The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think Loui is going anywhere but Uitca, unfortunately. 

ANYONE can be traded, and Loui will be moved somehow somewhere.  We might not recoup his full cap, but won't be giving up a 1st round pick either.  He can still play and contribute somewhere, someone will take him on.

Freeing up at least some of his salary makes a Miller or Nyquist a minimal increase in cap usage.  Then we bring in Myers at a (hopefully) reasonable amount and a cheaper stopgap on D and we're set.  Btw, that they are purportedly interested in Nyquist tells me that the end may be near for Baertschi, or at least getting top-6 insurance.  In that case, we're only looking at a $2-3mil difference as well. 

Worst-case, Baertschi and Sutter are both off the books in 2 years when we have to re-up Petey and Hughes.  We clean Spooner out this year, either in Utica or if someone picks him up.  The first one might even be preferable to help the farm team.

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya my bad Sutter is off as well, but Sven and Pearson are on relitively good contracts and Edler will have to be replaced.  

I agree with this. I'm sure they'll end up re-signing Edler to another 1 or 2 year contract if he still wants to play though, but at a lower cap hit.

I think re-signing Sven and Pearson will depend on how they play the next 2 years and if some of our younger players end up stepping up. Also it will depend on if Sven can stay healthy. 

The cap should go up more during this time, so I don't see us having too much of a problem with re-signing anyone that we need to. Loui will only have 1 year left on his contract if he's still here by then and it will be a lot easier to move him. That being said, I'd be very surprised if he's still here within the next 2 years.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

You missed: Sutter, Pearson, Baer, Edler, Tanev 

Was just referring to bottom six forwards with large salaries, we currently only have less than 16 million allocated to Defense and about 5 million to goalies which will have to change soon.  

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

ANYONE can be traded, and Loui will be moved somehow somewhere.  We might not recoup his full cap, but won't be giving up a 1st round pick either.  He can still play and contribute somewhere, someone will take him on.

Freeing up at least some of his salary makes a Miller or Nyquist a minimal increase in cap usage.  Then we bring in Myers at a (hopefully) reasonable amount and a cheaper stopgap on D and we're set.  Btw, that they are purportedly interested in Nyquist tells me that the end may be near for Baertschi, or at least getting top-6 insurance.  In that case, we're only looking at a $2-3mil difference as well. 

Worst-case, Baertschi and Sutter are both off the books in 2 years when we have to re-up Petey and Hughes.  We clean Spooner out this year, either in Utica or if someone picks him up.  The first one might even be preferable to help the farm team.

Loui is awful and plays with 0 intensity or effort. He's signed to a terrible contract for 3 more seasons. The Leafs had to give up a 1st to get rid of 1 year of Marleau, and he's at least a positive/leader in the dressing room and is only one season removed from scoring 27 goals. By comparison Loui has 32 in his previous 3 seasons with Vancouver. 

If you think you're not having to give up a 1st, or a really good prospect to get Loui off the books I think you're in for a rude awakening. 

8 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

I agree with this. I'm sure they'll end up re-signing Edler to another 1 or 2 year contract if he still wants to play though, but at a lower cap hit.

I think re-signing Sven and Pearson will depend on how they play the next 2 years and if some of our younger players end up stepping up. Also it will depend on if Sven can stay healthy. 

The cap should go up more during this time, so I don't see us having too much of a problem with re-signing anyone that we need to. Loui will only have 1 year left on his contract if he's still here by then and it will be a lot easier to move him. That being said, I'd be very surprised if he's still here within the next 2 years.

I would prefer to just do one Dman signing this year and maybe add another one next year based on further evaluation of the team. Not a big fan of building too much of a team through FA, as players usually get about 30% more money than their actually worth to a team based on performance.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Was just referring to bottom six forwards with large salaries, we currently only have less than 16 million allocated to Defense and about 5 million to goalies which will have to change soon.  

It's already changing. Natural cycle of the evolving rebuild. Kids on ELC's with 'expensive' vets to support them will give way to kids on more expensive second contracts as those vet contracts expire.

This trade looks really good, especially considering the cap cost.  Signing him today would cost another 2 million per year.  Luongo's recapture penalty is going to be about the same cost.  (3 million minus 800,000 thousand) 

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

Loui is awful and plays with 0 intensity or effort. He's signed to a terrible contract for 3 more seasons. The Leafs had to give up a 1st to get rid of 1 year of Marleau, and he's at least a positive/leader in the dressing room and is only one season removed from scoring 27 goals. By comparison Loui has 32 in his previous 3 seasons with Vancouver. 

If you think you're not having to give up a 1st, or a really good prospect to get Loui off the books I think you're in for a rude awakening. 

Leafs gave up a 1st to the canes for them to pay 4.25 million dollars for 0 seasons of play. If Marleau was willing to play for whatever team aquired him he wouldn't have such a negative value.

The team who aquires loui will pay 9 million dollars for 3 seasons of play.

Big difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Leafs gave up a 1st to the canes for them to pay 4.25 million dollars for 0 seasons of play. If Marleau was willing to play for whatever team aquired him he wouldn't have such a negative value.

The team who aquires loui will pay 9 million dollars for 3 seasons of play.

Big difference.

Also a big difference is that the Leafs have three important RFA's (Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson) to sign with liitle cap space; perhaps this is the reason for there sense of urgency and for adding the 1st as well.   Marleaus' cap hit and a 1st to sign Kapanen and Johnsson was probably the trade off they were willing to do....

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Also a big difference is that the Leafs have three important RFA's (Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson) to sign with liitle cap space; perhaps this is the reason for there sense of urgency and for adding the 1st as well.   Marleaus' cap hit and a 1st to sign Kapanen and Johnsson was probably the trade off they were willing to do....

That doesn't mean that some team is going to bend and take Loui on for nothing. Especially with the cap situation around the league, these awful contracts are toxic. 

If you're getting rid of Loui you're either taking an equally bad contract back or you're giving up significant draft pick or prospect capital. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sure, where?

Pearson-Horvat-

Miller-EP-BB

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Smith-Beagle-Motte

Baertschi-Spooner-Schaller-Leivo-Goldobin

Top line wing would be fought out with one of those guys (except Schaller hopefully) and even Virtanen would be in that race. Roussel is rumoured to be out at least a month which buys another winger some time and who knows what's going on with Sutter currently (but despite Smith being listed as a winger, he took over 800 draws last year, only 49%, but can also fill a center role as insurance if needed). We can carry two extra forwards for now and one extra dman. Odd one out is waived.

This of course is with the current lineup with that one trade. Can't predict what else could happen just yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Some "fans" take pleasure in anything negative affecting the team.  Typically if it's a result of current management but no matter, fault of a previous regime amuses them almost as much.

Schadenfreude, its all down to schadenfreude.

Edited by zimmy

3 hours ago, stawns said:

why?

Because that poster and his fellow bridge dwellers take delight in cackling gleefully over anything bad that happens to the Canucks. It is mandatory from anyone wanting to be a member of the "realistic fan" club. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1