The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Puljujarvi to play in Finland until he is traded

3 hours ago, stawns said:

A 20 year old on a struggling team struggled in his first year out of Jr?  Say it ain't so!

Ok sure, but you can't deny that Gadj's stock is rock bottom right now. He's arguably not even a top 15 prospect for us at this point. So that's why I mentioned his name as someone I'd be willing to include in a trade for Puljujarvi. 

It seems no matter what he just wants out.

Were/are injuries the only issue with him?

Or is this a case of a kid who so badly doesn't want to play for a team that he mailed it in?

His passing, skating, stick handling were and are elite level.  But all of a sudden he can't do any of it?

I think whoever nets this kid has a chance at a bargain basement stud

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It seems no matter what he just wants out.

Were/are injuries the only issue with him?

Or is this a case of a kid who so badly doesn't want to play for a team that he mailed it in?

His passing, skating, stick handling were and are elite level.  But all of a sudden he can't do any of it?

I think whoever nets this kid has a chance at a bargain basement stud

that probably has a lot to do with it. That is a bit concerning I'm sure to GMs kicking tires, but if you got him in exchange for one of your problem projects then thats not a big deal. 

Problem is I doubt Holland is looking to get a return of Ho-Sang for Puljujarvi. JP's bad luck might be that Edmonton now has a patient GM. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that probably has a lot to do with it. That is a bit concerning I'm sure to GMs kicking tires, but if you got him in exchange for one of your problem projects then thats not a big deal. 

Problem is I doubt Holland is looking to get a return of Ho-Sang for Puljujarvi. JP's bad luck might be that Edmonton now has a patient GM. 

Even Holland won’t survive Edmonton.

1 hour ago, Quint said:

https://www.tsn.ca/agent-for-edmonton-oilers-f-jesse-puljujarvi-this-is-not-about-money-1.1348394

Reading between the lines it sounds like he may have a personality conflict with at least one long term Oiler. JMHO.

I read that too.

Seems no matter what he is not and will not play for the team.

I wish Benning would make a play for him.  I swear unless his legs are gone he's going to be that 4th overall pick he looked like almost anywhere else

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I read that too.

Seems no matter what he is not and will not play for the team.

I wish Benning would make a play for him.  I swear unless his legs are gone he's going to be that 4th overall pick he looked like almost anywhere else

I don’t think he makes the team. Who is he going to bump off the Canucks? This guy’s best move is to get his confidence back, develop a bit more and show some good stats in Finland.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t think he makes the team. Who is he going to bump off the Canucks? This guy’s best move is to get his confidence back, develop a bit more and show some good stats in Finland.

Goldobins spot?

Start him in Utica with Juolevi and they rekindle that chemistry.  Bring over Utunen as well and see what happens.

I think there's a place for him here in the long term.

On a side note, how awesome is it we can look and say damn...this kids a former 4th overall and possibly just doesn't want to play in edmonton, still has all that skill as evidenced by his play last week and we just don't have a spot for him and he'd have to earn it.

Pretty far cry from even 2 years ago

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I agree, I think the best thing for him right now, would be to sign a deal for a year in Finland, prove that he can put up numbers there and regain his confidence and then come back to the NHL next season. He'll be easier to trade.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Goldobins spot?

Start him in Utica with Juolevi and they rekindle that chemistry.  Bring over Utunen as well and see what happens.

On a side note, how awesome is it we can look and say damn...this kids a former 4th overall and possibly just doesn't want to play in edmonton, still has all that skill as evidenced by his play last week and we just don't have a spot for him and he'd have to earn it.

Why would he come here just to play bottom six (or the minors, as you suggested) when he could go to a team like New York or New Jersey and play in their top 6 with more talented players?

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Edmonton's forum on HFboards seemed to think it was Lucic.

No, you think it’s Lucic.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Why would he come here just to play bottom six (or the minors, as you suggested) when he could go to a team like New York or New Jersey and play in their top 6 with more talented players?

No, you think it’s Lucic.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rumours-proposals-thread-keep-nuge-forever.2669189/page-25#post-163390691

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Goldobins spot?

I doubt he clears waivers. Goldobin might not even have a spot himself as is.

I like the potential of Puljujarvi, but not sure where he fits and I imagine Edmonton wants more than scraps in return at this point.

46 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If this was true, Hitch wouldn’t have done nothing about it. He praised Lucic leadership, once he took over.

When you have a guy like Lucic on your wing it’s pretty easy to follow in his footsteps. He sets the energy level every shift. He’s a great leader.”

