The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I take Zaitsev with no sweetener attached before I sign Myers.  Myers is a 3rd pairing guy on a decent team just like Zaitsev, but is going to get $6 million plus and a lot of term because he is big.

If the Canucks go after a larger defenseman, I'd prefer it be a player who can use his size advantage to the team's benefit. Myers has never struck me as an overtly physical defenseman for his size.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Either option should be way down our contingency list.  Heck, find a way to pay out Tryamkin's last KHL contract year and pay him $3 million per year on a 3 year term to be our 3rd pairing RD.  Trade Virtanen+Dipietro+ for a quality young top 4 D.... do almost anything before any of these options.

Exactly. Tryamkin has about 40 lbs. on Myers and when he does use it, he is a terror.

I'd prefer a younger, and meaner defenseman before some middling UFA.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the Canucks go after a larger defenseman, I'd prefer it be a player who can use his size advantage to the team's benefit. Myers has never struck me as an overtly physical defenseman for his size.

Exactly. Tryamkin has about 40 lbs. on Myers and when he does use it, he is a terror.

I'd prefer a younger, and meaner defenseman before some middling UFA.

He's a toothpick. A looooong toothpick basically.

I was just reading the jets thread and posters there think Myers is actually a half decent 2nd pairing D. Because of their cap they don't want to pay him more than 4million for 4 years. But they think he will get 6 x 6 in UFA.  Just fyi.

Edit: and yes....6 million per for a 2nd pairing D is very expensive. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

I'm not a fan of signing any Dman long term.  Even Edler.  We have too many young guys in the system who are developing and will hopefully be a part of our future.  Hughes, Stecher right now on the big club and then we have Brisebois, Woo, Juolevi and possibly Tryamkin who are waiting in the wings.  

We should sign Hutton to a reasonable contract as he provides coverage right now while we wait for the other guys to develop.  He can also be used as a trade chip as he's till young enough and holds some value.  Schenn should be signed to a 2-3 year deal as he brings much needed size and physicality and can be used as a 3rd pairing guy and can fill in the top 4 when injuries occur.  If Edler wants to take a 2 year deal with a NMC that's fine, I have no problem with that.  However anything over 2 years and we should move on from him, he's just not worth keeping long term with so many young left handed D in our system ready to take a spot on the big club.

If we move on from Edler I'd rather we sign a guy like Brooks Orpik to a short term deal or Braydon Coburn.  They can at least provide some physicality and can be big bodies surrounding our smaller D.  Orpik would be my first choice as he's a champion and a great veteran presence and will probably only get a 1-2 year deal max.  He can slide up and down the lineup, you can even pair him with Stecher and move Hutton with Tanev.  Have Hughes paired with Schenn and we are good to go for now.  This is only a short term solution until the prospects are ready to take the jump and hopefully we get Tryamkin back in a year.  Also, it allows us flexibility for next summer if a top Dman is available in free agency or a trade. 

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was just reading the jets thread and posters there think Myers is actually a half decent 2nd pairing D. Because of their cap they don't want to pay him more than 4million for 4 years. But they think he will get 6 x 6 in UFA.  Just fyi.

Edit: and yes....6 million per for a 2nd pairing D is very expensive. 

Not really.

Top pair D are pretty much making $6.5+ (new UFA contracts signed in 'today'). Second pair D generally fall in the $4.5-$6.5 range and third pair and below D $4.5 or less.

#inflation, #rising cap

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really.

Top pair D are pretty much making $6.5+ (new UFA contracts signed in 'today'). Second pair D generally fall in the $4.5-$6.5 range and third pair and below D $4.5 or less.

#inflation, #rising cap

I think 6 is fine for Myers but for it to make sense it would be better at 4 years.  All depends on what somebody will pay but he would be work at 6 over 4 years in my mind.  Brings him to 33 at the end of the contact.  He is not physical really but the reach, shot and much movement are still valuable in the top 4.

We could do worse than Edler at 6 for 3 and Myers at 6 for 4.  Decent fallback plan.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think 6 is fine for Myers but for it to make sense it would be better at 4 years.  All depends on what somebody will pay but he would be work at 6 over 4 years in my mind.  Brings him to 33 at the end of the contact.  He is not physical really but the reach, shot and much movement are still valuable in the top 4.

We could do worse than Edler at 6 for 3 and Myers at 6 for 4.  Decent fallback plan.

