The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

22 hours ago, spook007 said:

Also think there is some cat and mouse going on....

Benning has to show during negotiations, that there are alternatives available, so his may have let slip to the press they are looking at alternatives like Gardiner, Ristolainen, Bogosian etc... Think it makes perfect sense that all these reports appeared, when it looked like it was at dead lock... of course it could also be the press fabricating to generate interest... this is the time.

Strategically, it might makes sense to play to suit your conditions.

If you have a media that is loose with facts, eager to substitute their own hopeful proposals for team intentions - and it suits your interests to have a range of rumours out there - hey, why not float a few less than credible ones our there if it suits your interests.  Then again, whether or not team sources are behind any of it is debatable - have seen enough of these rodeos to realize how much volume of sheer bullshizz makes it into the rumour mills.  In any event, as a bystander it serves to believe none of it and use common sense and intuition - and a realistic assessment of the team's track record - based on those things, a whole lot of it is fairly safe to dismiss out of hand.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

A lot of you guys in here that seem to believe that Tanev's value has bottomed out - that it was a mistake not to trade him at age 26, as if at 29 he'll be considered close to done by a lot of GMs on the market. 

First, I find the shoulda story fairly boring - selling an asset at a deadline for example requires that the asset can skate and play down the stretch.  Folks love to ride the contradiction that he's been injured and therefore his value has diminished, while at the same time pretending that they woulda dealt him themselves.  It's the ease of armchairing and never really looking at any circumstance in context.

Couldn't disagree more with this story of cratered value - you guys lean far too heavily on the impact of mostly freak injuries imo - and further, don't seem to realize the value of RHD that can step into any top 4. 

In any event, there's a fairly glaring contradiction in that post = on the one hand, his value has snowballed to hell, yet on the other he's a principal in a Ristolainen deal.

If Tanev can be moved in a deal for a young RHD, you won't find me arguing against it - but if not, he has serious value as a player this team retains.  Too much armchair drama around this imo - fed by an overly active armchair media in Vancouver, most of whom couldn't build a fantasy team.

I agree. To me the key is acquiring or lining up a top 4 righty to take his place needs to happen first. You just cant trade Tanev with no replacement to be found. If we have to give up a player like Jake and a pick to acquire a guy like Ritso or Barrie then I'm all for trying to recoup some of those assets via a Tanev trade. Easy to say, tougher to do. If nothing of value us offered for Tanev then we just keep him. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

if this Barrie trade goes down, i wouldn't mind Tanev getting dealt at the draft for a late 1st or early 2nd.

SPN650 is saying that Hughes could play the right side if needed, maybe we can still go after Gardiner. 

13 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

if this Barrie trade goes down, i wouldn't mind Tanev getting dealt at the draft for a late 1st or early 2nd.

SPN650 is saying that Hughes could play the right side if needed, maybe we can still go after Gardiner. 

Gross....gardiner at 7 years and 50 million......ewwwwww!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. To me the key is acquiring or lining up a top 4 righty to take his place needs to happen first. You just cant trade Tanev with no replacement to be found. If we have to give up a player like Jake and a pick to acquire a guy like Ritso or Barrie then I'm all for trying to recoup some of those assets via a Tanev trade. Easy to say, tougher to do. If nothing of value us offered for Tanev then we just keep him. 

Exactly.

The team will have at least one rookie LHD this year - Hughes - in the lineup - and possibly a second, if not from the get go, possbly in due course - I think Juolevi is a reasonable bet to debut this season.

So - what RHD are going to play with them? 

Tanev with Edler - leaves Stecher and (Biega/Schenn) at this point.

So I think Stecher likely plays with Edler (good together last year).

And Tanev at this point is the most likely imo / best bet to stabilize Hughes.  Does that pairing have ideal size/grit - not really, but the puck moving - and retrieval  - would be borderline elite.

Hutton/Juolevi - imo Biega and Schenn are reasonable 4/5 guys, but even with Tanev here I think there will pretty clearly be an addition to the right side.

One regardless, and two if Tanev were moved.   Imo any team that is serious about Tanev needs to 1) offer a young RHD or 2) be prepared to pay heavily (ie Kapanen).  Otherwise, he stays (and no, a 2nd round pick is not enough).

They could dip into free agency for a pair of placeholders if need be - but I think they wil probably elect to be a bit more conservative than simply move Tanev while leaving two holes - because I think they'll probably put some priority on ensuring at the very least a quality, enabling partner for Hughes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Strategically, it might makes sense to play to suit your conditions.

If you have a media that is loose with facts, eager to substitute their own hopeful proposals for team intentions - and it suits your interests to have a range of rumours out there - hey, why not float a few less than credible ones our there if it suits your interests.  Then again, whether or not team sources are behind any of it is debatable - have seen enough of these rodeos to realize how much volume of sheer bullshizz makes it into the rumour mills.  In any event, as a bystander it serves to believe none of it and use common sense and intuition - and a realistic assessment of the team's track record - based on those things, a whole lot of it is fairly safe to dismiss out of hand.

Spot on ON... That was exactly my point as well...

Media and on-hangers are just too willing to run with anything they get told, so why not use it to your advantage if the chance appears.

But yes just as well as the above, if it is a quiet day at the office, a few ideas get thrown out there by the press to create a bit of buzz.... headlines sells...

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

The team will have at least one rookie LHD this year - Hughes - in the lineup - and possibly a second, if not from the get go, possbly in due course - I think Juolevi is a reasonable bet to debut this season.

