The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Just now, Dazzle said:

Honestly, I'm glad we didn't do the Subban trade. He doesn't fit our age range - even though we need defenceman. Hell, at this point, I'd rather sign Phaneuf/Schenn for cheap (he got bought out by LA) as depth and figure out who else they could sign as a UFA. As you said, it 'only' costs cash.

yeah maybe Subban isn't the best choice but two 2nd and whatever prospects is a easy deal.  The 9 million isnt a big deal either right now. The powerplay would have substantially improved.  The ability to get the puck up the ice would've as well.  The forwards will be better if the D can get the damn puck out.  

2 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

I’m being ridiculous? Tell me how his playoff stats are?

Yes you are. I see why, it's because you can't read, so you need someone to read his stats for you. I'll read them for you. His playoff stats are slightly less than his regular season stats, which is completely normal.

He had one somewhat unproductive year in the playoffs, producing only a quarter-point per game a couple of years ago, but the other 5 years he was in the playoffs, he consistently produced about half a point per game, only marginally less than his regular season career average of 0.54/game.

What is your point? Are you trying to pretend that he is an Ehlers/Nylander type player who only produces in the regular season but not in the playoffs? Because that is absolutely false.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just to be clear of the context, I’ve linked all these posts of ours so we understand each other. 

As per THN’s Draft Preview, which I can’t post of course, are their lists of late-round gems. 

They take all teams and compare all picks made after the second round since 2000 to play a minimum of 100 NHL games. 

There is is no comparison, as was my point about Tampa, which wasn’t to necessarily compare against the Canucks either, not at all actually.

Tampa is 4th most productive at 4th, with 122 picks and and 20 players.

Vancouver is ranked 29th with 98 picks and a merger 7 players. 

Considering both teams teams have gone through the boom and bust roster phases during that time period (2000-now) I’d say that, 1st rounders and high seconds are cancelled out, leaving the rest. 

As to your point about hitting on the 1st or 2nd OA picks, I don’t disagree. Who would?

It’s not like the Canucks’ string of top 7 picks isn’t also up there in ways to diminish the drafting prowess of teams who routinely pick that high. As an aside to this, I think those two teams cancel out with such 1st round luxury and thus the significance of the importance, and the point of comparing, the results later picks.

Not much to compare. 4th place to 29th. 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tampa has had great success in the aspect of drafting. 

These picks will most likely produce further examples of what has made them such a deep, talented team, with a consistently and relatively full pipeline, to boot. 

That franchise deserves what ever successes they get. They didn’t take any shortcuts. 

According to the numbers you have stated above, Tampa drafts just over one player per year who plays at least 100 NHL games. And 20 players from 122 picks is a success rate of less than one in six.

And in your mind, a less than one in six chance of getting a player means "these picks will most likely produce". Math is not your strong point is it?

By the way, I am sure that nobody noticed you as usual taking the opportunity to put down the Canucks, even though it is rather silly and irrelevant to the current conversation to whine about the Canucks drafting under previous, much weaker drafting regimes when they were a strong, late drafting team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Pearson, Miller and Goldy are going to be competing against each other, clearly, for top six spots. It also allows flexibility for the team to switch people around when they're having a bad game. Furthermore, Goldy's on a cheap contract. They need him to produce because they'll need all the cap space possible for Boeser and (later Petterson's) salary increases.

you forgot about Baer.

• Upvote 1

I am okay with the Miller trade just turning 26 yrs old, 6'1, 218 has talent and plays a complete game and can play all 3 forward position..

Guy can PK - PP and will bring more character to dressing room..

Know we had to give up a first rounder and 3rd rounder.... 

He has good contract 4yrs x 5.2 million , 26,  playing in top 6 here I feel his complete game he should be a GP 80 - G 23 --Pts ( 58 -- 62)

We are not finish trading yet and we will get draft picks back in other deals...Example: Who knows in 1.5 yrs we could be ready to trade Markstrom if Demko is ready for #1 duty.. We will get picks back and will be fine.. If Markstrom has another strong season his stock will be high..

I have faith that Juolevi 6'3, 21,will shock people and play a #4 role by season end... This young man has all the talent just bad luck with injuries the past 2 yrs..

Be patient will be more trades and a very good UFA signing soon..

I would like to see Jordie Benn fill D position here for 2 yrs ? He has a nasty side, 6'2, 215...

I think Myers or Gardnier will land here in Vancouver? Term might  be 6 yrs 6.5 million? 

Going to be exciting over next 2-3 weeks..

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

Granny is just do versatile.......I think they let Goldy walk and keep Granny and then move him in a deal at some point this season.

You could be right. I found myself thinking how do we just let Granlund walk? He's one of the better bottom 6 forwards we've had over the last few years. But then I realize how bad we've been over that time and that upgrades are needed at nearly every position. Plus we have a guy like MacEwen in the minors knocking on the door. So, do we really have space for Granlund? It's a numbers game and although he's a versitile player, the reality is he's replaceable and fairly easily at that. 

The reason I qualify Goldobin is because of his ceiling. If by chance he does pan out, that slides someone further down our lineup, strengthening our bottom 6 as well. 

I have seen some comments on Benning retrieving some picks from extra forwards.  I also hope he can but I am doubtful.  What kind of value do we think these players might bring .

Motte      -     ?

Schaller  - ?

Goldy  -  ?

Granlund -   ? 

Spooner -   ?

I will assume that LE can't be moved and will play the year or 3.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I have seen some comments on Benning retrieving some picks from extra forwards.  I also hope he can but I am doubtful.  What kind of value do we think these players might bring .

Motte      -     ?

Schaller  - ?

Goldy  -  ?

Granlund -   ? 

Spooner -   ?

I will assume that LE can't be moved and will play the year or 3.

I think we probably keep Motte as he has been good on the 4th line and is one of the only guys that hits. As for the others:

Motte      -     keep

Schaller  -  future considerations

Goldy  -  5th

Granlund -   3rd 

Spooner -   4th

I could be way off lol. 

Edit; after Loui's bonus is paid July 1st maybe you could move him to a cap floor team for a 7th.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1