The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] Trading assets to win now?

Rate this topic

Wanless

Are you ok with trading picks and prospects?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This year the Canucks are doing everything right for their stage of rebuild, which needing no overhaul to any area suggests it's been accomplished.

The line up is looking deep, scoring coming from everywhere, team defense and the numbers to back it up and goaltending.

There is however a couple areas that still needs to be addressed. 

First is a RW for the second line 

Second is a defenceman that can replace Stetcher. It seems that Green isn't using him to his full value and could be worth more in return than the current value he brings to the team. We all saw his performance last year averaging 19.55 mins a game and how well he played and this year he is down to 13.29

These are the two areas that I can see an opening for improvement.

Options for trades that have value

Gaudette

Virtanen

Madden

Juolevi

Lind

Podkolzin

Picks

2020 second to seventh

2021 first to seventh

Etc 

If you feel like staying the course and not trading anything what is your reasoning?

If you would feel comfortable making trades who/what would be ok giving up and what would be addressed?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4

I honestly don’t want to see any trades this year. We got some player going off the books the following year. That and if we make the playoffs we already don’t have a 1st round pick. Ride this team to the end of the year imho. I think there will be more options to look at with the expansion draft looming next year 

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Stecher playing 13 mins is not a bad thing. He’s playing 3rd line D minutes which means we have a healthy top 4. This is a very positive thing to have.

Its too early to trade assets 

While I agree it's still early I also see that the team as is is competitive and young so it should stay competitive for years to come.

For trades I would think it's a bad idea to trade for rentals or anyone over 26. Ideal partners would be teams that have a strength and a log jam. Example would be the Golden Knights and their RW depth or the Sabres and their d surplus.

That is not saying we need to make trades but just always being on the lookout for opportunities

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

No way.  We aren't going to win a cup this year; our young core will have to take their lumps in the playoffs just like every other talented group. 

In order to make room for a 2nd line RW or an upgrade over Stecher, we need to create the cap space.  Either we're making another hole by trading someone useful, or giving up a ton of futures to get rid of LE, assuming we can even find a trading partner and he agrees to a deal.  Even worse, we have a cap crunch rapidly approaching with ELCs expiring for both EP40 and Hughes.  We will be very, very grateful for young, cheap talent once we reach that point.

We did that with Miller already. Our window just opened, let's not shorten it by continually trading away picks and prospects. We're going to need more young, talented players to filter in as other players move/are traded/are moved on from. 

The time to do something like that would be when we're further along and we've got Loui/Luongo/Spooner off our books. Not necessarily both, but at least one or the other. 

We're in a place where we've finally begun to accumulate talented prospect depth, let's keep doing that. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 4

The trade market is all over the place. Benning had to get a 1st to get JT Miller even though it was taking a contract. But it is a reasonable contract from the production we're getting. But others like Justin Faulk plus a 5th round pick,  involved a high end prospect, a mid level player, and a 7th round pick. 

So value is very subjective from the looks of it. The Salary Cap is making trades difficult. We've seen this offseason we had to let Hutton go for nothing. This is not because Benning failed to get a trade. It's just harder to make a deal for average players, because no one wants the cap hit. 

I will not be surprised if we see a lot more attrition of good young players taking spots on the team, and letting players go at the end of their contracts. Even though that makes the trade deadline day a lot more boring. 

• Upvote 1

This has some merit (the OP), it’s been a while since we’ve had a team quite like this.  Under the cap I’ve never been as excited.   That said it’s too early to know what we really have yet.   This thread would be a lot more appropriate closer to the TDL.   If we cruise right through winning at the same rate...well then hell yeah we try and improve but I’d keep it to minor tweaks.   We need our picks - if anything even if things look good at the TDL I’d think seriously about selling high on one or two guys.   JB is and needs to continue building for the future / we won’t see the best version of the team for a few years yet.   If I had to wager - I’d say we’d be saying goodbye to one or two guys - and see a rental coming back our way.  JB has already said there are ways to recover our first from the Miller trade.  No matter what I see us doing something this year. 

Edited by IBatch

I would only trade a young asset or pick for a player that would make sense for us; however, if that player doesn't show up, I don't see the point in just trading for the sake of trading. Let our team develop. We're clearly going to improve in the long run with or without a trade.

Really silly proposal.

First off we dont have the cap room, and would have to pay handsomely to get a team to take Loui. Dont forget  we have a tough winger coming off IR hopefully soon too... Right now we are rolling, hot goalie stopped last night but most games you outshoot and out chance the opponent you're going to win... We need to trade stecher because hes too good for bottom pairing??? Yeah lets trade our depth for more depth! We never have defensive injuries right??!

Edited by Davathor
  • Upvote 2

Why trade even for a right wing?  Virtanen's looking decent on the 2nd line right wing (on pace for 32 points, middle six production) and Sutter's got even more even though he'll probably slot back up the middle on the 3rd line.  We can just let Jake try to gel with Bo and Tanner more so their north south game can meld and they can keep crashing the net like they've been.  It'll be a much different look compared to the Lotto Line.  At the very least just keep things as they are now and try to find a fit before we do anything drastic.    P.S. 6000!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wanless said:

This year the Canucks are doing everything right for their stage of rebuild, which needing no overhaul to any area suggests it's been accomplished.

The line up is looking deep, scoring coming from everywhere, team defense and the numbers to back it up and goaltending.

There is however a couple areas that still needs to be addressed. 

First is a RW for the second line 

Second is a defenceman that can replace Stetcher. It seems that Green isn't using him to his full value and could be worth more in return than the current value he brings to the team. We all saw his performance last year averaging 19.55 mins a game and how well he played and this year he is down to 13.29

These are the two areas that I can see an opening for improvement.

Options for trades that have value

Gaudette

Virtanen

Madden

Juolevi

Lind

Podkolzin

Picks

2020 second to seventh

2021 first to seventh

Etc 

If you feel like staying the course and not trading anything what is your reasoning?

If you would feel comfortable making trades who/what would be ok giving up and what would be addressed?

This team is not even close to finishing their rebuild nor are they ready to contend for a cup. It took Burke and Quinn and another two to three years before their team could contend. Gillis took over what Burke started. Who do you plan to expose for the expansion draft? When your only allow to keep 7 forwards 3 defencemen and one goaltender/? In a cap era we can't afford  to be giving up rentals for draft picks or top prospects. In a Couple years when we get rid some of the aging vets and their salaries we are going to need players like Gaudette, Joulivi. Podkolzin, And hopefully Madden to step in and take over.

Edited by canacks1970

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It would have to be a Mark Stone type of player young enough that you’re signing him to be a part of your long term future. Somebody mentioned Taylor Hall. Say he came with a reasonable extension.

with what salary cap ? we cant just add 3-7 million dollar salary  ,  if loui , baer where traded first then maybe we could  pick up a 2-4 million dollar player  but we already have lots of those so we are better standing pat , or it will be a lateral trade  salary for salary  , do you want to end up like sharks and have karllsson for 8 years   even the sharks fans boo him lol

• Upvote 1