The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, kawhi so serious? said:

Haven't completely read through this thread yet, but looks like a bit of push back for mortgaging the future from some people.

Guys like Petey and Hughes are in the infancy of their careers, and who knows what the ceiling could be. So to optimize development of our core, I think it makes sense to start going for playoff hockey asap and to win as much as possible right now.

We're sacrificing the future for a better future.

I'd say it's probably 65/35 in support

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With a potential cap crunch looming, we're going to need some prospects to come in and contribute on entry level deals. Now we have one less player that can do that, and potentially one more high salary on the books (assuming Toffoli resigns). These size issues were also legitimate issues for Petey and Hughes, but they were able to overcome them. Talented players can generally overcome such issues, and Madden is certainly a talented player. And even if returning to the Kings is off the table for Toffoli, that still leaves 29 other teams that he can sign with after the season is done. Not to mention that we have some pretty glaring issues on the blueline that I feel overshadow any offensive issues the team has, even with Boeser out. If we absolutely had to trade Madden, I would have much rather addressed those issues. 

If this deal were proposed in the armchair GM section at this point two days ago, what do you think the reaction would have been?

If this deal was in the GM section with the knowledge that Boeser, Leivo and Ferland are out for the rest of the year, 3 top 9 guys, I'd personally want a top 6 player.  Otherwise we risk losing a chance at success and wasting a year. What kind of message does that send to the roster players like our young players or FAs like Marky and Tanev?

Did you hear when Benning said that he sees "conservatively" 7 players making the roster next 3 years? He said he's very comfortable with the depth and even considers Madden as a winger when asked about the depth at C.

Yeah Petey and Hughes had weight issues but they are also top 10 picks with weight issues. They are elite skill hence why they were drafted so high. If Madden was elite he'd be drafted a lot higher but he isn't at their level. He's talented but not Petey/Hughes talented or even the best prospect we have. You can't use that argument because actual top end prospects had even less glaring weight issues.

Yeah we have glaring issues on the blueline with our top 6 D but that doesn't discount our injury issues in our top 9 forwards with 3 guys out.

FTR I want us to re-sign Toffoli because he makes us a better team moving forward. A lot has to happen with the cap.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

JB has said repeatedly in the past that he's always talking to other GM'S, always. 

Anything coming out of media in the next week before tdl has to be taken with an even bigger grain of salt imo as they get even more nuts than average fans.....it's all about the ratings to them.

Completely agree. I never believe what these so called "insiders" say. They make a good judgement call and report it as some secret in side info.

For example none of them had an idea about the Toffoli trade prior to it happening. Then took half hour for details coming out. Step by step. Little details at a time. Not one of them got it beforehand and not one got all the details. They were all spoon fed bits and pieces at a time shared amongst them by the powers that be. 

• Like 1

I think it makes even more sense why we got Foli now since Boeser is out for the season and playoffs we do make it.

I feel like if we do make it, Foli night want to resign with us. Not only because it’s Vancouver or Pearson, but we are an upcoming team with a shot of a cup )if everything goes to plan) down the road. And the fact that he’s a complimentary piece to our top 6.

If Foli works out, then this is a trade that benefits everyone.

• Cheers 1

f Trading a prospect like Madden, and a 2nd, because he wouldn't have a shot on this team, then why not trade Madden for a Dman?

Surely we must have a young TT on our team to promote or vet on the farm to help?

(I thought D wins cups (prob why Leafs won't get to finals)

When the injuries for wingers are back, then we are stacked once again with forwards, and hurting for Dmen and what will TT want next year if you can sign him, and even afford him, with others needing to be resigned?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

f Trading a prospect like Madden, and a 2nd, because he wouldn't have a shot on this team, then why not trade Madden for a Dman?

Surely we must have a young TT on our team to promote or vet on the farm to help?

When the injuries for wingers are back, then we are stacked once again with forwards, and hurting for Dmen and what will TT want next year if you can sign him, and even afford him, with others needing to be resigned?

Back? Boeser and Leivo are gone for the season 

29 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

How old are Petey and Quinn?

i think they got a long career ahead of them. There’s no short cuts.....trading for stupid Rental players are Leaf thinking moves.

I don't think this is some "stupid rental player." 

And there are no shortcuts, (ie, Oilers) or absolute way of going about it. If there were, we'd all be rich! 

Point is, I believe Benning is thinking long-term. And I think someone like Toffoli will be in the picture when we are in a position to challenge for the cup.

• Cheers 1

After losing Boeser for the season we go and get a replacement to keep pushing for a playoff spot because we have played really good hockey and yet people are complaining 

if we didn’t get tofolli and didn’t make the playoffs then people would cry we didn’t do anything to stay competitive 

poor benning 

200.gif

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe Tryamkin is coming back, Benning thinks OJ is ready, or both?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If this deal was in the GM section with the knowledge that Boeser, Leivo and Ferland are out for the rest of the year, 3 top 9 guys, I'd personally want a top 6 player.  Otherwise we risk losing a chance at success and wasting a year. What kind of message does that send to the roster players like our young players or FAs like Marky and Tanev?

Did you hear when Benning said that he sees "conservatively" 7 players making the roster next 3 years? He said he's very comfortable with the depth and even considers Madden as a winger when asked about the depth at C.

Yeah Petey and Hughes had weight issues but they are also top 10 picks with weight issues. They are elite skill hence why they were drafted so high. If Madden was elite he'd be drafted a lot higher but he isn't at their level. He's talented but not Petey/Hughes talented or even the best prospect we have. You can't use that argument because actual top end prospects had even less glaring weight issues.

Yeah we have glaring issues on the blueline with our top 6 D but that doesn't discount our injury issues in our top 9 forwards with 3 guys out.

FTR I want us to re-sign Toffoli because he makes us a better team moving forward. A lot has to happen with the cap.

I think hindsight bias is very much so coming into play here, but OK.

To completely discredit everything Madden is doing right now, from being drafted in the third round and working his way into a player that would arguably be a 1st rd pick in a redraft because of his size just seems wrong to me. And if Benning didn't feel he couldn't overcome those issues, why would he have drafted him in the first place?

As far as our top 9 is concerned, even with those three guys out we still have six forwards in our lineup that are producing at a .5 PPG average or better, not to mention Goldobin, Baertschi and Boucher all lighting it up in Utica. There were more glaring holes to fill imho. 

FTR I think Toffoli is a nice addition, and want to resign him as well, but how would we get it done without moving out a significant piece like Tanev, thus making it a redundant move and perhaps even hurting us more on the blueline?

• Cheers 1

Just heard Toffoli's wife apparently has a good job with LA Dodgers.

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Or ANA could be an option. 

Just got that info. I'm much less confident we will re sign him now.

This looks mostly like a pure and simple rental. 

• Like 1