The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Benning is quietly pragmatic, and silently premeditated,  I would t say that he is swinging for fences, because these recent acquisitions come at fair cost and ample term..   I think he has loaded a gun, pointing at targets, and pulling the trigger.

Some of those targets now will be at underperforming players.

I think some people think that JB is dumb AF. And he's certainly made mistakes (Eriksson, Sutter, etc), but he's also made some really good moves for this franchise (drafting EP40, finding Brock later 1st round, etc). He's definitely going for it, I think he sees that if he doesn't make the postseason this year, he's probably not coming back next year as GM. So obviously he's wanting to come back. And he has made improvements every year he's been the GM here. I like his drafting, it's been better than all the other GM's that we've had (for the most part) in the history of this franchise. He's been solid. Could he be better? Yes. I think so, of course. 

I like Miller, and I like Ferlund. Those two in the top six will help. They're not just goons, they have offensive capability, and they're also "tough" to play against as well. That'll help both Boeser and EP40. 

I hope after these trades, Benning doesn't trade Boeser 

That'd be the worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Haha this is so true.  Let's all take a moment now to realize that Myers and Ferland were signed at under market value by JB.  Easy if one of them completely drops off a cliff to say they were bad signings (by the revisionist historians), however at this point in time I think we can all realize we got great value for both of them.

9.5 mil all in for both? Ridiculous. Many thought those two would cost 12-13. 

12 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If Eriksson is being traded you know that a good prospect is going with him. There is no way Eriksson goes anywhere unless the team is getting a prospect they want. I just hope that prospect isn't Jett Woo.

I'd ship out lind though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

Yeah, but unless Roussel is way ahead of schedule, they have until December to figure that out. Also they are likely to have another injury or 2 to add to LTIR by that time.

LTIR is minimum 10 games or 24 days.  Short term injuries still count agains the cap.

Just now, Silky mitts said:

Ok and if Boeser is lost without the puck on his stick you want to put him away from the best playmaker/vision on our team ? No one will feed him like EP does.  

And i don't think you have watched them play if you think they don't have any chemistry lol

Boeser had more goals, less ice time, less games played and he was rookie without Pettersson.  His shooting percentage was higher without Pettersson.  You don't have to look at the stats although they tell a clear story.  You can simply watch them play.  Boeser is not a great player without the puck.  That is what he can develop and grow in his game.  They don't come to the NHL as finished products.  He is a very good player with the puck on his stick.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

2 possibilities:

a) we are trading Boeser for 3x 1st round picks so Ferland fits into the current cap room

b) a trade coming to get rid of Eriksson and/or Sutter

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Still 5mil+ cap space and no room for Sutter + Eriksson.

We'd buy these guys out before losing Boeser.

With Roussel on IR we can fit Boeser and not have to move anyone until Rouss comes off. After that, any of Baer, Sutter, Tanev or the 'white whale' of Eriksson will need to be moved and shouldn't be a problem. 

So we basically have until November'ish to solve this 'problem' (and I wouldn't be surprised to see it dealt with before that either as we DO have a lot of bodies).

• Upvote 2

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I think some people think that JB is dumb AF. And he's certainly made mistakes (Eriksson, Sutter, etc), but he's also made some really good moves for this franchise (drafting EP40, finding Brock later 1st round, etc). He's definitely going for it, I think he sees that if he doesn't make the postseason this year, he's probably not coming back next year as GM. So obviously he's wanting to come back. And he has made improvements every year he's been the GM here. I like his drafting, it's been better than all the other GM's that we've had (for the most part) in the history of this franchise. He's been solid. Could he be better? Yes. I think so, of course. 

I like Miller, and I like Ferlund. Those two in the top six will help. They're not just goons, they have offensive capability, and they're also "tough" to play against as well. That'll help both Boeser and EP40. 

I hope after these trades, Benning doesn't trade Boeser 

That'd be the worse. 

He’s not trading Boeser guy, relax lol.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Boeser had more goals, less ice time, less games played and he was rookie without Pettersson.  His shooting percentage was higher without Pettersson.  You don't have to look at the stats although they tell a clear story.  You can simply watch them play.  Boeser is not a great player without the puck.  That is what he can develop and grow in his game.  They don't come to the NHL as finished products.  He is a very good player with the puck on his stick.  

Brock is a great shooter...Petey is one of the best at setting others up.

It also takes the focus off Petey AS the shooter when he and Brock play together.   Either one can score.