The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, you’re a fan. But why the Canucks?

Rate this topic

_Henrik_

Born and raised here, grew up with the home town team.

Grew up in a family where basketball (Jordan's Bulls) was the main sport on tv.  Dad tuned into the '94 run when I was a kid and I fell in love.  I remember my brother and I collecting The Province posters during the run and putting them up in our room.  Was always excited for my dad to come home from work with the paper to see who we'd be putting up next.  He's still got a VHS recording of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.  This game brought our family together and as a kid I didn't even realize it.  

Just like @debluvscanucks this team is home.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wanless said:

WHL

Yes, I actually think it was a player on the Edmonton Flyers that really piqued my interest in the game. I really thought a player with a name like Bronco Horvath was really cool. Although "Gump" Worsley on our team was pretty cool as well.

LOL....kind of feels like I have gone full circle from Bronvo Horvath to Bo Horvat

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Born and raised in East Van. I would sneak

a transistor radio into bed as a kid so i could listen to the games (that started at 8pm!!)

First Canucks game.... lived in East Van, near Wally's Burgers which was on Kingsway at that time. I was 11...parents didn't feel like making dinner so they sent me to Wally's to get burgers and fries at around 7pm. Walked to Wally's and in the parking lot I found 2 tickets to that night's game vs the Islanders. 

Wasn't sure what to do with the tickets, so I picked them up...ordered/got the food and went home. Showed them to my Dad....we ate, and went back to Wally's in the car, with my younger brother in tow. No one had come forward looking for the lost tickets. We waited until 8pm, and Dad said...looks like you're going to the game.

He (seemingly) raced down Earles/Renfrew St... gave us $10 bucks for the concession and told us he would meet us outside the door when the game was over. We got there halfway through the first period. I was in awe....the lights, the players in real life, the noise of the crowd...all of it was amazing!

No idea who won lol

that is the best story

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Was born in Inveremere and my uncle Don was a die heart fan and he would get me to watch taped games with Bure and Linden. 

But moved to Manitoba and they didn't have the jets but we had the mouse , so I went to Wpg acouple times to watched the mouse

32270A26-A276-4AFA-B5C4-D2C37C652AEC.jpeg.6d94ce7ca5ad85ee2c8f3cb84867d180.jpeg

I remember those few seasons when the Moose were awesome. It was an exciting time for the org with that move and all the hype. 

A Moose game would have been fun to see. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I was about 3 yrs old, my step dad was screaming at the tv with such passion I couldn't fall asleep.

I came downstairs from my room as he unleashed a string of profanities so pure and uninhibited, words I'd never heard before poured out his mouth with such fire I was determined to know what they meant and why he yelled them whilst waiving one of Mom's dish cloths in the air.

That was 1982. 

I've been a fan ever since.

Love this.  This is what it's all about.  

Great thread...really enjoy reading everyone's stories of how it all began.  After all the crap on here lately, it's super refreshing and positive.

We are all profanity screaming, dishtowel waving Canucks!!

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, _Henrik_ said:

As a Swede, I’ve had my eyes on the Canucks throughout the years.

There's been a fairly strong connection with Sweden going back to the Thomas Gradin days (who is still with the team as the associate chief amateur scout) to 1978.  Lars Lindgren (who also became a Canuck that same year in 1979) is also still with the team as a professional scout.  Lindgren was a solid defensive defenseman for the Canucks.  Actually, the kind we sort of need right now.  Anders Eldebrink was a offensive defenseman that I  think we gave up on too soon.  I think he ended up having a pretty respectable career back home in the SEL.

Actually, Gradin's contribution goes far beyond the lengthy career he has had as a Canuck.  Being largely responsible for scouting (and getting the GM to draft) Mattias Öhlund, Alexander Edler, and of course the Sedins.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I was about 3 yrs old, my step dad was screaming at the tv with such passion I couldn't fall asleep.

I came downstairs from my room as he unleashed a string of profanities so pure and uninhibited, words I'd never heard before poured out his mouth with such fire I was determined to know what they meant and why he yelled them whilst waiving one of Mom's dish cloths in the air.

That was 1982. 

I've been a fan ever since.

When I read this I heard Ralph's narrator voice from a Christmas story. 

My dad was always quite loud. He got away with it because my mom was a nurse and worked nights and was gone before the game started

I get loud, then the wife tells me I'm losing my mind. She doesn't know how right she is

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I remember those few seasons when the Moose were awesome. It was an exciting time for the org with that move and all the hype. 

A Moose game would have been fun to see. 

F&!$ing Autocorrect! 

Thx for catching that. 

They were my fav time was during lockout and kes burr and juice and just how they played hard and played hard for each other. 

I always wished the Canucks played like the MOOSE and now they are starting to play like that team but there still missing a piece of two. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was actually a flames fan as a young kid. I took interest during their 2004 cup run. It was the first time I was truly hooked to hockey. When hockey came back due to a lockout, I noticed I only got canuck games so I started casually watching. Into the 2006-07 season, I got extremely hooked due to Luongos amazing season and playoff run. Hooked ever since, can’t stand the flames now. The Canucks became a part of my personality. I am known as the guy that loves the Canucks and even have the Johnny Canuck with the V tattooed on my back. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Absolutely love this team and I always will. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, rychicken said:

Born and raised in East Van. I would sneak

a transistor radio into bed as a kid so i could listen to the games (that started at 8pm!!)

First Canucks game.... lived in East Van, near Wally's Burgers which was on Kingsway at that time. I was 11...parents didn't feel like making dinner so they sent me to Wally's to get burgers and fries at around 7pm. Walked to Wally's and in the parking lot I found 2 tickets to that night's game vs the Islanders. 

Wasn't sure what to do with the tickets, so I picked them up...ordered/got the food and went home. Showed them to my Dad....we ate, and went back to Wally's in the car, with my younger brother in tow. No one had come forward looking for the lost tickets. We waited until 8pm, and Dad said...looks like you're going to the game.

He (seemingly) raced down Earles/Renfrew St... gave us $10 bucks for the concession and told us he would meet us outside the door when the game was over. We got there halfway through the first period. I was in awe....the lights, the players in real life, the noise of the crowd...all of it was amazing!

No idea who won lol

that was close to me. i grew up around joyce road and kingsway went to carlton school and then gladstone. went to wally’s lots. also harry’s hamburger joint. 

• Upvote 1

My Dad had followed the team since 94 when i was first born.  Being born into a Chinese family, hockey was very foreign, but we fell in love with the game and team thanks to 94 playoff run.

I didn't start becoming interested in the Canucks until 1999, when the Sedins were drafted.  My dad told me they would be something special after we watched their first preseason game.  Boy was he right.  Ever since, I grew up watching and fantasizing myself as part of the WCE.