The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep it was why they were bounced so fast.  

But Neal wasn't playing that way, He had 3 goals heading into the Christmas break, and that was with good opportunity.  Flames don't really need another player on their top line.  Or even in the top 6 for that matter.  They needed a bottom 6 brute who can intimidate and provide a physical presence in the game.  Bennett wasn't enough.  While Lucic lucic at 5.25 is about a $3 million over payment for that role he does fill a need.  I called this as a high potential trade 4 months ago since if fits both teams needs and provides two struggling players with a new opportunity..

Considering both contracts are anchors, it's about as win win as it can get for those situations and the fact that flames save cap in the process (which they need) it's a good move.  

I think Neal just had an off year but I could be wrong.  If he rebounds to his former self this is a big win for Edmonton.  If he plays like last year then both teams get zero improvement really.  I don't see Lucic in the top 6 either so you are right he will play with Bennett and be a 3rd line enforcer who can play nasty.  The problem is he is eating up top 6 cap space for another 4 years and in 2 years he could be a 4th line guy.  Calgary still have 3 RFA's to sign including their big gun Tkachuk, so their cap space is going to be tight.  Having Lucic eat up all that cap space playing in the bottom 6 may come back to bite them.

Vegas has major cap issues.  Calgary could have just tried to get Reaves and play him on the 4th line at a reasonable cap hit, but maybe he wasn't available.  I guess we will see what happens.  The trade could ultimately just be a wash for both teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Calgary is stuck with it: https://flamesnation.ca/2019/07/19/milan-lucics-arrival-also-adds-some-complications/

So Treliving has to protect Lucic in the ED, can't really buy him out, and didn't get a significant sweetener, for a guy they could have bought out for 1.9 mil per? 

Wow. 

if true not a wise move by Calgary to honour his NMC, players making that much performing that poorly should be happy for a fresh start. Why a team would honour is mind boggling...especially with another expansion draft up coming

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

if true not a wise move by Calgary to honour his NMC, players making that much performing that poorly should be happy for a fresh start. Why a team would honour is mind boggling...especially with another expansion draft up coming

My money's on drugs.  Hopefully Benning's called and offered up Eriksson for Hamonic before Treliving's stash runs out.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

What is with you old farts thinking you need some goon to "enforce" things, still?

There's no place in todays NHL to have some stone hands goon on your team anymore. Everyone on the roster needs to be able to produce, in more ways than simply getting into fights and being imposing to other teams. 

It's all about team toughness now. You need players that can score, and take care of themselves, or team mates that'll come to their defense. 

get with the times man.

I never said I wanted a goon on the team, like some Chris Simon type player. I want an enforcer that can stand up to the heavyweights when need be, like a Reaves type.

Despite all that's been said about the game changing (and they've been saying that forever) intimidation will always be a part of the game, and it's better for the Canucks to have that type of player for when we need him. That's just the reality.

11 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I never said I wanted a goon on the team, like some Chris Simon type player. I want an enforcer that can stand up to the heavyweights when need be, like a Reaves type.

Despite all that's been said about the game changing (and they've been saying that forever) intimidation will always be a part of the game, and it's better for the Canucks to have that type of player for when we need him. That's just the reality.

Image result for ferland

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

$3M cash for a $6M cap hit is fine but when you're getting 10 goals or less for $3M that does not compute

It does if you take back another player making more ACTUAL cash (but say shorter term/lower cap)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

I love too watch ufc, I never said I didn’t like fighting. And soccer is just plain boring.

I went to watch Euro Cup in France couple of years ago. We watched the German France semifinal in Marseille. 

Then came back to Paris for Final France vs Portugal. Had best seats in the stadium cost me almost 1g per ticket for 4 tickets. 

Best sporting event I have ever attended. And I've been to game 7 Canucks games. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Neal just had an off year but I could be wrong.  If he rebounds to his former self this is a big win for Edmonton.  If he plays like last year then both teams get zero improvement really.  I don't see Lucic in the top 6 either so you are right he will play with Bennett and be a 3rd line enforcer who can play nasty.  The problem is he is eating up top 6 cap space for another 4 years and in 2 years he could be a 4th line guy.  Calgary still have 3 RFA's to sign including their big gun Tkachuk, so their cap space is going to be tight.  Having Lucic eat up all that cap space playing in the bottom 6 may come back to bite them.

But, if flames management thinks that it wasn't just an off year with Neal then they are in the exact same position and at least Lucic provides some team need.  This lucic trade free'd up half a million in cap space.

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vegas has major cap issues.  Calgary could have just tried to get Reaves and play him on the 4th line at a reasonable cap hit, but maybe he wasn't available.  I guess we will see what happens.  The trade could ultimately just be a wash for both teams.

The problem is both teams need cap space.  If vegas is trading reeves (which they aren't) they don't want someone elses cap dump or a wash.  Vegas needs to free up cap space.  Flames need to free up cap space it just doesn't work out. Also even if they somehow got reeves, he's going to cost them an asset, and then they are still saddled with a $6 million Neal for 4 years. 

Flames have been trying to offload Frolik and there haven't been any takers,  They've been trying to move neal and his value is so low that even with add on there haven't been any takers,  They have been even exploring moving brodie, but right now teams are still in waiting mode with potential UFAs still on the market.  Like i said, for two negative contracts this is about as win win as you could hope for.  Both teams swap out a overpriced player but also both fill a needed skillset.

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Four years.

Flames cannot trade Lucic without his permission. 

They must use a protection spot for him in expansion unless he waives. 

They cannot even send him to the AHL unless he permits.

FOR ALL FOUR YEARS.

328 games not including playoffs.