky at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT and yet they continue to crap the bed.

They have two or three players making the majority of the money and the supporting cast is barely AHL caliber and almost as much hype as the Loser Leafs.

My two favorite teams to see lose Oilers and Leafs,so I for one do not want to help these two teams in any way.

As over paid as he is, Eriksson is an excellent bottom 6 player who is good at penalty killing, forechecking and grinding in the corners.

In contrast, Lucic only fights selfishly when someone hurts his feelings and takes bad retaliatory penalties, he's slower than molasses, has a higher cap hit and more term and could quite possibly be a cancer in the locker room.

I know who I would rather have.

If the Benn stuff is really true, thats the overpaid deal Jim should go after. Benn-Pettersson-Boeser is a legit top 10 1st line.

If that did happen it may actually be worth hanging on to Loui for an extra year since the only other move would likely be for a mid-tier defence upgrade.

Loui can help on the PK, and fill in on the LW while Roussel is recovering, or maybe even on Bo's RW if the spark of offence we saw at the end of last year is actually a thing. 

Taking on Lucic just doesn't fit the bill. Maybe pre-Holland if we could have got Chiarelli to do something dumb like give us the 8th oa, but thats not going to happen, Holland isn't going to make that his legacy. 

41 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Article out of the Province Edmonton by David Staples. Trying to argue that Lucic is not only easily tradeable and not cost much to move, but if anything might get you something. The part below relates directly to the Canucks. 

"There are a few less toxic scenarios, and I expect one of them to play out. The deal could for another under-performing player like a Loui Eriksson in Vancouver, who has an equally expensive contract, but a year shorter in term. In this case, with Vancouver badly needing toughness, they might well be expected to sweeten the deal.

Or it could be the Oilers eating 20 to 50 per cent Lucic’s contract, but taking back a slightly less failed and lower paid player, like Vancouver’s Brandon Sutter, 30, who has two years at $4.5 million per left on his deal and was -12 in 26 games last year."

Personally I view Eriksson as a more useful player. Thats not to say I wouldn't waive him for a younger guy that deserves a spot such as Motte or MacEwen, but I definitely wouldn't give up value for Lucic.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/prediction-edmonton-oilers-will-move-milan-lucic-without-swallowing-major-poison-pill/wcm/6f4c93b1-76ff-4cc1-9d93-0b3d1c45de9d?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0feF3cYN5QUmJzkreAXkwSdqp_QVAoXO_kpZ5kYSMbU_ytcbPSpgX22qw#Echobox=1557453373

I thought the article was pretty fair to be honest. I was expecting the writer to get Eriksson for 50 percent of the cap hit, yet expect us to take Lucic for full value.

What we need is toughness that can play at the pace of the game. 

We had toughness that couldn't and somehow traded him for something useful.

I just don't see how Lucic provides toughness in coach Green's system, he would always be behind the play.

I really don't think it is worth having a player that can only provide toughness after the whistle is blown because he is catching up to the play. 

Certainly not for what he makes.  

Haha yeah and maybe the Laffs will do Tanev for Reilly, send them back to their hometowns.

Also it’s funny hearing Edmonton talk about how we’re in dire need of ‘toughness’. This management group has gone out of its way multiple times to get ‘tougher’ and look how that’s turned out. Plus having the mighty truculent beast of Lucic somehow hasn’t helped Edmonton. 

Basically this writer is a joke. Eriksson for Lucic 1 for 1 is a nonstarter, us adding to acquire him is lunacy

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Haha yeah and maybe the Laffs will do Tanev for Reilly, send them back to their hometowns.

Also it’s funny hearing Edmonton talk about how we’re in dire need of ‘toughness’. This management group has gone out of its way multiple times to get ‘tougher’ and look how that’s turned out. Plus having the mighty truculent beast of Lucic somehow hasn’t helped Edmonton. 

Basically this writer is a joke. Eriksson for Lucic 1 for 1 is a nonstarter, us adding to acquire him is lunacy

Believe it or not, Loui is a more versatile player then Luc.  Plus most of his contract dollars will have been paid out before the start of  the year. He kills penalties and is very solid defensively. He just doesn't seem to be happy here. It shows in his attitude. 

He could be one of those players who lights it up some where else.

You don't think Toronto will trade us Reilly for Tanev?  Why not?   LOL

Tanev could bring a solid return if traded but not Reilly.  Maybe a mid round first. Right handed D are hard to find. 

Um, they are both worth jack. But knowing Benning he would find a way of overvaluing lucic and give Holland a pick. Like the kassian and a pick for Prust deal. 

But yeah, the author is right. We aren’t getting any sweetener in a deal like this. And definitely won’t get the freaking 8th overall if we throw in crap like Hutton and leivo lol

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Can't waive a player with a NMC

*oops nTc now, my bad

The Canucks have had the cap space to take on a numerous bad contracts since Benning has taken over. But that sort of thing just isn't Benning's managing style or the Aquilini's just didn't want to pay up for it. 

Whatever the reason it's a real shame. For example, this team missed out on Dante Fabbro or Jacob ChyChrun when Detroit dealt away Pavel Datsyuk's contract. 

Archived