Edited by shiznak

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I doubt he clears waivers. Goldobin might not even have a spot himself as is.

I like the potential of Puljujarvi, but not sure where he fits and I imagine Edmonton wants more than scraps in return at this point.

It mostly depends on how much EDM is asking for. I would trade a 3rd + Goldy for him as I believe there is more chance he will become a difference maker than both Goldy and the pick.

We could just trade for his RFA rights and give him time in Finland to continue his development.

If something bad happens like another couple of forwards go on LTIR before Dec then sign him and bring him in this year.

Otherwise sign him in time for next season. There will be spots available by then with Leivo, Motte, Virtanen off contract. Plus the possibility that Eriksson, Baer or Pearson get traded to thin the LW stocks.

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

It mostly depends on how much EDM is asking for. I would trade a 3rd + Goldy for him as I believe there is more chance he will become a difference maker than both Goldy and the pick.

We could just trade for his RFA rights and give him time in Finland to continue his development.

If something bad happens like another couple of forwards go on LTIR before Dec then sign him and bring him in this year.

Otherwise sign him in time for next season. There will be spots available by then with Leivo, Motte, Virtanen off contract. Plus the possibility that Eriksson, Baer or Pearson get traded to thin the LW stocks.

If you were in the same situation as Edmonton, would Goldy and a 3rd be enough? Edmonton holds the cards right now. If Puljujarvi wants to go back to Finland, then let him. I'll be patient looking for a deal and let guys like Benson and Yamamoto and maybe even Lavoie surpass him on the depth as he toils in Europe. He's only hurting his own career with this move. Teams at some point need to send a message to these young guys that they can't pull these moves to get what they want, especially severely unproven ones like Puljujarvi. If I was Holland, I'm not taking scraps for him and especially not so to a divisional rival.

If teams are trading for him, he's not going to want to stay in Finland. He's only doing this as a power move to try and get what he wants. I forget the rule, but he would have to be signed by a certain date of he's to be played this season and I rather have the guys currently in our system step into any injury fill in spots rather than throw in a guy who wouldn't have even have had one practice with us and learn our systems in this scenario.

As the wingers spots "thin", we will have our own players competing for spots and Puljujarvi has as much guarantee to succeed as those guys. We could see Lockwood, Lind, Hoglander all competing by next season.

To be clear, if we can get Puljujarvi for cheap, then I'm all for it, but I don't think the price is that low yet and we don't have the space for a project like him at this point (while other teams might if we try to get him through waivers). I just don't see it being worth the trouble at this point.

I don't see where he would fit long term unless he took Virtanen's spot.  He's a right winger so you have to look at what we will have on the right side:

Boeser

Podkolzin

Virtanen

MacEwen

The only way to fit him in would be to move Jake over to the left side.  However, we don't have a spot there either with Miller, Ferland and Hoglander.  So unless we make a trade it's not really gonna work for us long term.  Our wing position is set if Podkolzin and Hoglander are the real deals.  So I'd rather roll the dice on our own draft picks then on Pool Party.  At the end of the day Pool Party will want a top 6 role and the way our team is currently constructed he doesn't really fit our needs.  We got the big bodies now which we were missing so let's roll the dice on what we have and go from there.  I like our forward lines right now, the only upgrade we could really use is on the back end, but we have several young prospects on the way so I think Benning is pretty much done with this team right now.  His only priority is really to try and get rid of Eriksson if it's possible.  If not he is Utica bound.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't see where he would fit long term unless he took Virtanen's spot.  He's a right winger so you have to look at what we will have on the right side:

Boeser

Podkolzin

Virtanen

MacEwen

The only way to fit him in would be to move Jake over to the left side.  However, we don't have a spot there either with Miller, Ferland and Hoglander.  So unless we make a trade it's not really gonna work for us long term.  Our wing position is set if Podkolzin and Hoglander are the real deals.  So I'd rather roll the dice on our own draft picks then on Pool Party.  At the end of the day Pool Party will want a top 6 role and the way our team is currently constructed he doesn't really fit our needs.  We got the big bodies now which we were missing so let's roll the dice on what we have and go from there.  I like our forward lines right now, the only upgrade we could really use is on the back end, but we have several young prospects on the way so I think Benning is pretty much done with this team right now.  His only priority is really to try and get rid of Eriksson if it's possible.  If not he is Utica bound.

Hogs and VP are still ways away. Ofcourse we want our own picks to turn out but wouldnt it be better to have more internal competition so that the best play rather than gifting new draft picks future roster spots? 

If JP out plays Hogs, I'd rather he take the roster spot. 

• Upvote 1