The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks Buyers or Sellers at the Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

Yung1

???  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Haven’t even played a single game and there’s a trade deadline thread. 

This forum sometimes  :picard:

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You do realize its August right?

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Without seeing this new Canucks roster in action once how could anyone say what our deadline plans should be? Lol. Without knowing our injury situation. Too many unknowns.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's next?

A Nils Hoglander do we really need him thread? 

I intended this to be just a fun speculative summer thread topic. obviously none of us know how the season is gonna go, but as a fan I find it fun to speculate and make predictions, especially after making some key moves over the summer so far

but if yall wanna be h8rs thats your own lifestyle choice and I cant stop u.

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol how are we going to be buyers when we have nothing of significance to buy with? we are already out our 1st rounder, are we willing to give up the 2nd rounders too? or are we giving up on prospect that doesn't have much value in the NHL atm? the only prospect we have that might be worth anything is podkolzin and dipeitro.. as for the NHL players we have LE sutter who we are trying to dump.. maybe virtanen but his stock ain't high. and moving tanev is more of a seller move than a buyer move

hoglander, juolevi, woo, keppen, madden, lockwood, rathbone, just to name a few. not saying I'd personally want to to trade all those players, but we definitely have more prospects with value than podkolzin and dipietro.

• Upvote 2

If we're top 5 in the conference, without injury issues, I don't think we'd be moving anything. Go with the group that got you there. Wild card spot, maybe buy, depends if there's any under performance in our line-up. If we're down and out, sell, but only for the right deal. We have some winger depth now, could afford to off one or two. (Baertschi, Goldobin, etc...)

Edited by Chickenspear

2 or 3 games up in the wildcard spot would be the line I'd consider reasonable to look at buying. But there isn't really going to be much to be able to buy, we've already dealt a  1st and don't have a deep enough prospect pool to go big game hunting. Even if we're in this spot I don't expect a big move of any kind, maybe some depth if anything at all. 

more than anything i expect this years team and depth to just be allowed to run with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I would like us just remember 2014 and the 101 points we had. Some shouted out the "Retool" was over. Some of us thought were being fooled. Which in retrospect, we were.

So, I am more inclined to give it a year, before making any rash moves that has us selling off prospects. 

I am still more inclined to be sellers of redundant pieces "IF", they have been replaced with youth, or in the last year of their contracts, "IF" our injury bug has not hit...……….

But of course it will...……….so

Status quo for me...……….for at least 1 year, meaning next years 2021 TDL

• Upvote 2

It’s all speculation at this point. 

But it I think the Canucks regardless of the standings need to be sellers.

Canucks already have too many players signed that can’t even play in the lineup and the season hasn’t begun. Need to get the payroll cap lowered. By the time season starts I hope Brock is signed and we have a clearer picture of the our cap problems. 

If Canucks are buyers at the TDL then something majorly wrong happened in the first half of the season. Injuries most likely a goalie or a key player. God forbid.

i can maybe see Canucks trying to upgrade with a one for one even trade at the TDL.  But they can’t be outright just buyers. So I don’t see any stupid UFA outright coming Canucks way.

back to cap. Tryamkin im a big fan of his and want too see him play on the Canucks soon after the TDL. He needs too be signed. Although I think playoffs there is no cap. So big Trym can be signed and make Canucks over the cap. What about next season? Trym needs a multi year deal to have him stay as a Canuck or NHL asset. 

Regardless imo I think Canucks have the players already needed for a good playoff push and a possible great playoff run. But I’m not sure at this time who’s exactly is on or off the team. Baertschi for example. 

Go Canucks Go.

• Upvote 1

It is really hard to say where this team will be. So many changes and very dependent on very young players. 

I think the answer should be the same either way, sellers. 

Sutter needs to go, likely Tanev and if possible Loui should all be moved on. Tanev we just can’t afford to re-sign after the UFA spending spree of the last couple seasons. 

If Sutter can stay healthy he just needs to go. We signed Beagle to play the role he was supposed to. Even if healthy though I only think he will have value if we retain 50% and even then it is a maybe. 

5 hours ago, Yung1 said:

I intended this to be just a fun speculative summer thread topic. obviously none of us know how the season is gonna go, but as a fan I find it fun to speculate and make predictions, especially after making some key moves over the summer so far

pitchforks.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

My own projection is we will be fighting SJ for 3rd place;

Vegas

Calgary

SJ / Vancouver

Edmonton  (improves with Tippet & Evan Bouchard

Phoenix

LA

Anaheim

And the Midwest will have both wildcard teams + Chicago fighting but ahead of SJ & us.;

Dallas

Colorado

St Louis

Nashville

Winnipeg / Chicago

So I reckon we wil have hockey trade talk.

And I will predict a trade or two between Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, the Rangers, the Islanders, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St-Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Washington, Winnipeg and even maybe Seattle.

That’s my prediction.

• Haha 2

I know it's way to early to decide, but for me trading some players when they are of a high value to some contenders and getting younger players in trade or plenty of picks for the up coming draft,apparently a very talented bunch this year,would this help us YES,YES IT WOULD.

However if we are playing some great hockey, we might want to boost the defense and get another sniper to go to war(the playoffs) with.

We don't have cap space to be buying much.  Even if we somehow get Eriksson off the books, when Rouse comes back we only have a few mil to play with iirc.  

What we do want, however, is to develop our young guys both on the roster and otherwise. We need high end talent to compliment our roster so I am hoping Benning consolidates some of the many prospects we have into a few high end ones. He already gave himself a head start with Podkolzin and Hoglander, imo.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

And I will predict a trade or two between Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, the Rangers, the Islanders, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St-Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Washington, Winnipeg and even maybe Seattle.

That’s my prediction.

Pretty much being a smart a$$ there, don't you think!

He said that 5 teams out of the Midwest...with Winnipeg and Chicago fighting for the last one wild card...….and then he says Both will have more points than the Canucks or SJ

I don't see that being a broad prediction...Winnipeg's Defense is worse, Chicago has improved....fair enough

SJ is not as strong, and the Canucks have improved...…..

If your joke was a broad joke, you should not have attached it to his.....then I get it......but to me being attached to Surfers is a poke at him prediction, which of course what this post is suppose to be about......

10 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Let's have some fun. Let's predict the draft order in 2020! 

• Haha 1

Calgary, Vegas, Vancouver/Arizona for top 3 in division, with Edmonton and SJ coming in behind that.  SJ is kind of a wild card.  Do they sign marleau and thornton?  Do they ride as is?  Will they have good goaltending, will they have shaky goaltending?  Edmonton, same with goaltending question marks, and you might as well throw Arizona in there as well.  And Calgary.  Vegas is solid if Fleury is healthy...  

But I have to say, if we're going strong, don't mess with it too much and maybe deal some of our extra forwards that aren't being used for....anything.  Don't buy unless you are able to parlay sutter, eriksson, and goldobin for a unicorn, aka maybe one of Philly's defensemen.  

I think this season is going to be fun, and we ride or die with who we have, but next season will see some definite tinkering to forwards who were untradeable this season.  I'm looking at your Eriksson, providing you're still on the roster.

• Cheers 1