The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

I put a trade proposal in the armchair GM section to pick him up.  Edmonton badly needs a 3C so maybe would be willing to give up some value for one who happens to belong to a legendary hockey family from the outskirts of Edmonton.  

Sutter and a pick/prospect

for

Puljujarvi and Khaira

It means we keep Gaudette in the NHL rather than spending a year developing in the AHL which is the current plan... but that isn’t a big deal.  We also have Miller who plays centre in case of injury.

Edmonton isn’t in a position to let an asset sit in Europe if it can be turned into something that can help them now.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I put a trade proposal in the armchair GM section to pick him up.  Edmonton badly needs a 3C so maybe would be willing to give up some value for one who happens to belong to a legendary hockey family from the outskirts of Edmonton.  

for

Puljujarvi and Khaira

It means we keep Gaudette in the NHL rather than spending a year developing in the AHL which is the current plan... but that isn’t a big deal.  We also have Miller who plays centre in case of injury.

Edmonton isn’t in a position to let an asset sit in Europe if it can be turned into something that can help them now.

Sutter and Gadjovic?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So you’re saying Puljujarvi is not willing to make the effort to lean those defensive skills?  Can he play defensively the right way, and still be an threat offensively?  

I am not saying that directly, but it could be a reason why he is developing so poorly. It's easy to just say Edmonton is bad at developing players but you also have to include that a player needs to be willing to learn to develop. Jake was willing to learn, he's always been willing to learn. It's why his year in the AHL was so successful. He listened to what the coach said and then went out and did it. It's hard to tell who is to blame more for Puljujarvi's development. If he is a willing learner then it's clearly on Edmonton for developing him poorly. But if he's unwilling to learn the defensive aspects then blame is solely on Puljujarvi. You can't teach someone something if they don't want to listen to what you have to say.

With all that said they've also had some suspect coaching and that is an important aspect to getting the most out of certain players. Do I think Eriksson is a bad player? No I just think he is a bad fit for the team and/or the coaching staff. Could be the same thing here. He might not gel with the coaches/players in Edmonton. All I am saying is I don't think the AHL is the only league a player can learn to defend or be a better professional. No league in the world compares to the speed of the NHL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A team could still trade for his rights after December 1, but then his value would even be lower than right now wouldn’t it? 

Oh for sure, but I was replying to post suggesting the player could come back in January. I imagine if he goes past the December 1st date, teams will simply wait until the next offseason to go back to this. There's no reason for Holland to move him at that point either and will be an afterthought until the offseason.

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

At this point a Goldobin-Puljujarvi swap may be fair.

Id probably do it

To this point in their careers, I'd actually place more value on Goldy than Puljujarvi.

While Puljujarvi seems to have regressed in his development, Goldy has progressed and has made improvements to his game and seems to be moving in a positive direction. Though far from a pollished, well rounded forward, Goldy seems to be, at least, moving in the right direction.

It may sound strange to expect a little more than a former fourth overall pick for Goldy but, imo, we are taking the higher risk in taking Puljujarvi.

Poolparty got to play with a couple of the top players in the world and couldn't make it happen.

The question is; What can he do here if he couldn't do it there?

On the other hand, Goldy gets to go and, possibly, play with the best player in the world. 

Edmonton leans to a more offensive philosophy than a two way one. This plays to Goldy's strengths and should, in theory, boost his production.

With these points made, I don't think it unfair to expect a mid to low round pick in addition to Puljujarvi.

16 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

To this point in their careers, I'd actually place more value on Goldy than Puljujarvi.

While Puljujarvi seems to have regressed in his development, Goldy has progressed and has made improvements to his game and seems to be moving in a positive direction. Though far from a pollished, well rounded forward, Goldy seems to be, at least, moving in the right direction.

It may sound strange to expect a little more than a former fourth overall pick for Goldy but, imo, we are taking the higher risk in taking Puljujarvi.

Poolparty got to play with a couple of the top players in the world and couldn't make it happen.

The question is; What can he do here if he couldn't do it there?

On the other hand, Goldy gets to go and, possibly, play with the best player in the world. 

Edmonton leans to a more offensive philosophy than a two way one. This plays to Goldy's strengths and should, in theory, boost his production.

With these points made, I don't think it unfair to expect a mid to low round pick in addition to Puljujarvi.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that he got to play with McDavid and Draisaitl. Aside from maybe a shift here and there, he was often put into a bottom 6 role because they wanted to develop his defensive game (rightfully so and goes against the offensive philosophy theory). Puljujarvi I believe is a couple years younger than Goldobin, so in those two years, Puljujarvi could make the same strides as where Goldobin is now which has to be taken into consideration. Goldobin is much closer to the stage where he may never become an NHL player.

