The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I like ray and his stories. Have a lot of respect for him. His opinions on today's NHL are somewhat laughable at times though. I remember heading into the 2016 trade deadline he was on the radio talking about Hamhuis to Dallas. Someone asked if we could trade Hamhuis and a pick to get Nichushkin. Ray laughed and said it would take at least Bo Horvat and the Canucks first (lottery pick) and even then Dallas would say no. Went on about how great of a player Nichushkin is. Since that summer Nichushkin has 10 nhl points. Just because you are a good player doesnt make you a good manager.

Very interesting anecdote that is probably impossible to prove/disprove. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

I was talking about your story about what Ray apparently said on the radio in 2016..

I remember it like it was yesterday. I knew clear as day that Bo was the better player and was shocked and angered that ray would say that. But if you dont believe me than I won't shed a tear.

2 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Never understood this mentality from fans tbh. Its one thing to be concerned that things have a habit of turning out worst case for the Canucks, but to be so determined to be right that you cheer it on is just brutal.

Yup. It's pathetic and it's only a reflection of that individual. 

My message to all fans that are like that, go to the librabry and rent the book "the secret" 

All this negativity is the reason we don't have multiple cups. 

Edit: not to mention the harm those people do themselves by spitting out such negative thoughts... Your brain will only multiply those negative thoughts and infuse toxicity into the rest of your life 

Edited by apollo

4 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

That doesn't mean that some team is going to bend and take Loui on for nothing. Especially with the cap situation around the league, these awful contracts are toxic. 

If you're getting rid of Loui you're either taking an equally bad contract back or you're giving up significant draft pick or prospect capital. 

My point has nothing really do to with LE; only that Toronto did what they did because of the cap space needed to sign the three RFA's

Cap space and term are only part of the toxicity of some of these contracts. Thepresence of a ntc/nmc and structuring them to be buyout proof are the dangers that lurk under the water and really affect options to rid yourself of the contract down the road. 

I would much rather overpay on cap hit to keep the term and the clauses/structure of any deal in check. 

Take a look at this scenario:  Three of four people on a spreadsheet, filled with data about all the contracts, all future salaries, data on player availability, input from a very good scouting team, potential look at who may be available in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and their jobs on the line!  They have 8, 10 hours a day to analyze, get in touch with GM's, decide what strategies will work. They do this full time!  They aren't some armchair GM who works 8 hours a day at a job, comes home, talks to the kids, helps them with their homework, puts them to bed, talks to his spouse, and then goes on to internet and makes huge decisions, thinking about it for 15 minutes.  Who is going to make the right decisions?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I just dont really understand the need to evaluate any professional sports franchise on something over 20 years.  Too many variables.  Everything gets reflected into the context of now, so you can't blame me for assuming the anti-Jim bias; but as you said lets drop that...

The data that this author posted is awful and I stand by that.  It only takes into account home runs.  Walks, Singles and Doubles are meaningless in this data as they are not represented.  Home Runs are a lot easier to hit in the top 10 picks.  Vancouver's rating on these rankings is almost directly correlated to their league position as it is for most teams.  Boston and Winnipeg are far more impressive as they have had better teams over the last 4 seasons.  Tampa has super charged their team primarily by being terrible for stretches. 

That all being said, I believe Mike Gills was a very solid GM for his role with the franchise at the time.  I liked that he traded picks and prospects to acquire solid veteran players for playoff runs.  He made a lot of good acquisitions.    The value of a late 1st round pick or even a 2nd round pick isn't very high as far as expected performance.

If you showed the exact same table adjusted for expectations (either games player or total points) by draft position then we can have a substantial conversation about competency when it comes to drafting.  Drafting is predominantly a crap shoot because of the age of the players.  If they were 21 instead of 18 then the value of draft picks would go through the roof, but there are far too many variables with the different leagues (CHL, SHL, KHL, USHL) and the 18 year old 150 pound bodies.

Drafting success is largely perception.  Optically it looks amazing to draft Kucherov in the 2nd round.  Now you are king of the draft.  Do realize this also means the team that drafted him passed up on him once.  They never expected him to be MVP caliber.  There is a fair bit of fortune in that.  I think they drafted Namestikov ahead of him.  A direct comparable.  In their own minds they thought he was going to be a better player than Kucherov. 

I think development of young players is far more valuable and drafting ability.  There is always room to improve there.

Lastly, the worse the Canucks perform over the next 5-10 years the better they will look in these standings.  There is a reason Edmonton, Colorado and the New York Islanders are up there.  So you are essentially saying that the Canucks will be a better team in the future, good to hear!

I am curious what JB will do for the D. 

All I can say is that LS better be chained to QH, maybe an elastic one because Quinn can really fly. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am curious what JB will do for the D. 

All I can say is that LS better be chained to QH, maybe an elastic one because Quinn can really fly. 

You gave me a weird image of LS walking a dog and trying to keep up.

Yeah... I don't know why I thought that either....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

Take a look at this scenario:  Three of four people on a spreadsheet, filled with data about all the contracts, all future salaries, data on player availability, input from a very good scouting team, potential look at who may be available in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and their jobs on the line!  They have 8, 10 hours a day to analyze, get in touch with GM's, decide what strategies will work. They do this full time!  They aren't some armchair GM who works 8 hours a day at a job, comes home, talks to the kids, helps them with their homework, puts them to bed, talks to his spouse, and then goes on to internet and makes huge decisions, thinking about it for 15 minutes.  Who is going to make the right decisions?

These three or four people that you speak of...were they the ones that pulled the trigger on the LE signing?

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Some "fans" take pleasure in anything negative affecting the team.  Typically if it's a result of current management but no matter, fault of a previous regime amuses them almost as much.

How is being so overly negative being a fan though!  It’s kind of like they’re not fans, or fans of other teams, isn’t it?

its okay to be critical, but when things are clearly going well (proving your critique wrong) then shouldn’t a fan be happy they were wrong, and celebrate their team?  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How is being so overly negative being a fan though!  It’s kind of like they’re not fans, or fans of other teams, isn’t it?

its okay to be critical, but when things are clearly going well (proving your critique wrong) then shouldn’t a fan be happy they were wrong, and celebrate their team?  

How exactly do you see our club going well.....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How exactly do you see our club going well.....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

You know you can’t use the “worst team over the last four years” card forever right?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2