The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You've got to wonder if just the act of a GM trying to poach a player with an offer sheet opens the door to more of this happening going forward. It's been considered taboo for years but there's been more chatter about it the last year in regards to how GM's and teams have to do everything they can to be competitive. 

As I said before, it’s actually more Machivalian (sp?) than that.  Habs didn’t give a huge offer sheet as their (my opinion) main goal is to take out one of their competition by forcing them to match such a heavily front end / bonus laden deal.  Other team isn’t a cap floor team but still a team that due to smaller revenues will have a tough time managing budget when they match.  Habs win no matter what.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Fake news 

I don't care who the source is no freaking way any team offer sheets Aho and they don't know it gets matched.   

Nonsense from supposed insider. 

No one who knows hockey believes this nonsense click bait fake news. 

:huh:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Fake news 

I don't care who the source is no freaking way any team offer sheets Aho and they don't know it gets matched.   

Nonsense from supposed insider. 

No one who knows hockey believes this nonsense click bait fake news. 

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, inane said:

:bigblush:

Did CAR anounce they won't match?

Bergevin was on tv saying these always get matched...he knows car will match.

It's thinking ahead. Aho wants to play in MTL. In 5 yrs he'll be UFA at 26 yrs old and sign with habs

Edited by WHL rocks

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Did CAR anounce they won't match?

Bergevin was on tv saying these always get matched...he knows car will match.

It's thinking ahead. Aho wants to play in MTL. In 5 yrs he'll be UFA at 26 yrs old and sign with habs

Most of these do get signed, Nashville also matched that front loaded offer to Shea Weber by Philadelphia all those years ago. At that time, they were also thought of as a smallish market team that didn't have the money to pay for all of those upfront bonuses.

The best part is what you mentioned last, and why many people are wondering why Aho would sign a contract deemed low, he is now 21 in 5 years he will be 26 and Ufa.  He knows he will get paid and max his overall income.  Smart move by Montreal and smart on Aho to get what he wanted, this is better than 9.5  to 11.5 at 8 yrs for him. 

Edited by KariyaSakicAnderson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Did CAR anounce they won't match ?

I believe they have 7 days to respond and considering MTL is held up by this deal they won’t be able to find another scoring on the market until the know If Carolina resigns Aho or not. I’d imagine they’re not happy about it and they’ve already stated they will match any offer sheet so they may just sit on their decision.

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Did CAR anounce they won't match ?

Car GM eluded that they would match but not right away. They want to screw Montreal from being able to sign any other free agents.

• Upvote 1

If I'm Carolina, I pick up the phone and say "We're matching this, but if you come up with a better trade offer in the next week, we'll consider it." The value of losing Aho for that is not great. Also, not sure I'd want the player playing for my team if he doesn't wanna be there.

Whether it's done frequently or not, whether it ruins the brotherhood of GM's or not, this is a good play from Montreal. It hits the weak spots for their division rival and sets it up for UFA by 26 of a key player. No way Caronlina would go 5 years if they negotiated the contract with Aho without this offer sheet. 

6 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

If I'm Carolina, I pick up the phone and say "We're matching this, but if you come up with a better trade offer in the next week, we'll consider it." The value of losing Aho for that is not great. Also, not sure I'd want the player playing for my team if he doesn't wanna be there.

If Carolina matches they can't trade him for a year.

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As I said before, it’s actually more Machivalian (sp?) than that.  Habs didn’t give a huge offer sheet as their (my opinion) main goal is to take out one of their competition by forcing them to match such a heavily front end / bonus laden deal.  Other team isn’t a cap floor team but still a team that due to smaller revenues will have a tough time managing budget when they match.  Habs win no matter what.

Their owner to threw away 250 million like it was nothing and the Habs think he won't match an offer sheet where they have to pay 20m upfront in bonuses... okay, lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Their owner to threw away 250 million like it was nothing and the Habs think he won't match an offer sheet where they have to pay 20m upfront in bonuses... okay, lol. 

You talking about the football league he was/ is involved with?  Unless I’m mistaken, he never actually invested 250 million but setup lines of credit so he could borrow up to 250 million.  I think the amount he ended up kicking in was much less.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

There goes an entire decade of their playoff revenue. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Are you saying you would be fine with the Hurricanes letting Aho go for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd?

I wasn't asked that question.   The answer is no I would not be fine with that.