This might be more of a Dahlen type situation where the player simply wants to play full offense (what has brought him success thus far) whereas the team feels he needs to work on his overall game. Edmonton's biggest mistake was bouncing him back and forth in the NHL and AHL and not really having a clear direction with his development. They may have misdiagnosed an injury as well and Puljujarvi simply hasn't been happy with how things are being run.

There is far more potential today that Puljujarvi could turn things around than Goldy unfortunately but at the same time Puljujarvi costs a NHL roster spot because he needs waivers now. If all it costs is a Goldy to get Puljujarvi AND a pick, then teams would've been all over this already.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

for

Puljujarvi and Khaira

Last year when Holland was still in Detroit he was saying that he's not looking to just makes the playoffs but wants to win a Cup.  He says the only way is to draft and develop.  He says the years where you are bad you have to accumulate as many draft picks as you can.  He says to win you need to have 3-4 franchise players / hall of famers.  He also says that you win with players in the 2nd half of their 20s.  

In Edmonton he talked of how young McDavid and Draisaitl still are - they are a key reason he accepted the job.  He talks of prospect development and the importance of Bakersfield. Doesn't really sound like he is going to rush anything and it seems more like he's going to go about it like in Detroit.  They don't have that push from below yet but have some interesting prospects coming but need more.

Edmonton doesn't have the roster to be competitive and they are not a C3 away.   He waited out Athanasiou in Detroit who then returned a few weeks into the season.  Apparently also Hudler per Willis - Hudler spent a year in the KHL as a RFA.  

I don't know if the behind the scenes footage was available with subtitles when he was drafted. Couldn’t find the clip I’m talking about either now. 

But on it he and his agent Markus Lehto were discussing him falling past Columbus in the draft when he looked like he was going third overall. Lehto said something in the lines of; I told you we couldn’t trust him (Jarmo Kekäläinen), I told you he can’t be trusted. 

There was some more negative stuff directed at Kekäläinen by Lehto but I can’t remember excatly what was said. Something about him being a weasel or something.

This hasn’t really got anything to do with anything, but at the time it changed my opinion about him a bit. I was a big fan as we had just won the gold medal at the juniors with Aho, Laine and Puljujärvi and was excited about an outside shot at us getting him at the draft. It made me feel like he thought it was a given that he’d go 3rd and fellow finn Kekäläinen would draft him automatically.

I honestly belive he hasn’t been developed well enough or properly. But I also feel he needs to keep his head down and work on things and should have done so with Edmonton until he has some actual value. He is an offensive player and has some shortcomings defensively. Adding to that is the factor that he is a bit cocky and arrogant at times. That can’t be a good thing when you don’t produce and develop like you should. 

Coming to Finland and play might work out if he can produce and shine like a star, but might also close the door for him to play in the NHL if he struggles.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Last year when Holland was still in Detroit he was saying that he's not looking to just makes the playoffs but wants to win a Cup.  He says the only way is to draft and develop.  He says the years where you are bad you have to accumulate as many draft picks as you can.  He says to win you need to have 3-4 franchise players / hall of famers.  He also says that you win with players in the 2nd half of their 20s.  

In Edmonton he talked of how young McDavid and Draisaitl still are - they are a key reason he accepted the job.  He talks of prospect development and the importance of Bakersfield. Doesn't really sound like he is going to rush anything and it seems more like he's going to go about it like in Detroit.  They don't have that push from below yet but have some interesting prospects coming but need more.

Edmonton doesn't have the roster to be competitive and they are not a C3 away.   He waited out Athanasiou in Detroit who then returned a few weeks into the season.  Apparently also Hudler per Willis - Hudler spent a year in the KHL as a RFA.  

Easier to say that in Detroit, vs. Edmonton who is facing more years of losing and has the best player on the planet wasting their prime years.

If he wanted to draft and develop from what he has, he has to trade McDavid and Draisaitl for picks and start over again.  Starting from now, they won’t have a critical mass of elite prospects coming up until it is too late for those guys.  They have at best a middle of the pack prospect pool at the moment.

There is a reason they had to bribe him to take the job.  There is no good option other than shuffle things a little and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Where does the nickname “poolparty” come from anyways?

Strictly because it is easier to say and spell....I don't imagine his teammates call him that.

Once your spellcheck learns his name its all good.

I think he needs to play in NA.  I watch most of the Oiler games.  This kid's problem, is he is young and has a low hockey IQ.  He has all the other qualities to at least be an NHL starter.