The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Finally got the skinny .....

After Larianov told him he had to be the team's defensive conscience, he googled "defensive forward", and watched endless hours of tape, then modelled his game after Eriksson.

Following the shutout against the Czechs, Iggy said "You know, Petey is pretty good defensively as well", so a few hours of videos later, voila.  Last nights game!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

24 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

this is a bit funny. If Podz was a Leafs prospect they'd be drooling. It must pain TSN to have to admit he's a good player. 

• Wat 1

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Does +/- 1 inch really matter?

youtube what GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Well, it mattered to Hedwig:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (musical) - Wikipedia

However, the operation is botched, and Hansel's surgically constructed vagina heals closed, leaving Hedwig with a dysfunctional one-inch mound of flesh between her legs, "with a scar running down it like a sideways grimace on an eyeless face" ("Angry Inch").

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:
Well, it mattered to Hedwig:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (musical) - Wikipedia

However, the operation is botched, and Hansel's surgically constructed vagina heals closed, leaving Hedwig with a dysfunctional one-inch mound of flesh between her legs, "with a scar running down it like a sideways grimace on an eyeless face" ("Angry Inch").

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

Podz led the team last night. He easily could have had a 6 point night. As much as I want Podz to do well I do want Canada to win Gold. To date it is the Russian team that scares me the most. They are big and when they want to fly they can. I have watched all their games to date but only 1 USA game. The USA and Sweden are always a threat but I would put money on Russia to face Canada in the final. 

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think people have too high of expectations for Podz.  He won't be a top 6 forward this year or the next.  I see him on a similar path as Bo and Bo was not a top six forward right away.  He was on the 4th and the 3rd lines.  Expect him to develop with maybe 10 to 12 goals for his first couple seasons.  I like Podz and think he is a great prospect for us.  I just don't see him having the start that Pete and Quinn.

I’m not so sure that their expectations are too, just the wrong expectations for the kind of payer he is. There is no law that says that every player on a top six line has to be a big scorer. One player on a line can have a different role  - be the defensive conscience of the line. This was the job of Podkolzin’s junior world’s coach - Kruton and Makarov were the scorers on his line - he was the defensive conscience and set up man. Lemaire had this role with Shutt and Lefleur - Morrison with Nasund and Bertuzzi, and so on. In the days of Soviet powerhouse teams - the players were built from breaking down film of Bobby Orr, but after Orr had retired, and the Canadian teams featured Lafleur, Perrault, Clark Esposito, and the like - he called a Bob Gainey the greatest player of his day. Left winger, Gainey, effectively throttled the best Russian players. 

Tiny Larionov throttled the huge, enormously talented, Eric Lindros in the Stanley Cup final and Detroit took the trophy. 

If Podkolzin can bring something of the like to the arguably defensively challenged Canucks, surely that could be welcomed, and surely that could make a top line more effective - as many noted scouts have stated - he could be the player that good players want to play with. Time, coaching and development will tell. But here, of course, everyone will speculate, and that is just fine, it is part of why this venue exists. I just hope our prospects ignore it, because if they take it seriously they will see themselves as something they are not entirely, and that would be a shame. Unrealistic expectations may have destroyed many a promising player, I’d hate that to happen to any of ours.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m not so sure that their expectations are too, just the wrong expectations for the kind of payer he is. There is no law that says that every player on a top six line has to be a big scorer. One player on a line can have a different role  - be the defensive conscience of the line. This was the job of Podkolzin’s junior world’s coach - Kruton and Makarov were the scorers on his line - he was the defensive conscience and set up man. Lemaire had this role with Shutt and Lefleur - Morrison with Nasund and Bertuzzi, and so on. In the days of Soviet powerhouse teams - the players were built from breaking down film of Bobby Orr, but after Orr had retired, and the Canadian teams featured Lafleur, Perrault, Clark Esposito, and the like - he called a Bob Gainey the greatest player of his day. Left winger, Gainey, effectively throttled the best Russian players. 

Tiny Larionov throttled the huge, enormously talented, Eric Lindros in the Stanley Cup final and Detroit took the trophy. 

If Podkolzin can bring something of the like to the arguably defensively challenged Canucks, surely that could be welcomed, and surely that could make a top line more effective - as many noted scouts have stated - he could be the player that good players want to play with. Time, coaching and development will tell. But here, of course, everyone will speculate, and that is just fine, it is part of why this venue exists. I just hope our prospects ignore it, because if they take it seriously they will see themselves as something they are not entirely, and that would be a shame. Unrealistic expectations may have destroyed many a promising player, I’d hate that to happen to any of ours.

If Podkolzyn turns into a consistent heavy player he'll do well, because that is one of the teams needs. Scoring two goals against Austria only tells us he'd do well in the Austrian Junior league

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So you obviously didn't watch the game if that's all you know about his performance.

Here's the simple answer:  I suggest you do (watch).  He was a force out there....player of the game wasn't just based on the points.  He did a whole lot of good stuff out there.

It proves only one thing. He's well suited to the Austrian.... Austrian ... junior league, sorry :)