The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

On 7/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Have other players offered to pay for the re-creating when they change numbers?  I'm not a big Nylander fan, but that's a classy move at least.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

I see what you're saying but it disgusts me that BC bred boys like Colorado Joe will sell their Canadian citizenship and play their entire career for a dumpster like Colorado.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfeyOsEOMEmsjzFa5GMPJ

B)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Have other players offered to pay for the re-creating when they change numbers?  I'm not a big Nylander fan, but that's a classy move at least.

Am I the only one who loves seeing fans wearing the player's original number before they switched to the current one? 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Am I the only one who loves seeing fans wearing the player's original number before they switched to the current one? 

I'm not sure I would change mine in that situation either, tbh.  guess it depends how long they had the number, and why the change.  For instance, I would never change from 10 to 96 for a Bure jersey. Too many good memories for #10, before #11 came around :sick:

Just thought it was cool to offer to pay for the change for those that want it.

Edited by Kragar

I'm not that impressed with this thread. 

No, I think the writer was off track.  But, as others have mentioned, it was written for a company that owned the Leafs. Not a surprise. I wish our writers in Vancouver were better fans. Not always negative nellies. 

I don't believe its worth 6 pages of Leaf and Dubas bashing.

I hope they make the play off's. They're a Canadian team.  I'll cheer for any of them.

Canucks first, foremost and above all. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, apollo said:

That's a fair opinion... But idc what the situation, I'd %100 find a way to sign with the Canucks if I was a guy like sakic. 

I know it's easy to say considering I'm not even in the NHL... But those are my morals. Give back to the city that made you. 

He tormented this team and our fans for almost 2 decades. The least he coulda done was play here near the end of his career. 

That's my 2 cents. I'm not gonna like him ever. With great power comes great responsibility. 

I totally understand your perspective, but does your opinion change if the situation is reversed?

Would you applaud their loyalty if Brock, Quinn, and Thatcher left and signed in the States for no other reason than they're American and they don't want to play in Canada?  Or Elias leaves for Sweden?  Or Pods never leaves Russia?

Preaching for loyalty and national pride when choosing where to sign doesn't sound too hot when some of your very own current and future superstars aren't even Canadian.  

Just saying.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not that impressed with this thread. 

No, I think the writer was off track.  But, as others have mentioned, it was written for a company that owned the Leafs. Not a surprise. I wish our writers in Vancouver were better fans. Not always negative nellies. 

I don't believe its worth 6 pages of Leaf and Dubas bashing.

I hope they make the play off's. They're a Canadian team.  I'll cheer for any of them.

Canucks first, foremost and above all. 

Except for Calgary, I'll NEVER cheer for them

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, DollarAndADream said:

I like how in the Canucks one in that article it says,

"We’ll withhold final judgment here, however, until we see Brock Boeser’s contract.".

But it doesn't say that in the Leafs one about Marner.

NHL’s Top 10 UFAs remaining: Latest rumours, reports

Gardiner:

"Gardiner, a Minnesota native, enjoyed being a Maple Leaf, and despite his defensive lapses — which can be magnified — the Leafs weren’t happy to let him walk."

Hutton:

"Of all the UFAs still floating out there, none averaged more time on ice than Hutton (22:21). The left-shot defender is coming off a nice little bounce-back season after a dismal 2017-18 but was curiously not qualified by the Vancouver Canucks, and they lost a 26-year-old defenceman for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If Hutton had a nice little bounce back season, he would still be a Canuck.  Salary too high for his skill level.

And he’d be signed by another team.  Hutton is looking like he’s going to be a PTO guy.  A player has to offer more than just a “cute wink”.  :lol:

• Haha 3

The Leafs presently (without Marner) have $30 million per year tied up in 3 players for 5 years,.  35m for 3 years including Reilly.

Yikes.

If that’s the most improved team in Canada,. I’m glad it’s in Toronto.

kind of refreshing to look at the Canucks Cap spreadsheet in comparison,.  And apparently the radio topic today is how Benning is the GM in the “hot seat” this year.  Lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

If Hutton had a nice little bounce back season, he would still be a Canuck.  Salary too high for his skill level.

I wonder if Hutton wishes he accepted Benning's offer, and stayed with this excellent group. Greed got the best of him, maybe he'll get another shot with another team, but I don't see anyone offering him $4 per year, or given the responsibnilty of filling in for the team's top Dman (Edler). He'll be lucky to be in the 3rd pairing on any other team.  

The Leafs still haven't signed Marner. I'm sure Mitch would prefer to stay in TOR (his home province), but like others, he's chasing the money. I can actually see Marner accept less than what he should get, to stay in TOR. He's been drinking the Koolaid there for a little while and is probably brain-washed, Shanny style. TOR is still going to have problems though. Do they not watch the playoffs? When they got bounced in the first round, did they think it was too much grit that cost them the series? lol The changes they made looks that way, they got rid of their gritty players for smaller players. They switched a couple of seniors in Marleau and Spezza, for some reason. And there is possible problems in the room between Matthews and Kapanen. On a positive note for them I guess, is that I think Nylander is going to have a big year. TOR will have the same issues as last year, except this time they'll just squeak in, but get bounced in the first round again. Not enough gritty support players.

9 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I totally understand your perspective, but does your opinion change if the situation is reversed?

Would you applaud their loyalty if Brock, Quinn, and Thatcher left and signed in the States for no other reason than they're American and they don't want to play in Canada?  Or Elias leaves for Sweden?  Or Pods never leaves Russia?

Preaching for loyalty and national pride when choosing where to sign doesn't sound too hot when some of your very own current and future superstars aren't even Canadian.  

Just saying.

Elias leaves for Sweden isn't really an option... And I'd respect him if he decided to play here until he's 39... And then go play in Sweden until he's 46. He's that good.

But... The NHL is the top league that superstars want to play in. So when you get non American / Canadian, they become honorary citizens... Like the Sedins, Naslund, Ohlund, Edler are. 

I'd definitely be upset as a Canucks fan to lose Brock, Quinn or Thatcher... Don't get me wrong.

I'd probably hate on them if they left without us getting a fair trade (final year of the contract we trade him instead of losing in UFA for nothing) 

That being said, I respect their morals when it comes to going back and giving back to their home state where they grew up. 

There's other factors too... 

Also no where has this pattern been more evident than The Canucks and Leafs... The two provinces have invested so much time and money, and they keep generating superstars for these US cities. 

Growing up, I always saw Colorado Joe and Steve Y, and many other BC superstars torment the team that meant absolutely everything to me in elementary school. I'm still a passionate fan but in a more "sane" way. No more punching walls after regular season goals against lol (happened once :lol: