The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Can We All Agree That The Offseason Was a Smashing Success for JB

Rate this topic

coastal.view

Who doesn't think this off season was a success?  

When you look back at his previous attempts, it is clear that JB has a plan.  This year he actually had enough real talent on the roster along with adding JT Miller via trade to attract good FA's.  

Like the blend on this team, like the players and the coach.  Everything feels different.  Last year the winds changed, hope returned.  Adding Ep40 was a game changer, Hughes is a force multiplier.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Who doesn't think this off season was a success?  

You forgot the modifier, in smashing

I agree it was a success, maybe even a smashing success, but probably for different reasons than the average response. I like the physicality aspects of each move, for instance. It’s about identity and brand to me. 

However, a smashing success? 

Hardly. The guy spent house money to cover his previous mistakes. 

Since when would spending your way out of trouble be considered a smashing success, for any manager, ever? 

I give JB lots of credit for buying this team a spine, but let’s not forget why he had to in the first place. I really like his trades and several draft choices, but even I could have thrown gobs at money at players and had this forum gushing. 

Success or smashing success?

I will go as far as success, but that’s about it, so I guess I’m in disagreement with the premise or the task of both of your statements/questions. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:22 PM, oldnews said:

Derp.

His previous two seasons were 58 and 56 pt seasons....

not bad for an "average 3rd liner" lol.

Thanks for providing the chicken-little entertainment value thing though - CDC just aint CDC without it.

Bozak hit 55 points as a 3rd line center. And he hit 49 points 2x in a row before that. My point is that you can't say "he hit 50-60 points 2 years in a row!!" and proclaim someone a 2nd line player. It doesn't work like that.

A 3rd line player that has career years playing against weaker opposition could have 60 points, and then drop down to 40 points in a 2nd line role. As the quality of opposition increases, your point production will decrease. 

We will see at the end of the year if I'm right or wrong. If it helps the Canucks win, I will gladly be wrong.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

We will see at the end of the year if I'm right or wrong. If it helps the Canucks win, I will gladly be wrong.

Or, yknow, if you’d watched any of the half dozen-ish games he’s played in a Canucks uniform (or any games he’s played in the last 3 years which, evidently, you haven’t) you’d know he’s not a third liner. To say that is completely asinine. 

Maybe stick to starting threads. We haven’t had one of your doozies in a while. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You forgot the modifier, in smashing

I agree it was a success, maybe even a smashing success, but probably for different reasons than the average response. I like the physicality aspects of each move, for instance. It’s about identity and brand to me. 

However, a smashing success? 

Hardly. The guy spent house money to cover his previous mistakes. 

Since when would spending your way out of trouble be considered a smashing success, for any manager, ever? 

I give JB lots of credit for buying this team a spine, but let’s not forget why he had to in the first place. I really like his trades and several draft choices, but even I could have thrown gobs at money at players and had this forum gushing. 

Success or smashing success?

I will go as far as success, but that’s about it, so I guess I’m in disagreement with the premise or the task of both of your statements/questions. 

Spending money to build infrastructure and to add assets that allow for you to improve your product is good business.  

The Canucks are a spend to the cap team, they have been since the Aqualinis took over.  

Yet it isn't spending money on free agents that is having the biggest impact, drafting and the JT miller trade.  

But the FA's Jb brought in this year look decent to good.  Myers being the best acquisition.  Is Myers a Norris caliber d man, no.  But is he a top 4 guy, yes IMO.  Being that we really only had 2 top 4 d men last season, adding another thru FA was vital.  

That Hughes has stepped into a number 1 d man spot that has been vacant forever is the biggest single factor.  But without Myers to add to the depth we would still be struggling.  

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

Bozak hit 55 points as a 3rd line center. And he hit 49 points 2x in a row before that. My point is that you can't say "he hit 50-60 points 2 years in a row!!" and proclaim someone a 2nd line player. It doesn't work like that.

More derp material

One of those 49 pt seasons you refer to (as a '3rd liner' :wacko:) he scored in 58 games - while playing 21 minutes a night.

The previous (lockout) year he had 28 in 46, playing over 20 minutes.

His next 49 pt season - over 19 minutes.

Your definition of "3rd line center" is clearly meaningless - he was unquestionably their 2C for quite some time.

• Cheers 1

On 10/11/2019 at 12:28 PM, Matt_T83 said:

My point is that you can't say "he hit 50-60 points 2 years in a row!!" and proclaim someone a 2nd line player. It doesn't work like that.

Actually, his production was 2nd line level in only one of his last 3 years. Last year, on a very deep Tampa team where his icetime was 9th among forwards, his 47 points were 108th among NHL forwards, which (keeping in mind that there are 93 first line forward positions) was high 2nd line level

The previous 2 years, however, his 56 points and 58 points were 53rd and 72nd among NHL forwards, or unquestionably first line production. And his points per 60 minutes played has been in the top 93 for NHL forwards for each of the last 3 years.

So actually, many people would agree that it is not that appropriate to label Miller a 2nd line player, given the fact that his productivity is consistently first line level. But of course, calling him a third line player is completely ludicrous.

I have pointed these facts before. Which of them are you purporting to have difficulty understanding?

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/17/2019 at 7:25 PM, coastal.view said:

i will not enumerate all the things accomplished by the nucks gm since last season ended

many considered the brock signing to be the final piece before a complete assessment could be made

i think that contract is as consistently good as all the other things jb did this past summer

drafting, trading, ufa signings, other contract matters

(i'm sure many will nitpick -- i was never expecting perfection)

a top tier off season performance by gm jb in my books

good job!!

