The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

The more I think about it, Im really really liking the trade for Toffoli. I know Madden is going to be a good player, I get that, but as stated by many people, he isn't going to be overtaking taking any of the 1st to 3rd line centre spots, and probably has 2-3 years before you can say Madden is a full timer in this league. I know we didn't expect it but the window for us to win has opened half way and you have to take chance to make some noise with a weak western division. Also, look at the team we have right now, we have 3 top-4 calibre Dmen ( I know theyve been suspect as of late) and 1 superstar on the blueline, one of the best goalies this year so far. There is absolutely NO guarantee in 2-3 years that will have that depth in the blueline and in goal as I don't think Woo, Juolevi etc. are going to contributors to the extent of Tanev and Edler are right now. This team is good enough to make noise, especially if Brock comes back hopefully in mid-April.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Your spin on it seems SOOOO far off base.

It's more about being secure in the team.

Also...you put a whole lot out there that's speculation.  "Future value TO acquire....or to be traded for".  I'd like your crystal ball for the lottery numbers.

My Madden point was he was thrown away for kinda nothing....there’s better ways he could of been Handled.

kids (the CDC posters) just want candy here....and not wanting to brush with common sense....it’s all about the now with no care for a Better tomorrow and the next day after.....then they wonder why Canucks haven’t won a cup yet....cuz you need patience to do it right.

people here are looking for short cuts.

This Canucks seasons success will not be from this trade. It’s from the Players Canucks already had....this trade was just a GM fart.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Wow... JB in close talks with NJD..

Simmonds, Vantanen, Palmieri ??

Benning is all in. I see another prospect going out. Can't give up more picks this years draft.

Who are our untouchable prospects: Podkolzin, OJ, and DiPietro?  To rent Tofu cost Madden and a second.  If there are no picks included the Devils (who are clearly rebuilding) will expect a sure thing prospect.  I’m worried.  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Benning is all in. I see another prospect going out. Can't give up more picks this years draft.

Any reports on that still?

Heard he didn't want to give up picks but I can see lesser prospects for Simmonds. I heard Vatanen is sideline and Palmeri would cost a bit

11 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

My Madden point was he was thrown away for kinda nothing....there’s better ways he could of been Handled.

kids (the CDC posters) just want candy here....and not wanting to brush with common sense....it’s all about the now with no care for a Better tomorrow and the next day after.....then they wonder why Canucks haven’t won a cup yet....cuz you need patience to do it right.

people here are looking for short cuts.

This Canucks seasons success will not be from this trade. It’s from the Players Canucks already had....this trade was just a GM fart.

There is no perfect recipe and you have to get there to win.  

Every team that gets in has a chance....if they get goaltending, good officiating, some luck, health.

It's like you're trying to come up with the perfect formula...you don't think everyone's tried theirs?  

It's not about "on paper" and if anything helps us, it's a guy who's been there.  You don't think he'll have something to share with the guys he sits beside on the bench?  That will help them/us down the road?

A better tomorrow is...today.   We've got Petey, Quinn, goaltending, a captain who's taken this team on as his own and it's time to start letting the horses run.  Time is now (to at least start the process...it might not be a one and done as you're banking on....that's not patient in my view - it's unrealistic)).

You start to give it a go and let the guys get a feel for it.  You don't wait for the "perfect opportunity" ... I'm not sure Petey will have much more patience if we don't get in this year.  I think he's chomping at the bit.  I think Marky's in perfect form.  I think you strike while the iron's hot and see how far it takes you.   Then you use that experience to progress even further.  You let the guys gain some confidence in the process...not wait until, on paper, the time is right.  A patient approach isn't "waiting" but "trying" and learning.  Building from something rather than dreaming about something. 

There's value in that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who are our untouchable prospects: Podkolzin, OJ, and DiPietro?  To rent Tofu cost Madden and a second.  If there are no picks included the Devils (who are clearly rebuilding) will expect a sure thing prospect.  I’m worried.  

I'd add Woo and Hoglander

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Any reports on that still?

Heard he didn't want to give up picks but I can see lesser prospects for Simmonds. I heard Vatanen is sideline and Palmeri would cost a bit

TSN1040 just said they are talking according to Jeff Patterson. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Only guy I’d really want that may be available would be Severson

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I hope we get another D-man like a Luke Schenn type, low salary, competent. Our forwards depth in the farm is fairly decent (for now) with McEwen, Bailey, Baertchi, to a lesser extent Goldy and Boucher. One injury in the top 4 and we're hooped, I'd like to see that depth shored up. You can hide forwards depending on the matchup but its extremely tough to hide D-men

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

JB has said repeatedly in the past that he's always talking to other GM'S, always. 

Anything coming out of media in the next week before tdl has to be taken with an even bigger grain of salt imo as they get even more nuts than average fans.....it's all about the ratings to them.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

There is no perfect recipe and you have to get there to win.  

Every team that gets in has a chance....if they get goaltending, good officiating, some luck, health.

It's like you're trying to come up with the perfect formula...you don't think everyone's tried theirs?  

It's not about "on paper" and if anything helps us, it's a guy who's been there.  You don't think he'll have something to share with the guys he sits beside on the bench?  That will help them/us down the road?

A better tomorrow is...today.   We got Petey, Quinn, goaltending, a captain who's taken this team on as his own.  Time is now (to at least start the process...it might not be a one and done as you're banking on).

You start to give it a go and let the guys get a feel for it.  You don't wait for the "perfect opportunity" ... I'm not sure Petey will have much more patience if we don't get in this year.  I think he's chomping at the bit.  I think Marky's in perfect form.  I think you strike while the iron's hot and see how far it takes you.  

How old are Petey and Quinn?

i think they got a long career ahead of them. There’s no short cuts.....trading for stupid Rental players are Leaf thinking moves.

• Like 1
  • Wat 2