Myers won't be signing a 4 year deal. You're looking at 6 or 7 years. 4 years is silly-talk.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm kinda worried Benning is gonna sign another couple bad contracts on defense. He doesn't exactly have a great track record of signing and acquiring good D-men :

Sbisa

Clendening

Bartkowski

Pedan

Larsen

Gudbranson

Del Zotto

Pouliot

Holm

Enough with the bargain bin shopping and trading for other teams castaways. If we wanna actually fix our defense it's time to either spend on a big ticket player like Karlsson, or pay up for some real top 4 talent like Trouba or Ristolainen.

That list is pretty telling in how many faux ppqb types we’ve tried to acquire.  I wonder how much Hughes changes the target back to either a true do-it-all number 1 or a rugged shutdown guy who we also chased a bit in Sbisa and Guddy.

I think there’s value in a Myers acquisition as a big shot opposite Hughes on a top notch second pair.. but that would still leave a big hole at the top of the lineup and JB’s work wouldn’t be done. 

Nabbing Karlsson / Trouba / Risto changes the game.  If we can sign Edler and pair him with any of those 3, we have a do-it-all top pairing for the next 2-3 years.  

Should be a pretty interesting offseason... I’m being a bit impatient but I’ll be disappointed with some half-measures as well... at that point we may as well hold steady and save the cap space until Tryamkin possibly returns or we have the assets to acquire the next Trouba or sign the next Karlsson. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That list is pretty telling in how many faux ppqb types we’ve tried to acquire.  I wonder how much Hughes changes the target back to either a true do-it-all number 1 or a rugged shutdown guy who we also chased a bit in Sbisa and Guddy.

I think there’s value in a Myers acquisition as a big shot opposite Hughes on a top notch second pair.. but that would still leave a big hole at the top of the lineup and JB’s work wouldn’t be done. 

Nabbing Karlsson / Trouba / Risto changes the game.  If we can sign Edler and pair him with any of those 3, we have a do-it-all top pairing for the next 2-3 years.  

Should be a pretty interesting offseason... I’m being a bit impatient but I’ll be disappointed with some half-measures as well... at that point we may as well hold steady and save the cap space until Tryamkin possibly returns or we have the assets to acquire the next Trouba or sign the next Karlsson. 

Luca Sbisa IMO was decent, other than his first year as a Canuck.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yea but when Sbisa is your best acquisition in 5 years you've got a problem.

He seems to be turning the corner with Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Woo but trades and signings on D have not been his strong suit. We're paying too much for less than average players.

Edited by DeNiro

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Trotz healthy scratched him all of last season save for 9 games.  He's likely retiring at not even 30.  

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm kinda worried Benning is gonna sign another couple bad contracts on defense. He doesn't exactly have a great track record of signing and acquiring good D-men :

Sbisa

Clendening

Bartkowski

Pedan

Larsen

Gudbranson

Del Zotto

Pouliot

Holm

Enough with the bargain bin shopping and trading for other teams castaways. If we wanna actually fix our defense it's time to either spend on a big ticket player like Karlsson, or pay up for some real top 4 talent like Trouba or Ristolainen.

All stop-gap signings to get us through the rebuild. The unfortunate part is we didn't hit on any and have at least one break out. Now that our core is formed, though, JB will build the backend through Hughes, hopefully OJ, Tree after march, and some higher profile UFA signings, as the time to start winning is now and not within the last five years. 

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Trotz healthy scratched him all of last season save for 9 games.  He's likely retiring at not even 30.  

Im talking about his tenure as a Canuck.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but when Sbisa is your best acquisition in 5 years you've got a problem.

He seems to be turning the corner with Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Woo but trades and signings on D have not been his strong suit. We're paying too much for less than average players.

Stop gaps and Hail Mary's with no leverage to attract guys top players means 'overspending' to even grab mediocre ones. I wouldn't read too much in to it, more circumstance than anything else IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Sbisa should continue his a career as a perfect 5 or 6 dman. Problem is the NHL has changed in that the pressure to develop young kids quickly has squeezed out a lot of fringe 30's players like Sbisa. He should still be a bottom pairing NHLer but it may not happen for him. Strong guy who handles the forecheck well. Clears the net well and doesn't take crap. He just seems to melt when he gets to many minutes though. 

Benning has to do something on D so he is just doing his homework.  He likely needs a top4 LHD and a top4 RHD.  Here is the order he is likely looking at things:

LHD

1. Edler

2. Gardiner

RHD

1. Karlsson

2. Trade for Risto/Subban/Trouba

3. Myers

i think he works down his priority list on both sides.  Things move fast this time of year and you need to have your plans in order.