The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #38

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #38  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #38 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Rota
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Smith
    • K. McCarthy
    • R. Lanz
    • I. Larionov

This poll is closed to new votes

After another insanely close competition, Dave Babych was named the #36 player of all-time and Odjick automatically placed at #37.

Nominations were adequate enough to justly name two players from the set of names. Lanz led the way with five nominations and Larionov was just behind with four, so both were added as voting options.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

• Cheers 1

Voting for Rota once again. I'm sure one of these days he'll finally get some strong support and get in.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for my controversial nomination: Brock Boeser.

This nomination is most controversial because it doesn't appeal to either of the broader groups here. Long-time fans won't like it because he's only a kid and has only played three seasons with us. Newer fans will appreciate it somewhat, but struggle to understand why I have him above Pettersson. The simple answer to why he's above Petey is three seasons vs two seasons. 

I also genuinely think that Boeser's offensive production in a time where offense is a far cry from the 70s through the 90s is still underrated. I think with Pettersson in the fold now (and even Miller most recently), he's being overshadowed and doesn't get enough credit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Voting for Rota once again. I'm sure one of these days he'll finally get some strong support and get in.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for my controversial nomination: Brock Boeser.

This nomination is most controversial because it doesn't appeal to either of the broader groups here. Long-time fans won't like it because he's only a kid and has only played three seasons with us. Newer fans will appreciate it somewhat, but struggle to understand why I have him above Pettersson. The simple answer to why he's above Petey is three seasons vs two seasons. 

I also genuinely think that Boeser's offensive production in a time where offense is a far cry from the 70s through the 90s is still underrated. I think with Pettersson in the fold now (and even Miller most recently), he's being overshadowed and doesn't get enough credit.

Horvat, EP, BB and maybe even Miller are destined to work there way up the list eventually...congratulations Babych and Gino!

• Cheers 1

Curt Fraser does not get enough love in here.

For those that can, think back to the opening round of the 1982 playoffs. Vancouver finishes 2 points ahead of their Calgary Flames rival in the regular season and they meet in the opening round in what is considered a pick'em series. Stan Smyl scores 8 seconds into game one in front of a wild Pacific Coliseum crowd. Calgary senses that they need an immediate response to change the momentum and immediately sends out their tough guy, Willi Plett at 6'3" and 200+ lbs, to make that momentum change. Right after the face-off Plett challenges Fraser and Fraser absolutely destroys him.....series is effectively over after 12 seconds into game 1.

Fraser was one tough SOB from the day he joined the Canucks and was instrumental in allowing Gradin and Smyl the opportunity to develop their game without worrying about other team goons. He also chipped in with 28 goals and 67 points during that epic 1982 run.

The Chicago Blackhawks  were so impressed with his conference finals series against the Hawks that they traded to obtain him the following season. They thought so highly of him that they made this trade.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Tony Tanti
January 6, 1983
Curt Fraser Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1