The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, NeilColville said:

So just create a losing culture the way Edmonton has the last 15 years... seems legit. 

We still haven’t made the playoffs yet.  If we continue to slide, and Miss the playoffs, is this trade still worth it?  The trade, like the Miller deal, is very fair value,  but it’s too soon to make such trades.  We need one (better two) more young core guys.  

10 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Trying to save his job??? We literally just resigned him and we have been a legit competitive team this year! Our prospect pool is getting filled and Madden was likely behind both Podkolzin and Hoglander in terms of making the team, and you can probably count some players in Utica above him too. Yes Madden was a good prospect but he probably wasn’t going to crack the roster anytime soon. And we had to give up something to get Toffolli. 

We have a competitive team when our goalie plays like prime Hasek.

Our prospect pool is nothing special relatively speaking as all the other teams have similar prospects.

Madden could have been a cost-controlled 2-year ELC which would have been nice because idk if you've seen our cap situation but it isn't looking good. He could have slotted anywhere in the lineup, because, let's face it, we have garbage, overpriced wingers. 

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

If it’s Madden I wonder if he told the Canucks he wasn’t going to sign after college

I think you may be on to something--Madden's "rights" aren't really anything other than the good will you get from drafting him.  If he thinks there's a better situation for him elsewhere, he can ditch the team that holds the rights and go there, so it's not as steep a price as it may seem.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

We have a competitive team when our goalie plays like prime Hasek.

Our prospect pool is nothing special relatively speaking as all the other teams have similar prospects.

Madden could have been a cost-controlled 2-year ELC which would have been nice because idk if you've seen our cap situation but it isn't looking good. He could have slotted anywhere in the lineup, because, let's face it, we have garbage, overpriced wingers. 

They have Lucas Jasek to fill the same role

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Two ways (of many) to look at this:

The dark side -
JB is desperate to save his job. 

Toffoli is 27, he probably has three years left in what might very well be the waning years of his career. Adding a forward to a team with this defence (other than Hughes) is like lip-sticking a pig.  We are giving up Madden who will absolutely lead the Kings to another Stanley Cup three years from now. The extra cap pressure of this contract will keep us from re-signing Pettersson? Hughes? Markstrom? Fill in one of the above. Blah, blah, blah.......

The bright side - 

I am desperate to see the Canucks win a Stanley before I surrender this mortal coil and I have only a few seasons left. The Leipsic on our defence will make opposing forwards reluctant to get close to them. Toffoli is the second coming of Miller. There are no more key injuries in the offing. We actually have a plan to survive the coming cap tsunami.

I think I feel incipient schizophrenia - my only possibility of escape is to not be invested in this team in any way. I feel a rush of pity for anyone who is an owner of a hockey team as an act of love - it must be awful to be jilted so harshly and so often.

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Gillis deserves another opportunity imo

His drafting is the reason he hasn't gotten one. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Would have been sweet if we got anywhere close to the prices this season for guys like Vrbata, Hamhuis and Vanek in years past.

Vanek got us Motte and that's worked out well for us.

Pretty key 4th line guy we paid nothing for.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You honestly think Pearson is top six?

in the Pacific maybe, nowhere else 

he runs hot and cold and his position raking is below average 

I like him, as a 3rd or 4th line guy 

Not a whole lot of 41 point third or fourth liners in the NHL right now. Pearson is an elite 3rd liner or average second liner in the NHL. Even among good teams.