That's not even the steal we got in TJ Miller and I thought we were supposed to have overpaid, not so much as I argued before as no matter how bad we lose we never get top 5 except Pods but that was just JB being lucky but usually we are lucky to get top 10.. usually close to it.. sometimes that said player works out and sometimes they busy but getting TJ was something we needed right now not a player that may or may not make it and whoa did JB pull one out of his @@@ on signing Boeser for that price.. 

So far so good! 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:56 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

If Miller works out, then JB knocked it out of the park. If he doesn't, that's a massive mark against him. 

Miller was just one out of the park, Myers just became another, and so will Ferland be when he's healthy and back on his game. JB is 3 for 3, and out of the park to the street and past with Hughes last year and the ball is still rolling along on that one. Atta boy Jimbo! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Miller was just one out of the park, Myers just became another, and so will Ferland be when he's healthy and back on his game. JB is 3 for 3, and out of the park to the street and past with Hughes last year and the ball is still rolling along on that one. Atta boy Jimbo! 

Miller has been damn excellent so far. His style of play looks like it was a massive piece of the puzzle that was missing from the team. I certainly don't expect him to be a PPG player the entire season but he looks like the Canucks are getting him exactly as advertised. 

Myers has been good but I wouldn't count him as home run yet. 

We still haven't seen the Ferland we all want on the team. His 4 hits last game is something along those lines but so far, we haven't seen the guy who can run roughshod over an opposing team and create space for offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Miller has been damn excellent so far. His style of play looks like it was a massive piece of the puzzle that was missing from the team. I certainly don't expect him to be a PPG player the entire season but he looks like the Canucks are getting him exactly as advertised. 

We still haven't seen the Ferland we all want on the team. His 4 hits last game is something along those lines but so far, we haven't seen the guy who can run roughshod over an opposing team and create space for offense. 

Actually, considering how Petey, Bess, and Bo haven't been exactly lighting the lamp, our team is doing really well.  Our new guys (Meyrs, Ferland, Pearson, Hughes, and Miller are really providing us with a depth we haven't had for some time.  It's nice to know our team can perform well enough to win, when only firing on 8 out of 12 cylinders.  JB has done a nice job rebuilding our entire franchise.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Actually, considering how Petey, Bess, and Bo haven't been exactly lighting the lamp, our team is doing really well.  Our new guys (Meyrs, Ferland, Pearson, Hughes, and Miller are really providing us with a depth we haven't had for some time.  It's nice to know our team can perform well enough to win, when only firing on 8 out of 12 cylinders.  JB has done a nice job rebuilding our entire franchise.  

I would say the team, as a whole, is doing well so far but thank God for Markstrom arriving in mid-season form; otherwise, I don't know if they'd be a .500 team at the moment. 

It is early but I agree that it looks like the Canucks finally have some depth scoring which will make a huge difference for their playoffs chances. 

If Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat get going properly, we could be in for a major treat this season.

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

We can agree to disagree, Myers isn't even playing his best game but still is one of our better dmen, there's no way anyone recently acquired is playing their best yet, still new to the team and to our systems but when they put it together it will be even better but even now is miles ahead of our pathetic D we had last year and that's why I consider them home runs even now.. 

All Ferland needs is a bit more time to get 100% then he'll be back to his old self like last year with the Canes whom their fans raved about.. man we're just getting started, I'm just stoked to see this team in 7-10 games tops.. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think running at 8 out of 12 cylinders is more than I'd give it maybe 50%, even with our crappy D last year we were winning like crazy out of the gates with next to no depth when injuries happened and we sunk like a rock..  your right in saying out team this year is sooooo much better and finally some depth for a change since JB stocked up pretty well and even at goal and I bet Kielly makes it tough to choose who our back up will be when Demko takes over and he's developing on a crappy Kalamazoo team and will see a lot of pucks.. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, his production was 2nd line level in only one of his last 3 years. Last year, on a very deep Tampa team where his icetime was 9th among forwards, his 47 points were 108th among NHL forwards, which (keeping in mind that there are 93 first line forward positions) was high 2nd line level

The previous 2 years, however, his 56 points and 58 points were 53rd and 72nd among NHL forwards, or unquestionably first line production. And his points per 60 minutes played has been in the top 93 for NHL forwards for each of the last 3 years.

So actually, many people would agree that it is not that appropriate to label Miller a 2nd line player, given the fact that his productivity is consistently first line level. But of course, calling him a third line player is completely ludicrous.

I have pointed these facts before. Which of them are you purporting to have difficulty understanding?

absolute beauty of a post 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

President - Past player with no experience yep

Rookie GM's - Yes to both teams

Rookie AHL coaches -  Familiar

Old friends and family hired for front office - Right on.

Misses on first round picks - Vancouver is in the lead there by percentage

Number of draft picks traded away - Vancouver is in the lead.

Number of years as the worst team in the league - a tie over a 4 year period

One thing to take note of is Edmonton had many fingers in the pie to help screw them up, Vancouver has had only one, Benning and yet

Almost correct, the order is wrong though, JB will lose the job and then it will need to be blown up. Hopefully it will be a Colorado type of rebuild, if so the team will be moving Horvat and maybe Boeser or Hughes for first round picks over the next 3 to 4 years.

This is not a wish, more of a prediction.

But who knows maybe enough teams will tank that it makes it look like the team is ready to battle for the cup.

and what say you now ????

i stand by my commentary made in this thread

none of what i said was in any sense an exaggeration

mostly just writing down what i saw happen since last season

and assessing the quality moves made by this organization

mostly announced through jb

and the team exceeded where i thought they were at

you appear to have a bit of an exaggerated negative view about jb and this team he has built

i hope you can get over that

so you can fully enjoy this rapidly improving team

:metal:

Edited by coastal.view