The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Can We All Agree That The Offseason Was a Smashing Success for JB

Rate this topic

coastal.view

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

When JB drafted Podkolzin at 10th overall (when he was widely rated as a top 3-5 pick) I said JB should get an extension.  Then he followed it up with getting Miller, Ferland, Benn, and Myers.  And Aquaman listened.  :P

ice hockey sport GIF by NHL

:lol:He is a good pick, but who else? Unless he has some serious problems that had other GM's found out something. Going from #2 to #10 was a godsend for Benning if the kid is as good as he looked last year. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

:lol:He is a good pick, but who else? Unless he has some serious problems that had other GM's found out something. Going from #2 to #10 was a godsend for Benning if the kid is as good as he looked last year. 

That's the kicker...GMs want young studs in the line-up right away.  No patience to let them develop their game (see previous EDM GM Chia-pet for example).  2yrs developing in KHL is sorta like 2 yrs in the AHL.  Allowing the prospect to grow into his frame and refine his craft.  Glad JB looking at the long game instead of immediate gratification.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Dynasty Jim. 

I totally agree @apollo

JB has built a really good team for the now, and as our older guys age out (or become too expensive) we can continue to replace them with younger and cheaper players who are coming up through the system.  This allows us to keep our key core pieces, and keep the dynasty rolling along to Cups.  I see three Cups for our guys over the next decade.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m looking forward to the regular season when the Orca goes to Alberta and beats the Oilers and Flames, then goes to Toronto and beats the Leafs. Brian Hayes the Overdrive Radio host in Toronto calls the Orca a brutal team.

The leafs have 4 players that are half their cap. That is what I call brutal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree @apollo

JB has built a really good team for the now, and as our older guys age out (or become too expensive) we can continue to replace them with younger and cheaper players who are coming up through the system.  This allows us to keep our key core pieces, and keep the dynasty rolling along to Cups.  I see three Cups for our guys over the next decade.  

The future success of this team is going to really depend on those younger and cheaper guys coming up through the system. Especially when we have to pay bigger money to Petey, Hughes, Boeser, etc.

As compared to the Leafs current predicament, this is where JB's drafting - if all develops as planned - will be the difference in long term sustainable success.

I think the Miller, Ferland, Myers contracts, also Beagle, reflect that window before we start to see the emergence of Gaudette, Podz, Hoglander, etc, also Brisebois, Rafferty, etc, while guys like Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Eriksson, and Baer peel away or are dealt. 

You can see and conceptualize it but the thing is, right now we still need a lot of guys to pan out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, oldnews said:

I won't argue with that.

I think the Edler deal, to start, was an excellent deal, particularly the two year term.

Not everyone liked (to put it mildly) the JT Miller deal, but I really like the player, the fit and am comfortable with the price.  You simply can't get young guys entering their prime, signed to those terms without giving up reasonable asset value.

The Myers, Benn, and Ferland signings, imo were all excellent values, excellent fits and good risks - all of them well below projected UFA market values.  Very opportune, timely signings by the organization.

Hard not to like the Motte, Leivo and Goldobin deals - all very reasonable/affordable depth deals.

The draft - hard not to be thrilled with Podkolzin and Hoglander.

And an excellent bridge deal for Boeser.

I couldn't care less how the eastern Leaf fluffer media represent that body of work - as a fan of this team I got pretty much everything - and exactly - what I wanted.  If it doesn't work out, I have no complaints (and no grounds to).

Having said that - success is measured after the puck drops.

At the same time, the time to take an honest position is when it happens - before the results - the rest is nothing but hindsighting.

I have to completely agree.  

The cherry was Boesers signing.  JV gave me some sprinkles when he spotted two against the flames.  It's only preseason, but it still feels good. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

JB- Moniker should be it's good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

JB- Is lucky because no one took EP before the Canucks.

JB- Is good because he had the guts to take EP 

Canucks roster now boosts (2) Calder winners, (1) recent  EP (1) older TM

A recent runner up for the Calder who's fluke injury is what cost him (within reason) and a possible candidate for Calder this year QH.

Free agents now want to sign in Vancouver, Okay maybe rose color glass' but I just want to enjoy the ride GCG

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Looks pretty damn good so far, although there are a few things that are still up in the air.

- Drafting Podkolzin, Hoglander, Keppen, Focht, Silovs, Plasek, Malone, McDonough and Costmar. Looks decent, although I'm not nearly as sold on Podkolzin as most others on this board. If he pans out as a top 6, then great. However, my worry is that he doesn't have the offensive upside to be a top 6 player and winds up topping out as a 3rd liner. Draft is obviously still up in the air, so we'll see.

- Signing Edler for 2 years at 6 mill per. Big win however you slice it.

- JT Miller trade. We definitely gave up a lot, but we received a very good player in return. A legitimate top 6 player in his mid 20s with a good attendance record that can play all 3 forward positions and play with a bit of snarl as well. I'll reserve judgement for now, but Miller definitely makes the team better.

- Myers signing for 5 years at 6 mill per. Pretty costly signing, but should solidify our right side pretty well, and the contract could have been a lot worse (remember 7x7?). Not a full no trade either. Had it been the suspected 7x7 I would have considered it a loss, but as it stands, I'll reserve judgement.

- Signing Ferland. 3.5 mill for 4 years is a pretty solid contract, especially for a player like Ferland that can produce and throw the body. Concussion issues are a concern, but he hasn't missed a significant amount of time due to concussion issues yet, so hopefully he can stay relatively healthy. Would have preferred 3 years, but I'll give this a win. 

- Failing to move Eriksson. Probably the only outright loss. It would have been nice to get at least part of his 6 mill off the books.

- Boeser contract. While we didn't get him locked up long term, this contract should work out pretty well for both sides. I'll consider it a win.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1