So - what RHD are going to play with them? 

Tanev with Edler - leaves Stecher and (Biega/Schenn) at this point.

So I think Stecher likely plays with Edler (good together last year).

And Tanev at this point is the most likely imo / best bet to stabilize Hughes.  Does that pairing have ideal size/grit - not really, but the puck moving - and retrieval  - would be borderline elite.

Hutton/Juolevi - imo Biega and Schenn are reasonable 4/5 guys, but even with Tanev here I think there will pretty clearly be an addition to the right side.

One regardless, and two if Tanev were moved.   Imo any team that is serious about Tanev needs to 1) offer a young RHD or 2) be prepared to pay heavily (ie Kapanen).  Otherwise, he stays (and no, a 2nd round pick is not enough).

They could dip into free agency for a pair of placeholders if need be - but I think they wil probably elect to be a bit more conservative than simply move Tanev while leaving two holes - because I think they'll probably put some priority on ensuring at the very least a quality, enabling partner for Hughes.

Good points but to me the biggest factor is Tanev is just to injury prone to work with our team. Bad luck, body composition? Probably a bit of both. On a deeper team Tanev will not be deployed the same as he is here so a team can bet on acquiring a healthier Tanev if they feel the bet is worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

A lot of you guys in here that seem to believe that Tanev's value has bottomed out - that it was a mistake not to trade him at age 26, as if at 29 he'll be considered close to done by a lot of GMs on the market. 

First, I find the shoulda story fairly boring - selling an asset at a deadline for example requires that the asset can skate and play down the stretch.  Folks love to ride the contradiction that he's been injured and therefore his value has diminished, while at the same time pretending that they woulda dealt him themselves.  It's the ease of armchairing and never really looking at any circumstance in context.

Couldn't disagree more with this story of cratered value - you guys lean far too heavily on the impact of mostly freak injuries imo - and further, don't seem to realize the value of RHD that can step into any top 4. 

In any event, there's a fairly glaring contradiction in that post = on the one hand, his value has snowballed to hell, yet on the other he's a principal in a Ristolainen deal.

If Tanev can be moved in a deal for a young RHD, you won't find me arguing against it - but if not, he has serious value as a player this team retains.  Too much armchair drama around this imo - fed by an overly active armchair media in Vancouver, most of whom couldn't build a fantasy team.

Sorry Old News, still disagree..

the one “freak injury” was the puck to the jaw..  the rest come from not avoiding , but taking the hit on a regular basis.

He is light framed, he is targeted. It’s a strategy..  he misses a lot of games.

at 4.5m per,  29 years old, and a UFA after this season, a player that more than likely has proven injury prone should be moved when possible.

For ex. Ristolianen 5.4 24yrs for 2 more seasons, who has played almost full 82 games per season for the past 4 or 5 years, is a stronger all round player.

without debating over +/- and situational play.. I personally would rather see Ristolianen here.

Tanev fills the void of Risto’s vacancy in Buffalo, and they get a pick, preferably 2nd round to support the fact that Tanev is a pending FA at the end of 19/20.

To watching Tanev turn to dust before our eyes is heart breaking..  I think there is a better opportunity for him to stay healthier, and perform better on another club like Buffalo.

Buffalo did like him a couple of years ago,. Hope they still do.   If he stays here until free agency and goes somewhere else, then perhaps the arm chair drama needs to happen now.

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

No chance they’re getting a 1st for Tanev alone.

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

I disagree. Late 1sts are contending teams, and Tanev could easily entice one of them with his cap hit and tangibles. He may get injured lots, but he's healthy right now :D

• Upvote 3

I wonder if part of Tanev's injury proneness is due to him coming back too early from injuries.  It's possible that Tanev often came back before being fully healed.  It's not to say that Tanev isn't actually injury prone, but he seems like on of those guys who is willing to pay through pain which might seem good in terms of toughness but isn't really great for the longevity of his career.  Hard to comment on the Canucks medical staff on this since I'm sure they do their best to ensure that players are 100% healthy before returning after an injury, but I expect that it's possible for a player to be cleared too early if the player is denying feeling pain.

In terms of Tanev's trade value, I don't think there's any doubt that he has been one of the better defensive RHD over the course of his career but he needs to get healthy.  If the Canucks are really shopping him, then I can see him still garnering decent value but probably not as high as his value would have been a few years ago.

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I disagree. Late 1sts are contending teams, and Tanev could easily entice one of them with his cap hit and tangibles. He may get injured lots, but he's healthy right now :D

With Callahan going on LTIR do you think TB would be willing since they have a low 1st? He would be a great fit pending on what they do with McDonagh. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Gross....gardiner at 7 years and 50 million......ewwwwww!

I would rather Stralman at 3 years and around 15 million. He is coming off an AAV of 4.5mil at 32 so he would be comparable to Edler, but cheaper. RHD that can play up and down the lineup if needed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

With Callahan going on LTIR do you think TB would be willing since they have a low 1st? He would be a great fit pending on what they do with McDonagh. 

I could see that happening. 

38 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

As well, Tanev on a contending team would not be top-pairing nor given all the heavy-lifting as he is here.  As a second-paring guy, he would be an excellent addition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

San Jose just traded a 32 yr old RD Braun for a 2nd and 3rd - the market seems to disagree with you. Braun is not even as close to as valuable as Tanev.