The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Can someone please explain to me why Brock is exempt for an offer sheet?

It’s based on either total games played and/or that he played less than 10 games his first year season coming from university. I’ve seen contending comments but that’s the gist I think. 

1 minute ago, GreyHatnDart said:

It’s based on either total games played and/or that he played less than 10 games his first year season coming from university. I’ve seen contending comments but that’s the gist I think. 

Yes it has to do with not hitting the 10 games

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Jesus people...

You guys want a guy who signed an offer sheet from another team?

AND you want to trade Boeser for him? He's a loyal character from what it seems like.

No, no no. Just no. Loyalty goes a LONG way.

Name a player that has stuck with the same team after signing an Offer sheet.

Yeah, didn't think so.

I would trade Boeser for Aho without even thinking twice.  I love brock but Aho can control an entire game on his own.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Jesus people...

You guys want a guy who signed an offer sheet from another team?

AND you want to trade Boeser for him? He's a loyal character from what it seems like.

No, no no. Just no. Loyalty goes a LONG way.

Name a player that has stuck with the same team after signing an Offer sheet.

Yeah, didn't think so.

Joe Sakic. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

dang, he woulda been the perfect fit for Ep40 ...but i know van ran out of money ....esp since they have to pay luongo retirement fund

Doesn’t matter how much money we had Carolina isn’t letting Aho go.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Ohlund signed one with the Leafs, then stayed with us for over a decade, and Backes stuck around quite a while with St Louis after signing one with us.  Sakic also signed one with the Rangers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets

Ohlund only signed it because Quinn was trying to lowball him (different CBA back then) on his first contract.  I'll give Quinn the benefit of the doubt (being the best GM the clubs ever had gives you that slack) as I guess ownership directed him to cut costs.

• Cheers 1

Think the Canes will match, if Montreal really wanted him, probably should have to gone into the next level in which they give up 2 firsts, a second and third. But I guess that would just handcuff them from making any other moves for a week, so they're just hoping the structure of it will be enough to stop Carolina paying. It makes the day a bit more interesting though.

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ohlund only signed it because Quinn was trying to lowball him (different CBA back then) on his first contract.  I'll give Quinn the benefit of the doubt (being the best GM the clubs ever had gives you that slack) as I guess ownership directed him to cut costs.

Best Gm.....you realize if you've read his book that he let ownership at the time ruined signing Gretzky right?.....

11 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Best Gm.....you realize if you've read his book that he let ownership at the time ruined signing Gretzky right?.....

You do realize the state of the club prior to him being hired as GM right?  Never said he was infallible.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

You've got to wonder if just the act of a GM trying to poach a player with an offer sheet opens the door to more of this happening going forward. It's been considered taboo for years but there's been more chatter about it the last year in regards to how GM's and teams have to do everything they can to be competitive. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What an obtuse thing to say.   The haul from Montreal could be very impressive.     There are few small markets that deserve a team more.   

Are you saying you would be fine with the Hurricanes letting Aho go for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd?