The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Andrej Sekera

52 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id actually sign this guy on the cheap for 1 year. Has had injury problems recently but is a good player when healthy. We could use him short term until Juolevi is up to speed and ready for top 6 minutes.

Edler

Hughes

Sekera- trade at deadline. Bring in Juolevi, Teves or Brisebois.

Definitely. He’s kinda trash at $5.5 million AAV, but on a cheap, short term deal, he’s more than capable of providing some good value. 

Even with his injury struggles the last couple years, Sekera has still provided net positive impacts (even while basically playing on one leg), whether you look at WAR/GAR, shot share metrics (relative to teammates), scoring chances differentials, etc. His offensive numbers have certainly declined, but he still provides solid suppression stats (events against rates), relative the his teammates, and he does a very good job on some key defensive microstats, like denying possession entries, and creating possession exits.

8F289F36-DE74-4C75-B4FB-ED6A332FA0F9.jpeg.57a0bcfe9f23d9ccdb0407351520352e.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Not sure what the 'Coil are doing here.  Sekera when healthy was in their top-4, is solid defensively and can move the puck.  He came back from injury and was one of their best, according to my Oiler-fan cousins.  Now they have to go out and get a replacement, presumably for less?  But that's a saw-off as the buyout hits their cap.  Would seem that Holland did not bring along a water filtration system.

And yes, of all the buyouts and waiver refuse THIS is a guy we should look at.  RHS, puck-mover, mobile, solid D, get him for a couple mil for our 3rd pairing behind Myers and Stecher.  He can put up points, but health is the key -- we don't need any more 50-60 game D on the roster.  He's 33, so give him a 2x2 and we're good to go until Woo or others arrive.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

on a cheap deal he could be a solid hutton/pouliot replacement on the bottom pair but injuries are a concern as you point out @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Yeah, I honestly haven’t tracked his injury status too closely. But there was a fair amount of talk about his career being done after the Achilles injury (after an ACL the year before), and he still managed to come back. Apparently he’s fully recovered and healthy. Tough for any player to jump back into a lineup mid season, after a serious injury, long rehab, and that much time off the ice. Oilers fans say he looked good in his return, brought a stabilizing presence in the lineup, and seemed to help Matt Benning stay above water when they were paired together. With a summer of training, a full training camp, and starting the next season healthy, who knows? Maybe he gets back to the player he was a few years back.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

Another consideration for Canucks pending:

1) He is medically fit

2) He signs for 2M or less

Canucks need to add at least 2 defencemen.

At one time this guy was close to 50 points. He could be worth the low risk on a low dollar contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I'd sign this guy on a 1 year deal. I'm kind of shocked Edm dropped him. 

Solid player if he stays healthy, but that's a big "if" now.

Definitely worth a cheap contract if he's willing.

Some team will get good value on a 1 year deal for a veteran 3rd pairing guy who has the wheels to play the modern game.

He would definitely be an upgrade on Hutton, and a placeholder for Juolevi... by we need someone more physical for that roster spot.