The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

best way to keep him is by having his rights. not making him ufa.

I believe these are new rules since last time he came over.

They have been leaning on him to sign extension. Took his C away, cut his ice time, put pressure on him earlier in season.

They didn't take away his C. Dawes came back from injury. Tryamkin was simply keeping it warm. I believe he is amongst their leadership group and in camp, he was leading warmups.

Whatever ice time they cut, they have given back in spades. He actually leads the defense for TOI per game (albeit by about 3 seconds), but earlier in the year when I had checked he was 2nd, so they must've been giving him some top minutes of late to bump him up. He's been too good for them lately to play games with him, they need to play him.

They may have put pressure on him earlier on, so the fact that he still hasn't signed is promising for us. If they chose to hold him back, then that's only more incentive to stay here rather than have a fall back faithful team. It's best for Atvo to keep on his good side. This would bode well for him to sign back with them even if he is a "UFA" if they show respect for his wishes.

Heck no.....if we didn't have Myers ,sure. Edler and Myers have looked good....or unless Barrie is cheap but if we are moving assets then I rather go after the perfect D partner for Hughes cause edler is only here for sure one more season, so unless you want Hughes playing with Myers or Barrie , look for an upgrade over Tanev like Josh Manson :) 

so two choices really...

1.edler Barrie 

Hughes Myers 

2.edler Myers 

Hughes Manson 

i can tell you which one I like better......2

• Cheers 2

On 2/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, Alflives said:

Tanev is a much more important player to a team winning than Barrie.  

Exactly.  Why would we do that? Barrie would not make this team better if he was replacing Tanev. Also, who is to say Barrie does any better this year with the canucks then he has in Toronto?

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So, lots on here don't want Barrie in a Canuck uniform it seems via trade or as a ufa signing. So, we are a team going to roll with 1 offensive minded D and the rest meh? Couple older guys who get some points but can't rush the puck, create or be offensive?

Not saying we should overpay for him in a trade or as a ufa, but having an offensive minded D on both our top pairings would be nice. I would prefer Barrie over Myers but we are stuck with the skinny pale giant 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No need for TB with Hughes.

Side note, I played JR against his dad.........he was the only teenager to show up to the games with a kid!

I also played on the BC under 17 team for his grandfather, who was an excellent coach.

Ya , his grandfather ran a hockey school in kelowna too. Went to it 4 summers. His Dad came out for power skating.  Good family. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't see JB trading for Barrie but if he did, it would be something like Stecher + Juolevi/Rafferty + roster player (Baertschi? Roussel?). No thanks.

For a rental? No way that is happening! 

Also, these rumours are ridiculous. TO is not shopping Barrie. He is a good player playing well. They need him to make and compete in the playoffs. 

Barrie is not going anywhere!

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

Lind is a reasonable call up option now, and will be pushing for a spot by next season possibly. In five years Lind may be a staple to our middle six, and probable for the top nine at least.. Barrie is a bottom six, expiring contract, smaller Defenseman.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing value wise

Lind is all potential right now. He's proven nothing at the NHL level. Thats the same with all prospects, they all look like Gretzky before they've ever played an NHL game. 

Its a risk for sure, but we have other winger prospects and this is one of the few areas of depth we have to trade from. 

49 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So, lots on here don't want Barrie in a Canuck uniform it seems via trade or as a ufa signing. So, we are a team going to roll with 1 offensive minded D and the rest meh? Couple older guys who get some points but can't rush the puck, create or be offensive?

Not saying we should overpay for him in a trade or as a ufa, but having an offensive minded D on both our top pairings would be nice. I would prefer Barrie over Myers but we are stuck with the skinny pale giant 

Everything ultimately comes back to cost/benefit. Nobody would have an issue with Barrie if we traded a 2030 7th rounder for him and he re-signed at league minimum. That isn't going to happen though, and the cost to acquire/keep him is not something most fans are willing to part with given where the team is at right now. Don't act like its a black and white "either make a move for Barrie or you only want Quinn Hughes as an offensive D-man" It isn't that simple.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lind is all potential right now. He's proven nothing at the NHL level. Thats the same with all prospects, they all look like Gretzky before they've ever played an NHL game. 

Its a risk for sure, but we have other winger prospects and this is one of the few areas of depth we have to trade from. 

You're nuts!! You think all prospects are worth the same since the haven't played in the NHL yet? So Lind, Podkolzin, and Palmu all have the same worth in your eyes, all worth a 4th because they haven't played in the NHL yet.. do you know the difference in value between a first, fourth, and seventh round pick? 

And you also don't trade just because we have a little depth somewhere, our prospect pool is good but not exactly deep.. 

Edited by kylecanuck

40 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

You're nuts!! You think all prospects are worth the same since the haven't played in the NHL yet? So Lind, Podkolzin, and Palmu all have the same worth in your eyes, all worth a 4th because they haven't played in the NHL yet.. do you know the difference in value between a first, fourth, and seventh round pick? 

And you also don't trade just because we have a little depth somewhere, our prospect pool is good but not exactly deep.. 

I'm saying people very often over value prospects. I offer Dane Fox into evidence. 

Of course you trade from depth if you've got it. 

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Canucks Trying to Land Tyson Barrie?

According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Vancouver Canucks might be putting together a package that would see them land defenseman Tyson Barrie from the Vancouver Canucks. That package would include defenseman Troy Stecher and forward Sven Baerstchi going back to the Maple Leafs.

That is a false account...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm saying people very often over value prospects. I offer Dane Fox into evidence. 

Of course you trade from depth if you've got it. 

Wow, you nailed it, Lind is a clone of fox...I'm not over valuating, you're bottom lining everyone to the same nomination...

And having four potential wingers for the future isn't really depth.... it's nice, but not depth

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

Wow, you nailed it, Lind is a clone of fox...I'm not over valuating, you're bottom lining everyone to the same nomination...

And having four potential wingers for the future isn't really depth.... it's nice, but not depth

calm down please. All I'm saying is you don't really know what a prospect is worth until they prove themselves. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

For a rental? No way that is happening! 

Also, these rumours are ridiculous. TO is not shopping Barrie. He is a good player playing well. They need him to make and compete in the playoffs. 

Barrie is not going anywhere!

I see us grabbing Bogosian..  Stetcher possibly moved for future consideration somewhere.

ZB was not picked up at 50% retained.. (2.5m).. today a UFA. We need less “peach fuzz”.

Barrie changes nothing.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1