The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

One year of Barrie? Hopefully there is some kind of assurance that the Canucks can hold on to him for longer.

I'd also be concerned with the lack of size on the blue line. Other than Edler, what sort of size/physicality do the Canucks have on defense? It's all well and good to have high offensive talent, good skating defense men provided that the puck stays at the other end of the ice. Can a team get by just on guys who "position themselves well" but only stick check? Or do teams no longer value letting their goalies have a clear view of a shot from the point?

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Please no!

Virtanen is risky to trade, i still believe he could be a really good player for us ESPECIALLY when we get back to the play-offs. He just seems like one of those players that will come alive ... and the first rounder could be a lottery pick again, see Ottawa...

Unpopular opinion, but this scares the crap out of me. He's a great player, but he's still pretty small and on the ass end of an expiring deal. Regardless of whether he's from here or not, he's going to demand a big salary. 7 + mill most likely (if he doesn't decide to walk). Also, he's going to be 28 years old next month. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

As a gauge here remember that Calgary gave up a first round pick and two second rounders for each of hamonic and Hamilton. 

2020 first plus Jake is probably in that ballpark for a dman that can put up 50 plus points. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ninja321 said:

Isn't the next draft supposed to be extremely deep? I'd be hesitant to do this deal unless the first rounder was protected of some sort.

Who cares. The Canucks need to start taking chances at improving the club in the immediate. Can’t pen on having every single piece of your core being 1st round picks. Benning knows if he doesn’t do something big the Canucks are going to flounder yet again and I donno about you guys but I’m sick and tired of losing and want to see some god damn Canucks playoff hockey again. Getting a 60 point top pairing D is a good start.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trevorbureburrows said:

What about something like horvat + 1st for Barrie and 4th OA if Turcotte is available? 

There is just no way we should trade Horvat for Barrie unless there is a severe overpayment for Horvat and his excellent contract.

Benning better not do it unless Colorado is gonna do something stupid like barrie, the 4th overall, and jost for horvat. Even then I would be totally pissed at getting rid of Horvat but that would be a hell of a haul.

9 hours ago, Grape said:

I feel that if the Avs' need is for second-line scoring, then the Canucks will not have enough to win any bidding war on Tyson Barrie who played awesome during the playoffs: 

• Toronto:
    • If Toronto doesn't think they can sign Marner, would they do: Marner for Barrie and the 4th overall pick? The Avs would have enough cap space to sign both Mikko and Marner.
    • Kapanen and some cap dump and first round pick
  • Edmonton: RNH
  • Knights: Pacioretty or Statstny (they need to clear some cap space)
  • Sabres: have a lot of forwards
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Who cares. The Canucks need to start taking chances at improving the club in the immediate. Can’t pen on having every single piece of your core being 1st round picks. Benning knows if he doesn’t do something big the Canucks are going to flounder yet again and I donno about you guys but I’m sick and tired of losing and want to see some god damn Canucks playoff hockey again. Getting a 60 point top pairing D is a good start.

This exactly. As much as I love Jake I’d move him in a package for a guy like Barrie every single time.  And who knows maybe MacEwen can be his replacement if he continues on his current path. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

I like it. Be nice if it was a conditional first though. Some lottery protection would be perfect. 

Barrie would sign an extension quickly.

This would take some workload away from Edler where Edler can perform better with less minutes. Hughes would also benefit from being around an established good defenceman. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nah. We're just talking about giving up a bunch of valuable stuff for a player that could walk after the season ends. Why be nervous?

Give it a rest. You don’t think a guy from Victoria who spends his summers in BC wouldn’t want to resign and play for the Canucks? 

From Ben Kumza on twitter replying to the Virtanen and 2020 first for Barrie

If Avs land Byram with No.4 pick, move makes sense with Makar, Girard on solid back end. One way for Benning to acquire right-shot D without having to overpay in free agency. Preached patience with Virtanen and said it would have to be a “good deal” to move winger. #Canucks

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

If true, they must see Shotgun's potential as a top 6 in their lineup because he has not been with us. Love the kid, but maybe getting away from home would be good for him and Barrie coming home can have a similar impact. Anyone know if Barrie likes going to the Roxy? If so, than I am out lol. 

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
spelling
  • Like 1