The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Seems fair... not a decisive win the the canucks but trades rarely are.  For obvious reason.  People are over valuing 1st round picks.  I would take JT Miller over virtanen or Juolevi.  And I doubt our 1st ends up that high

• Upvote 1

Not mad at the trade, but think its a trade you make when you are a lot closer to being competitive.  Two years down the road I make a trade like this... This year I don't see us being a world beating team that needs to be pushed over the top. 

There are players out there that can be pried out for less from cap strapped teams.  Until we are making the play-offs consistently, First round picks should have been untouchable. 

• Upvote 1

The conservation principle is in full effect. So there is a need for a balanced temperament here.

So will be cheering net year for that prized first over all lottery pick after 50 years.

Who is next years prized prospect generational player on radar now?

this player will make them better.

they might have a plan to try and recoup that first rounder with a trade to get something in the late first round next year.

Its a steep price IMHO, they are betting big on this Miller guy.

Realistically this is a hindsight trade, it all depends how things shake out and if were able to gain any picks back for players we have,

just looks really bad giving up a first. This is a team striving to improve from bad to a mediocre team. If we were trying to get mediocre to good, I’d be all on board... but we are still a bad team. 

Edited by Laoag
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

Damn, you’re knee-pads must be crazy strong.

Enough with the homerism and blind thumbs up. We bitch and moan about irrational moves. It’s nice to make logical moves every now and then. 

Like I said, let’s trade our 2022 for Zucker & 2023 1st for Barrie...and if I hear any complaining from you OR anyone, you’re idiot haters. Am I doing this right?

Umm this is why you make canuck fans look bad .. you complain when JB not makin a move then once JB makes a move yall bitch and moan and complain like damn man this is hilarious 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Nobody want them. 

Knowing Benning likely to pay to get rid of them. 

Bradon softer the foundational wonder that throws his team mates under the bus making 4.25 as a average 3rd liner.

eriksdone is a disaster and also a 3rd liner. 

Im sure teams 

Teams need to meet the cap floor.

And if all else fails, there's always the potential of a buyout.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

I'm not really a Benning fan, but by the reactions in this thread you'd think he personally massacred everyone's dogs and cats. 

Its because people care. People have wanted a proper rebuild since 2013. And this organization always cuts corners.

Just feels hopeless that we'll get back to top contender status.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Miller > Pearson > Leivo > Spooner.

I really like Benning's process for picking up similar type position players, and making a log jam. This is going to help the team long term.

Maybe 2 of those players are NHlers on a good team.

Before you say we’re not a good team, too late now we have to be 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does it really need to be explained why us trading away a first round pick is a bad idea?

Benning supporters defend him no matter what. He could trade Boeser for Jason Zucker & they'd find a way to spin it. 

Its almost as exhausting as giving up 1st for Miller, 2nd+prospects for Gudbranson, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Vey, exc. exc. exc.

Ugh :bored:

You seem to be under the impression that if we always kept our full stock of picks we'd somehow be better.

In reality moat teams build contenders through many different avenues including trading first round picks. You're unlikely to get anywhere simply sitting on picks and never making trades to improve your team.