The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why do top players require a premium payment to play for the leafs?

Rate this topic

what the past 1 year has clearly shown to nhl fans

is that top notch nhl talent require a premium in contract value to play for the leafs

this problem, which appears to be on par with what many players require to play for the oilers and jets, is puzzling

the centre of the universe is not able to attract quality talent at fair market value contracts

is the city that awful to live in?

are the fan there that intolerable?

is mike babcock that demanding of a coach?

is the past half century performance of that franchise that big of a stain?

so many quality nhl players are born and raised in ontario

and one would think they'd be happy to return "home" to play for the leafs

but this really does not appear to be the case

despite my comment above, even mcdavid reportedly refused a higher value contract from the oilers

and insisted on a team friendly aav of 12.5 million

we hear none of this coming from the better leaf players

looking for answers here

our local team is able to sign good players at team sensible value contracts

leafs are not

please explain

I believe Tavares turned down better contracts to play with the Leafs.

As for Marner, Matthews and the other guy, I think the Leafs overpaid, and the agents knew they could make that happen.  I have a feeling that wouldn't have been the case if Lamoriello had still been in charge.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

They probably have the richest owners in Canada if not the rest of the league.  Also they know they'll have no chance at winning a cup so....^_^

but statistical odds would indicate

all things being equal

that in a 30 team league a team should be able to win a cup in a 50 year span

and also make it to an additional cup final where they lose

the nucks are a prime example of this...3 finals in 50 years, no cup victories yet though

and that is with a 30 team league, there were less teams over the past 50 years

toronto's success is limited to what? 1 conference final in 50 seasons?

rich owners should make little difference now given the salary cap

it equalizes the financial things between teams

the leafs problem is that in a cap system they are severely hampered

having to pay a significant salary premium to retain their best players

i appreciate the tavares signing is a little different

maybe i should have focused my comments on the rfas drafted and recently re-signed by toronto

it is clear that in the nba landscape toronto is not a desired destination

maybe the reasons nba players express

can be applied to nhl player views about toronto?

Edited by coastal.view

It's an interesting question. I'm sure that high income tax + cost of living contributes. Will be interesting to see what happens with Petey and Hughes, as well as Brock once his bridge deal is done... Vancouver income tax rate isn't that far behind Ontario and I'm sure cost of living is same or higher. 

Edit: also there's the "i have to live in Toronto" tax. very important to consider.

Edited by awalk
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

I think it's a product of player agents realizing the Dubas has very little negotiating skill.

Excellent point.  Dubass messed up the Leaf's internal cap with the AM extension and the JT signing.  Then he had to over pay for WM and MM.  The Leafs are totally screwed going forward.  They need to trade AM, but (with the pants down character issue, and his cap hit and coming to UFA so quickly) does AM have a lot of value?  Would Arizona trade OEL for AM?  I don't think so.  Those high cap hits for their four top forwards makes it so those guys would be extremely hard to trade, and get back equal player value.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

It's an interesting question. I'm sure that high income tax + cost of living contributes. Will be interesting to see what happens with Petey and Hughes, as well as Brock once his bridge deal is done... Vancouver income tax rate isn't that far behind Ontario and I'm sure cost of living is same or higher. 

Edit: also there's the "i have to live in Toronto" tax. very important to consider.

i agree that those things are not yet known

well except for brock perhaps

he was a rfa who signed a bridge deal that is very different what the leaf players signed

but there does not seem to be the same hardline approach here that is being displayed in toronto

and except for marner, who made it clear he really wanted to stay in toronto

and still demanded a clear premium to remain there

the indications from canucks players is that they really want to be here

and appear to really want to play with their team mates

again, we are not hearing those sorts of comments coming from players in toronto

matthews demanded a contract that results in him being an ufa at the end of that deal

and nylander simply left the team and stayed in europe while his team mates played almost 3 months of hockey

• Like 1

I think the rabid media is a big factor. Guys like Matthews and Marner are depicted as Gods, their agents seem to have all the leverage. Matthews got the exact money and term he wanted, it's as if Dubas didn't even negotiate. And because Marner has arguably been just as good (if not better, or at least healthier) he had every right to ask for similar numbers.

Can't help but think that Lou would have played hardball and done a much better job at the negotiations than Dubas. His view on hockey was probably more in line with their current coach's, as well.

Wouldn't be shocked if there were some major changes if they get bounced early again this year.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I think the rabid media is a big factor. Guys like Matthews and Marner are depicted as Gods, their agents seem to have all the leverage.

Can't help but think that Lou would have played hardball and done a much better job at the negotiations than Dubas. His view on hockey was probably more in line with their current coach's, as well.

Wouldn't be shocked if there weren't some major changes if they get bounced early again this year.

image.png.c9d26af614515f36ddff05ba3b39b9cb.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I think the rabid media is a big factor. Guys like Matthews and Marner are depicted as Gods, their agents seem to have all the leverage. Matthews got the exact money and term he wanted, it's as if Dubas didn't even negotiate. And because Marner has arguably been just as good (if not better, or at least healthier) he had every right to ask for similar numbers.

Wouldn't be shocked if there were some major changes if they get bounced early again this year.

your views accord with what the majority appear to be saying

but this does assume a somewhat distorted business market in toronto

why would a sophisticated business entity overpay for player services

this same operation runs an nba team as well which has been very prudent with contract values

the majority view is that the distortion is due to a rookie gm who can be pushed around

but he is overseen by a president and board that would need to approve such massive deals

and they are approved

seems to me there is in fact more going on

and these contract premiums must be due to something else

they seem to indicate a reluctance of top young players to re-sign with the leafs

without a bump above market value in pay

so what is this negative value in the toronto hockey operations that requires a premium payment be made as an enticement so that top young talent will re-sign with the team?

Edited by coastal.view

41 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The Islanders have had Lou for a short time and made huge strides. They have a players coach and an "organizational" GM, where there's an instant identity and players to match that.

They look pretty good this year so far, when on paper you might pick them for cellar dweller with a couple great players.

Contrast to the Leafs where they're a rudderless team in a storm helmed by an "owner" who bought the boat at above asking and a captain who wanted a different boat. Meanwhile the deckhands are all getting paid mad whether they catch anything or not.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

is the city that awful to live in?

are the fan there that intolerable?

is mike babcock that demanding of a coach?

is the past half century performance of that franchise that big of a stain?

I haven't been to toronto, but I would assume so based on what I've heard from people who lived there.

Yes, the fans are epicly terrible, but I'm sure you already knew that.

All pro sports coaches are demanding.

Longest skidmark in NHL history.

• Cheers 1