The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 01, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It’s amazing how people who don’t understand the game only look to the last line of defence as the breakdown when a goal is scored

back up the bus to identify the root cause of the goal, Bo tried to trap their players on the ice while getting 2 of our players off the ice. Our bench was on the Anaheim net side of the ice and Bo ends up retreating to our blue line allowing Anaheim to get fresh legs in the ice. That is a 3 on 3 cardinal sin 

stop blaming Marky, who happened to play yet another spectacular game, blame our “can do no wrong” captain. Again, I love Bo but he messed up on the play 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Was Gaudette in the lineup? U will have to be more visible then that to keep baer out Adam .

He had the most energy of any F in my opinion and just happened to score our only goal. Was a good night for him, even took over for the invisible Virtanen. Writing is on the wall with Jake, inconsistant player, doesnt play physical enough. Going to be a bottom 6 depth guy and that is it....for the Canucks anyway, sucks that such a high pick has turned out to be so inconsistant but just seems like he doesn't have the on ice knowledge at the best level to be a top 6 guy and or the coach feels that way.

• Upvote 1

This was a trap game.

Got some good press for their play lately and feeling overconfident.

PP was hot against LA.

Spent Halloween in LA, probably not the best thing for a game the next day.

Playing a team that is supposed to be poor, but has exceeded expectations and has a goalie that has an unworldly save percentage at home.

Was always going to be a tough one.  On to SJ, hopefully they respond like they did to the Washington loss.

45 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Missed the game.  Did Gibson stand on his head?

That would be an understatement. 

He played really well. He looked poised and didnt give away too many rebounds.

We peppered him with a lot of shots tho..

We had some good opportunities but also had some low % shots..

In the end, we couldnt convert. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Apricot said:

Frustrating game but at least we got a point and my magic is still working so thats a plus 

Please never leave this site, we'll hang your bunny jersey in the CDC digital rafters one day. Apricot, rally caller, shut out destroyer. Cheers B)

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I had a bad feeling going in last night.

Maybe it was the tone of some fans. Mocking Guddy and Del Zotto pre-game, and already chalking up a V, when those two ex Nucks has been playing alright. 

May have made the hockey gods annoyed.

Team played well, anything can happen in 3 on 3.

Got a point, on to the next.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I had a bad feeling going in last night.

Maybe it was the tone of some fans. Mocking Guddy and Del Zotto pre-game, and already chalking up a V, when those two ex Nucks has been playing alright. 

May have made the hockey gods annoyed.

Team played well, anything can happen in 3 on 3.

Got a point, on to the next.

Sharks are scary.  They have three for sure Hall of Fame greats.  

Now we will win, right? :gocan:

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jam126 said:

I remember a recent game in SJ where it was just PP for close to 40 minutes. It was a tire fire. Officiating needs to be upgraded in this league and referees should be held accountable.

All part of the Bettman's "market the game to compete with the other Professional Sports in a a high population area" strategy. I assume only LA get unbiased reffing this year because they want a higher draft pick to rebuild. I'm reminded of San Jose in 2013, what a gong show.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Really? Brian Burke just called Markstrom the best goalie in the entire NHL right now. But I guess like most you know better than Brian Burke. Maybe you should have your own hockey radio show.

Didn’t Burke say that Kevin Weeks was the goalie of our future?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

All part of the Bettman's "market the game to compete with the other Professional Sports in a a high population area" strategy. I assume only LA get unbiased reffing this year because they want a higher draft pick to rebuild. I'm reminded of San Jose in 2013, what a gong show.

Doesn’t Butman even use the word “manage” the game instead of ref?  

Gotta say I loved our team effort last night, but I believe Gibson got into their heads. They were trying to be too perfect during the PP, thus clenching and messing up plays. Overthinking things basically...but a good goalie who is is ON will do that to a team. Gibson was already in their heads half way through the first period, every PP they had they were trying too hard. They are way better at the PP when they don't think and just keep the puck cycling and getting shots on net...PP was waaaayyy too static last night and easy to defend. Hopefully that is fixed for the game tonight. 

• Upvote 1

We all saw the game - we outplayed them for most of it. Ducks are a big heavy team . 3 on 3 is pretty much anyones game. We have 3 out of 4 points on this road trip and 2 up for grabs tonight.  Hope the Sharks are bagged.

Like some on here - I think the game winner was Gibson - great goalie

And for whatever reason - we just didn't seem as connected as the Kings game - our passes weren't as crisp - lots of fumbling the puck - yada yada -lets take that point and move on

• Upvote 1

I found the game so disjointed because the amount of penalties.  It seemed like 2/3rds of the 3rd period was all special teams.  The refs wrecked this game.  If you weren't on special teams, you didn't get much ice time.

• Upvote 1

My thoughts on the game last night

We out shot the Ducks badly especially in the first period. In games where we do that and don't get a lead to show for it we are usually going to lose.

I am not sure what the trio of Canucks were doing on the first Ducks goal but that just looked like a tire fire.No one wanted the puck or they thought the other guy would get it. No one blocked out the Duck.

Gibson stole that game and the Ducks are like the Canucks. When their goalie plays like that they are tough to beat. Markstrom played well, got beat for the first goal by a great shot, took away a couple others. I didn't like the charging out on the breakaway but he has played so well the last few months of last season and the start of this that I can let it go. It really looked like a bad decision.

The team seemed to sag the minute Hughes got hurt. There was no ability to move the puck and Edler just is not good enough on the first unit power play. He doesn't move well enough to replace Hughes. Stecher might have been a better replacement with that group. Leave Edler with the group he practices with.

That Duck team is built to win games 2-1. Big hard nosed team, hard on the puck , tough to move them. They got lucky that the Canucks didn't finish a couple times but they played their game to a tee.

Sometimes you play well and don't win. That was last night. We played a pretty good game against a tough team and came out with a point.

I keep saying we have to take more points off of the California teams than we give away to make the playoffs.We got three of four last night but gave up 2 so we are one ahead of the curve going into tonight's game with the Sharks.In order to get more than we give we have to win this game. If we lose even with a loser point we still do not come out ahead. I am watching this trend all season.

7 hours ago, beni said:

Gibson played well, Canucks did not.

Stole a point at least, and that will help at the end of the regular season. 

Markstrom with a high risk move, whatever the guy has been outstanding. 

They will be hungry after that game. 

The Canucks dominated 2/3 of that game........I'm not sure people think they didn't play well

• Upvote 2