The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] - Wild threaten to trade more players

grandmaster

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1944880

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin means business in his first season with the team.

Guerin warned his club Tuesday that more trades may be on the horizon, just one day after dealing veteran Jason Zucker to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I can promise you this: if there is quit, there will be more trades," Guerin told reporters. "I wholeheartedly expect this team to compete for a playoff spot, we're right there. If there's any signs of anybody taking their foot off the gas, that will be an indication."

The Wild received Alex Galchenyuk, as well as a top prospect and first-round draft pick for Zucker.

Guerin knows he needs to match the effort he's asking for from his players if the team is to make a postseason run.

"We're going to do our best, we know where we stand right now and what we need to address and we'll keep working towards it," Guerin added. "Like I've said in the past, I'm not going to make trades just to try to make trades and fabricate something that's not good enough. If a deal makes sense we'll do it. If it doesn't, then we'll be patient and we'll wait."

The Wild sit in sixth place in the Central Division with a 26-23-6 record, but are just five points out of the second wild-card spot.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Interesting way to talk to your team. 

I have a feeling the Wild are not done with the trades and if he thinks that team will make the playoffs, why would he trade Zucker for prospects and a pick (Galchenyuk is not gonna help them)???

I'd get talking to the team in the locker room or at a team dinner at Red Lobster, but to use the press as, essentially, a megaphone to the team, is a bad idea.

Guerin should be happy with the team. They beat the Canucks, the top team in the Pacific. That should count for something.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It's hard to sell off a top 6 winger for futures (Galchenyuk definitely is not the main attraction in Minnesota's return) and then say "Now play your asses off to make the playoffs or I'll trade you too!". 

Tomorrow he trades Suter and Parise. Then schedules another presser "You see! I told you I was serious! Now play goddamn you! PLAY!!!!!!!!" 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

LOL, this is posturing so when the team inevitably misses the playoffs he can say publicly that he tried everything and the owners will back the 're-build' which is badly needed there. 

Unless the look at his method as the cockamamie idea that it is.

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Interesting way to talk to your team. 

I have a feeling the Wild are not done with the trades and if he thinks that team will make the playoffs, why would he trade Zucker for prospects and a pick (Galchenyuk is not gonna help them)???

In that same interview he said he has no intention of making a trade just for the sake of making a trade.  He was simply asked if he spoke to the team to make sure they don't just give up on their season.  He expects them to continue to play hard.  

Fwiw Wild owner Leipold doesn't want to make the playoffs for the sake of making the playoffs.  He wants to win a Cup and Guerin has carte blanche to build a legit contending team.  

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Man, if he could actually move Suter or Parise's contract, I might think there's a method to the madness. 

That would be irresponsible.  They are recapture contracts - like the one of Luongo.  In case of a trade they would face significant penalties in case of an early retirement with no possibility to influence the decision.

Edited by mll