The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Puljujarvi to play in Finland until he is traded

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I will never feel sorry for Oilers fans. I have many around me and they cheered vigorously against the Canucks in 2011. Couldn't even cheer us on for our first cup whilst they have many. Ever argue with an Oilers fan? They just throw their cups in your face as the glory years are all they have left. They are spoiled, entitled fans for the most part. I hope the team continues to rot for decades and I very much enjoy watching their circus of a franchise suck. 

5E806015-DAE8-4AAF-BAA9-F322FCDD25A2.gif

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, rekker said:

Although, I do agree with you in that they have been severaly, humbled. They have no choice but to laugh at their teams mistakes since there have been so, so many. It's been comical and they cant help but giggle it seems. 

My stance is that there are obnoxious people everywhere; sport fans and non sport fans (see: anyone that posts on Twitter and Facebook). These types of people aren’t the norm, they are the vocal minority. And the ones that get a platform to do it (ie: media) are paid precisely to do that. 

But yeah, they’ve been incredibly humbled. So many Oiler fans today are too young to either remember the Gretzky years, or weren’t even alive then. All they know is an embarrassment of a franchise that has been given every chance to turn it around. 4 first round picks over since 2010 to do so. How you screw that up is unreal. I feel for them because that could easily have been any other franchise that received the same chance and botched it so poorly. They’re a sitcom that doesn’t have a finale in sight. Just renews it every season as it’s hilarious. The only people not laughing, who find it a tragedy, are the people who have to put up with it. It’s really sad. Sad as in embarrassing.

Not worse than the Senators, though. Those fans have to see an owner who seems to be actively working at destroying moral and their future.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder how Puljujarvi would've done if the Canucks drafted and developed him. 

I watch most of the Oilers games...........I'm not sure we would have developed him much better.  Something is just off with him.....like Yakupov.  Skilled, but doesn't really know how to play hockey.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Exodus!

Movement of the players.

Whatever can Edmonchuk do to keep players there?

Open another mall?

Even having McJesus is not enough.

Then when even He demands a trade, look out.

Exodus!

Movement of the team.

(Bob Marley knock off for a Fine Friday Afternoon; 4:20 in Winterpeg.)

You have no idea why he wants out. Apparently you also have no idea about the climate where he is from.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Has a player ever been so badly mismanaged? He’s 21... how could he possibly hate this franchise so quickly. Chiarelli is a beauty. What did you do to him!

Remember when Columbus passed on the consensus 3rd ranked player in the 2016 draft?  AND the Columbus GM was Kekalainen is Finnish too and may very well have had more information than most GM's.  What I have heard is that he's a bit of an odd duck; maybe immature.  He has had difficulty playing in the big league and adjusting to living away from home etc.  I think he needed more support than most as a rookie and wasn't getting it.

Sorry, I don't remember the source.  I heard this on the radio shortly after it came out that he didn't want to return to the Oilers.  Maybe someone can else can remember.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe he’s another Yakupov?  Why give up assets for a bustaroo?  I wouldn’t even trade Goldy for Mr. Fortnite. 

Yup, he could be and I wouldn’t trade much at this point for him. But at his age worth a gamble I think, if you could get him for a low price that is.

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yup, he could be and I wouldn’t trade much at this point for him. But at his age worth a gamble I think, if you could get him for a low price that is.

What’s a fair price?  Is he needing waivers to be sent to the AHL yet?  Maybe, if Goldy isn’t good enough for us, and JP isn’t good enough for the Oilers, then we could swap before both guys get put on waivers?  That kind of gives each team a fresh kick at the can with two young guys in similar circumstances?  

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Who's to say that he couldn't develop into one of our 6 best wingers, while being on a bargain deal?  Nothing wrong with healthy competition (e.g. he gives Jake a run for his money and can be another Leivo or Pearson... or better)

I'm all down for low risk, potentially high reward assets that might just need another chance to flourish.  Start him off with Gaudette on the big line in Utica and go from there.  If he doesn't pan out we have more than enough depth to move on.  Dangle Goldie as others have mentioned.  

