The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I imagine Jake would respond something like this... :lol:

I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now

Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practiceman, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice 

and nobody will be there to hear him say it, because euro league and ahl players don't get the same soapbox that nhl players do. 

• Haha 1

Moving On Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Is anyone excited that we are about see some playoff type action soon? What a journey we have been through the last few years to get back to this point. Proud of the guys no matter what the outcome is. It's been a fun (and interesting) season so far and hopefully we can continue it with a long run. This is only the start of what's to come.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Moving On Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Is anyone excited that we are about see some playoff type action soon? What a journey we have been through the last few years to get back to this point. Proud of the guys no matter what the outcome is. It's been a fun (and interesting) season so far and hopefully we can continue it with a long run. This is only the start of what's to come.

I agree. So pumped with the direction of the team as a whole.

Best case: make a run and our young guns gain valuable experience about what it takes to win in the playoffs

Worst case: lose to the wild and our young guns gain valuable experience about what it takes to win in the playoffs (+ silver lining long shot draft chance increases)

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, tas said:

and nobody will be there to hear him say it, because euro league and ahl players don't get the same soapbox that nhl players do. 

lol the guy is a 23 year old on a 20g pace in the NHL while playing 3rd line minutes and you're relegating him to the AHL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

jobs aren't earned on the stat sheet, they're earned with work habits. 

Tyler Motte is a great example of this.  Nobody is talking about leaving him off the team despite his points totals.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

lol the guy is a 23 year old on a 20g pace in the NHL while playing 3rd line minutes and you're relegating him to the AHL

he's on the midnight train to baertschi land. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OT (and it doesn't deserve it's own thread)......but I thought the following was kind of funny:

Panarin showing some of that jake like immaturity. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for both teams.

To nyr

Virtanen 

Conditional 5th

To van

Panarin 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Tyler Motte is a great example of this.  Nobody is talking about leaving him off the team despite his points totals.  Go Canucks Go!

Motte looked terrible against Winnipeg.  I thoguht the point was to win games, not ice the hardest working team to lose a series

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Markstrom doesn't  get many points either. I'd say it is because certain players fit certain roles.

Virtanen adds more than garbage sutter.

An out if shape JV is still quicker than 3/4 of the team.
Doesn’t matter they need to come up with some scape goat BS to let young talented players go because the management has capped out on soft veteran  “leaders” that have done nothing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Doesn’t matter they need to come up with some scape goat BS to let young talented players go because the management has capped out on soft veteran  “leaders” that have done nothing. 

I wouldn't necessarily call Sutter garbage but Jake certainly adds a dimension to the roster that, unless Ferland can find his old form, is basically totally missing.  Jake isn't consistent of course, but his ability has to be respected by opponents.

I really think that having Jake in as the 13th forward would make a lot of sense.  Green can still ice the 12 forwards he trusts the most and roll in Jake whenever appropriate.  Unlike rolling in MacEwen or Eriksson, Jake's speed and ability to hit would require a significant adjustment from Minnesota.  He's not as safe a player as Eriksson and not as big as MacEwen, but he seems like he would be a handful for Minnesota to handle.

Was just notified that 13th forward rule might have just been for exhibition so disregard if that's the case... sigh.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

8 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

I agree with your take on Jake, but not so much in the bolded.  Veteran leadership is critical to a young group........had Sutter stayed healthy he would have been a key part of the development of the youth.

In Regards to Virtanen, it makes me think of the "relationship advice needed" thread in the off topic forum about a month ago.  The thread creator was lamenting on what to do about a gf who he cared about, but had things he had concerns about.  His course of action was that he was trying to change her behaviour and pesonality and it wasn't working out.  I feel they are doing the same with Jake, they are trying to change who he is as a player instead of letting him be who he is.  You can develop skills and even a work ethic to a degree, but a players personality is who that player is.  He's progressing nicely, putting up better numbers every year and he looks like he'll grow into a solid 25 goal, 50 point player who can hit, skate and steal pucks frm opposing players.  Not every player can fit into the same box, a team is made up of many diffrent personalities.

They either have to stop trying to force Jake into being someone he's not or they have to cut him loose so he can be successful elsewhere.

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't necessarily call Sutter garbage but Jake certainly adds a dimension to the roster that, unless Ferland can find his old form, is basically totally missing.  Jake isn't consistent of course, but his ability has to be respected by opponents.

I really think that having Jake in as the 13th forward would make a lot of sense.  Green can still ice the 12 forwards he trusts the most and roll in Jake whenever appropriate.  Unlike rolling in MacEwen or Eriksson, Jake's speed and ability to hit would require a significant adjustment from Minnesota.  He's not as safe a player as Eriksson and not as big as MacEwen, but he seems like he would be a handful for Minnesota to handle.

The 13F + 7D was a one off for the exhibition game only.  It's now back to 18 skaters max. 

Certain figures in the Vancouver media reporting on Canucks have resorted to exaggerating two little comments Green made and a healthy scratch as the end of the relationship between Jv & Canucks. I read some of the articles and it’s not surprising to see that these writers use only examples of situations that supports their narrative but don’t cover comments or situations in favour of JV. This is just trash media reporting, and disgraceful TBH. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Certain figures in the Vancouver media reporting on Canucks have resorted to exaggerating two little comments Green made and a healthy scratch as the end of the relationship between Jv & Canucks. I read some of the articles and it’s not surprising to see that these writers use only examples of situations that supports their narrative but don’t cover comments or situations in favour of JV. This is just trash media reporting, and disgraceful TBH. 

Sounds like certain CDC members and all of HFBoards.