The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

No real chemistry and the top line was missing all game. 

Hughes had a rough season debut, but he wasn't alone.

I'd prefer energy guys over Sutter and Eriksson in the bottom 6, but we'll see what happens after a few games.

We were the better team, but had a slow start and a couple big errors.

Pretty awful game by every forward line other than the second. Almost every forward not on that line completely invisible. Sutter with the game ending turnover trying to spring Eriksson lmao. Unbelievable.

One off-season later and the PP despite having zone entry machines with the likes of Petey and Quinn, still cannot gain the zone. They still just do the EXACT SAME play EVERY time. Drop pass and move the puck laterally. And the Canucks struggled all of last season, never attempted to change. Yet again tonight they couldn't gain the zone with this absolute garbage strategy. 

The last goal from the Sutter turnover is just awful. Had all kinds of possession with time and trying to spring Eriksson with no passing lane to begin with. Horrible.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Grape said:

The winning goal was 50% on Sutter, 50% on Hughes.

On that goal, Hughes' issue wasn't bad defensive play: he got a stick on the puck against of the best players in the league. The issue was that he should've been more engaged. I've been saying this since his time at Michigan: Hughes doesn't have much of a motor. He's smooth and skilled and fast but doesn't play with a "fire." Long story short,  he didn't defend hard enough there.

Otherwise, I genuinely think he had a very solid game.

Hughes was arguably the best canuck all night. And he had more of a motor then half the team...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

We didn’t look good tonight. Also here for the over reactions 

I disagree.  We had a couple mistakes but we had a hell of a lot of chances that just missed the net and had possession time that just wasn’t there last season.  We’re becoming less of a transition team and more of a possession team which means we’ve taken a step towards contention in the near future.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Ferland was sleepy tonight. I expect a better performance next game.

Boeser man, his foot speed seems like it's holding him back. Always a step or two behind the play

TG coached the fight out of him, he’s practicing turning cheeks.

I know it's only the first game, but I was hoping Virt would come out with some fire. He was invisible. Granted, can't really generate offense when you're on the 4th line, but at least be physical.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3