The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

9 hours ago, KKnight said:

Only way i see this happening is if Sutter is going the other way, with a Lockwood type prospect and a pick. Way too many forwards for not enough spots. 

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Leivo

Roussel - Gauds - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Simmonds

Ex. Loui "empty net" Eriksson, Schaller

I still dont think that line up is good enough to win more than a round. Missing one more game breaking forward and a rock steady dman, who is defensively responsible. 

That seems like a lot to pay considering the last two years that Simmonds has played. He is still young enough that a change of scenery should help his game but I think that either or of Sutter or Lockwood is enough and no pick should be included.

I dunno... kinda like ericksson... 20/30 goal scorer and looks to be falling off a cliff production wise.... should scare most of us away after watching ericksson the last few years...

But pearson turned it around coming here...

I'd rather not myself unless its to get out of erickssons contract somehow without giving up much... 

Also doubt there is much pressure for nj to take on bad contracts to get rid of an ufa

Definitely dropped off the last couple years. If you gotta shut Ferland down for the year I'd have some interest. But it really depends on the ask. They'd of course also likely have to retain. 116 hits in 53 games, that instantly puts him ahead of everyone on our team. By at least a 20 point margin. Although Motter has a higher hit per game ratio, but his hits are pretty weak.

Simmonds would give us a legit physical presence in the absence of Ferland. I'd rather see him with Bo and Pearson if the coaching staff is deadset against playing Boeser there. Miller, Virtanen and Simmonds would be our leading hitters playing 3 different lines. Can cause some problems for the other team having to match our talent as well as our physicality. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

He's a pending UFA that would be a depth pick up. I don't think we're talking any serious assets here. Maybe the rights to Tryamkin or Lockwood and a 6th rounder gets it done?

I like him too but there's no way we're trading with Edmonton. 

Didn't know he was a pending ufa. That would not be bad then too pursue. 

31 yr old rental, big but slow and nowhere near what he once was. I'd only do this if Eriksson was involved but to be fair even Loui's playing a decent role for us now.

Our 2nd line needs a playmaker alongside Bo and Pearson who plays well defensively. Leivo locked that spot down nicely anyway.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly why not beartschi+ for him? Give bear a shot somewhere else and clear 3.36 mil off the books for next year.. 

No one wants Baer for that cap cost.  Any plus to dump Baer’s contract would be way more than we can afford.  Simmons will cost a second if Jersey retains salary, or a third if they don’t.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Just watching the Ottawa/Winnipeg game.  A Jet player got boarded by Tkachuk, Wheeler fought him right away.   We don't have enough players like Wheeler............and Brady Tkachuk.

Totally agree.  And if the other guy doesn’t want to fight then too bad.  Send him to the hospital.  

IMO we’re way too nice a team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

31 yr old rental, big but slow and nowhere near what he once was. I'd only do this if Eriksson was involved but to be fair even Loui's playing a decent role for us now.

Our 2nd line needs a playmaker alongside Bo and Pearson who plays well defensively. Leivo locked that spot down nicely anyway.

Big?  Haha...simmonds is 185 pounds.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No one wants Baer for that cap cost.  Any plus to dump Baer’s contract would be way more than we can afford.  Simmons will cost a second if Jersey retains salary, or a third if they don’t.  

I'll be surprised if any team offers a 2nd round pick to rent Simmonds - and if they do, I think that's a good point at which to tap out of that negotiation.

You never know - there are still about 22 teams in the playoff races - but how many are realistic contenders - and how many of those have the need for Simmonds, the space for Simmonds, and the appetite for that kind of price?   How many buyers / how many sellers?  Somewhat unclear at this point.

But here is the coming UFA (potential rental) class.....

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

I think the bottom line is likely to see where that real cost falls - I would guess lower - but this team is in a pretty good position to be in regardless - even if their injured guys don't return, they might have viable options in Utica as well. 

One other guy I might look at is Nate Thompson.

Great left handed faceoff guy - physical - tough - veteran.   That may be another way to bolster the lineup.

Move Sutter to 3C - put Thompson and Beagle together....they have more freedom with that 2nd line - and an unreal 1-2 faceoff punch R/L on Beagle's shutdown line.

EP Miller Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Thompson Beagle MacEwen

(LE, Schaller)

[Motte, Ferland, Leivo]

Virtanen can help drive that top line

Easier matchups for Horvat's line / better opportunty for Boeser

Two way punch on the 3rd, while 'protecting' Gaudette

Unreal 4th line - particularly if they get Motte back - if not, still very hard to play against.

Edited by oldnews

On 2/6/2020 at 4:08 PM, aGENT said:

We already have a glut of forwards and Ferland and Levio presumably returning. Not that I'd be opposed to adding him (assuming low acquisition cost) but we'd need to move some extra bodies out IMO to even think about adding another depth F.

exactly, they have too many depth fwds as it is, even if Ferland doesn't make it back.

The more I think about Nate Thompson - the more I'd be looking into making that deal happpen (and don't expect 90% of these boards to 'get it').

He is about as good 'insurance' imo as will be available at reasonable price - he not only fortifies the bottom 6, but he could make a potential key loss - ie Beagle or Sutter manageable.  As it is imo if the team losses another one of their hard to play against forwards - at center - and it's in trouble.

Adding another heavy forward, faceoff and shutdown guy would mean not having to rely on a guy like Pearson - who could save that jump for 2nd line secondary scoring.

I also think I'd move Roussel - moveable cap imo - and do it promptly - at this deadline.

It's not that I don't like him as a player, but that is cap that could be cleared, probably even bring a return (that may in part be used to move other cap) and in the end, I'm not sure a hungry young player like MacEwen doesn't bring what Roussel can/does.  In the meantime they have LE to placehold, Schaller as a 13th man, and the return of any of Motte, Ferland or Leivo pushes LE out of the lineup....

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The more I think about Nate Thompson - the more I'd be looking into making that deal happpen (and don't expect 90% of these boards to 'get it').

He is about as good 'insurance' imo as will be available at reasonable price - he not only fortifies the bottom 6, but he could make a potential key loss - ie Beagle or Sutter manageable.  As it is imo if the team losses another one of their hard to play against forwards - at center - and it's in trouble.

Adding another heavy forward, faceoff and shutdown guy would mean not having to rely on a guy like Pearson - who could save that jump for 2nd line secondary scoring.

I also think I'd move Roussel - moveable cap imo - and do it promptly - at this deadline.

It's not that I don't like him as a player, but that is cap that could be cleared, probably even bring a return (that may in part be used to move other cap) and in the end, I'm not sure a hungry young player like MacEwen doesn't bring what Roussel can/does.  In the meantime they have LE to placehold, Schaller as a 13th man, and the return of any of Motte, Ferland or Leivo pushes LE out of the lineup....

I wonder if he'd be a fit with CBJ... they have the cap space and are still in a good position in the standings to add. 

• Upvote 1