The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

On 7/5/2019 at 8:04 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

But we only gain 1M cap relief so instead of 6M for LE get 5M for no one!

Yeah I know getting only a million really sucks, but we still need to find money to sign Boeser.   The good news is we can trade him now where before it would have been impossible.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Yeah I know getting only a million really sucks, but we still need to find money to sign Boeser.   The good news is we can trade him now where before it would have been impossible.  

You trade Eriksson and retain 3M so he doesn't have a negative value. At 3M Eriksson isn't a problem.

• Upvote 1

Idk if it’s just me but Myers is giving me a lot of Jason Garrison feelings. 

2nd pair dman barely (#4 dman), overpaid, & doesn’t at all look like it will be a contract that will run it’s full course. 

...hoping Myers can play some great hockey to make that price tag worthwhile. Don’t hate the player, that’s anyone’s dream to make as much bank possible. Blame the guy who handed the AAV. Technically I guess it wasn’t terrible for free agent market standards but nonetheless it is a sure overpayment for someone getting paid that much when he’s just able to hang in there to fill in a 2nd pair spot.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • Upvote 2

On 7/12/2019 at 2:50 AM, Generational.EP40 said:

2nd pair dman barely (#4 dman), overpaid, & doesn’t at all look like it will be a contract that will run it’s full course. 

...hoping Myers can play some great hockey to make that price tag worthwhile. Don’t hate the player, that’s anyone’s dream to make as much bank possible. Blame the guy who handed the AAV. Technically I guess it wasn’t terrible for free agent market standards but nonetheless it is a sure overpayment for someone getting paid that much when he’s just able to hang in there to fill in a 2nd pair spot.

Not alike in any way on the ice.  Garrison lacked mobility and Myers is very mobile.  

On 7/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

I completely agree.  I don't think he was a good target, way better to wait a year and try to sign Barrie.  

• Wat 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

I feel far more confident with Myers than with Garrison. When we signed Garrison, he had only 1 good season under his belt and that's when he was around 27-28 years old. Myers has been in the league a long time, with numerous (fairly) productive season's under his belt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I feel far more confident with Myers than with Garrison. When we signed Garrison, he had only 1 good season under his belt and that's when he was around 27-28 years old. Myers has been in the league a long time, with numerous (fairly) productive season's under his belt. 

And Myers can skate.  Garrison couldn’t.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I met Myers last Summer. Said I'd get him a beer if he comes to Vancouver. He shook my hand and said 'deal'. Now I gotta buy a rich guy a beer... 

Can you meet Tyson Barrie this summer? Should've looked for Panarin last summer!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 1:50 AM, Generational.EP40 said:

Let me guess given your handle your one of the guys that thinks Hughes will take over and be a number One defenseman by Christmas and score over 50 points because he’s really really good at skating.   Maybe that’s a tad harsh but let’s be serious for a minute - pre July 1. many experts had Myers at going for north of 7 million- why?  Because he’s a blue chip top four RHD with some upside that’s suggest he can handle the top pairing.

I’ve followed his career close enough to understand what’s happened with him year to year (had him in my pool three times including last year, only once has he let me down)  .... he started with a bang and experts  pencilled him in as a future Norris winner even more then people did with Ekblad - the difference is Myers career was de-railed with injuries and then he was buried in WNP.    ANY defenseman that can approach or get more then 30 points 5 x 5 can produce well, he’s done that several times and has the best point shot on our team now.  (As an aside who here knows which recent  defenseman we had that led the league in even strength points one year and also didn’t get enough time on the PP - even when it became stale and predictable?). 

Don’t get the Garrison remark at all, very different players.   He’s playing infront of his home province and has every reason to want to earn his contract and excel and is probably stoked to finally get some regular PP time, especially behind the group we’ve got.  If you think Edler is the bomb then so should you with Myers - the two are similar in that they ideally would be second pairing, however they do enough of everything well to get by playing the top spot.   I’m not saying he’s going to be amazing - but I’d definitely don’t think he will disappoint either.  35 and a plus 10 or higher on the low end, 50 and a plus 20 on the high end.  He’s got just as good a chance in leading our defenseman in scoring as Edler or Hughes the next two years.  In fact I’d go on record now saying he will lead next season if TG puts him on the first unit PP before November is over.  Even if he’s on the second he still has a chance.

He scores 50% more with his shot then Edler does, because he hammers it and it hits the net - imagine that.  And he can pass and he can kill penalties and run a PP - in his prime for a very fair at least deal.    JB did well with both Edler and Myers it’s pretty well documented - if you have worries I’d suggest doing some research.   Start with watching (re-watching) the comments Burke made when the deal was announced in real time.  Then watch some video.  

On 7/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Myers is fast skating, shut down D who have has a wing span to cover the Bubbles people.  He also likes to join the rush. The Canucks will have TWO offensive D's this year.  Who was the last Canuck offensive D?  Christian Ehrhoff?  

Jovanovski.  Before that Brown, Lumme, Lidster one year and Reinhardt.  Really we’ve never had a real one.  Very high hopes Hughes is the first.   We didn’t pick him to clear the net, hit guys, take pucks off his shins and pin 220lb forwards to the boards.    I’m expecting that within two or three seasons he becomes an all-star and gets his name in the Canuck record book...with the guys we can ice now and given their age  Hughes is going to be a real treat to watch which is a real bonus.

Reinhardt is in a completely different class than any defence man who ever played for this team strictly from an offensive perspective. Check out the personnel of the teams he played on and look what he accomplished. Also was a force in that 89 playoff series against his old team Calgary.

• Cheers 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, The King of Kings said:

That would have freed up 6-mil per year.

It could help the current RFA situation.

So would trading the rights to both Pettersson and Hughes.

But that is blasphemy.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1