Because we already have an plethora of middle 9 wingers, even with the exclusion of Boeser. Leivo, Miller, Ferland, Virtanen, Bärtschi, Pearson, Gaudette, and Goldobin. Can you honestly say he’s better than any of these players?

He’s not coming to Vancouver to play a bottom six role.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Who's to say that he couldn't develop into one of our 6 best wingers, while being on a bargain deal?  Nothing wrong with healthy competition (e.g. he gives Jake a run for his money and can be another Leivo or Pearson... or better)

I'm all down for low risk, potentially high reward assets that might just need another chance to flourish.  Start him off with Gaudette on the big line in Utica and go from there.  If he doesn't pan out we have more than enough depth to move on.  Dangle Goldie as others have mentioned.  

You know, I think JB has put bringing in players who didn't develop elsewhere on the back burner.  Baer was a modest success but who else?  But would he make an exception for a player who had such a high ceiling?  I don't know but I would really want to know what the kid's story is before bringing him in.   

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I will never feel sorry for Oilers fans. I have many around me and they cheered vigorously against the Canucks in 2011. Couldn't even cheer us on for our first cup whilst they have many. Ever argue with an Oilers fan? They just throw their cups in your face as the glory years are all they have left. They are spoiled, entitled fans for the most part. I hope the team continues to rot for decades and I very much enjoy watching their circus of a franchise suck. 

I have and will always cheer for a Canadian team in the final (yes, sometimes I cringe thinking about that), but worse than losing the cup in 2011 was seeing other Canadians (including friends) wishing failure for the Canucks in that final in my own hometown.  Albertans especially should have held their noses and wished their countrymen and friends some good fortune.

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Remember when Columbus passed on the consensus 3rd ranked player in the 2016 draft?  AND the Columbus GM was Kekalainen is Finnish too and may very well have had more information than most GM's.  What I have heard is that he's a bit of an odd duck; maybe immature.  He has had difficulty playing in the big league and adjusting to living away from home etc.  I think he needed more support than most as a rookie and wasn't getting it.

Sorry, I don't remember the source.  I heard this on the radio shortly after it came out that he didn't want to return to the Oilers.  Maybe someone can else can remember.

He played more games in the NHL than AHL in the last three years. Meanwhile the consensus is he wasn’t NHL ready to start all three years, but he now requires waivers. So his development years are over. For a 4th overall pick, that’s just not acceptable. Regardless to whether or not he could or will ever live up to that potential. He didn’t have a chance based on where he was the day after the draft. 

Staying in the AHL, Loaning him in Europe, or getting him to a CHL team were are fine options. They chose to keep playing him over his head in the NHL, and wasting away his waiver exemption status. 

He may be an odd duck, but even an odd duck doesn’t ask to be traded away from McDavid’s team. The management did something to do that. 

Edit: development years are over for Edmonton... obviously not Puljijarvi. 

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s a fair price?  Is he needing waivers to be sent to the AHL yet?  Maybe, if Goldy isn’t good enough for us, and JP isn’t good enough for the Oilers, then we could swap before both guys get put on waivers?  That kind of gives each team a fresh kick at the can with two young guys in similar circumstances?  

Well I cant say about the waivers as I dont know without looking it up EDIT: (but the poster above does! ). I think the oilers would want a prospect or pick back for him and dont think that they would take a Schaller or LE (with anything that we would want to give up). I wouldnt do much more than a Gadjovich and maybe a 3rd in 2021 (4th in 2020). I am one that likes Goldy and hope he works out for us but I also realize that he may not and it wouldnt be the end of the world to lose him. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You know, I think JB has put bringing in players who didn't develop elsewhere on the back burner.  Baer was a modest success but who else?  But would he make an exception for a player who had such a high ceiling?  I don't know but I would really want to know what the kid's story is before bringing him in.   

You can't argue his ability.  Any interest in him would likely come down to physical health and his attitude.